Quantcast
300zx question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 300zx question

Default 300zx question

At the moment I am deciding between an E36 M3 with 140k, and a 300zx ( which I know little about).

Being a university student and requiring a daily driver is the 300zx reliable and decent on gas?
    Does it spare the owner of hefty repair bills or is it up there like the E36?
    Is it about as fun to drive as an e36? (i.e RWD, tourqey, ect..)
    And what is with all 300zx's being automatics, does anyone know of a standard 300zx, black or blue, for sale?

I would not consider them decent on gas. If you get a N/A, it'd be less troublesome as a DD

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Most 300ZX's here are automatics because when I was looking for mine, I found they were cheaper and tended to be in far better shape and unmodified, they were also relatively plentiful. I suppose you would have to think about the type of person that would drive a 5spd vs auto. Also, it's much easier to bag on a manual car. It's not a bad automatic (electronically controlled & the JDM cars have a "power mode" as well as a "hold" mode for wet conditions), but of course, a manual would be preferable. The auto's are faster 1/4 mile.

As far as reliability goes - they are older cars, so you'll find that some components like rubber seals and hoses will have begun to age and crack and you might start to see corrosion on electrical contacts, typical age related stuff you see on any car of that age. That being said, I've have zero reliability issues with mine - the car has been rock solid and runs great. I was lucky though, a bunch of service work (timing belt, water pump, new tires, brakes, etc.) had been done on mine before it was brought over. Aftermarket support is good. The VG is a good engine. Bit of a pain to work on, but not as bad as people make it out to be.

Gas mileage - since it's turbocharged, it depends largely on how you drive. I stay off the boost when I'm tooling to and from school in traffic, so I can get up to 400km on a 60L tank taking it easy. Drive more spirited, that drops to about 300km. Premium of course.

I can't compare how it is to drive vs an E36, but torque is decent (280 ft-lbs). Of course, with turbo lag, you have to wait a little for things to start happening, but once they do, the car is a rocket and it feels like it will just keep going - the speed really can accumulate. Which can be dangerous if the car hits boost when you don't want to, it's something you have to be aware of and think ahead about when driving the car. This can make it a little tough to drive "spirited" in traffic, by the time you've started to accelerate, you're out of room so there's really no point. Open road though, it's great.The car can be tail happy, so you definitely need to make sure you're pointing straight if you punch it. I got into a scary spot trying to make a lane change one time...

Handling is rock solid, but the car is a little on the heavy side, but with a low, wide stance, so it almost feels like driving a running back.
    Last edited by badatusrnames; 02-24-2009 at 08:47 PM.

E36 is all about prior maintainence. If its not well maintained look to be replacing:
    - the entire cooling system (from rad to hoses to waterpump to fan, everything)
    - electrical gremlins will be reoccurring (window regulators, electrical fuses, CEL that will keep coming on and traction control lights)
    - Suspension can all go at once very quickly, check bushings, struts, springs, everything. It can be quite expensive.
    - If mileage is getting up there, check clutch, most M3's I drove had clutches that were beat on and needed a new one.

As a student, I'd avoid one unless you have the $$ to afford a well maintained US M3 from Arizona which has been maintained since day 1 (expensive with the Canadian dollar, but can be found).

300ZX can be semi-reliable nightmare's if, again, it hasn't been well maintained. Whoever said that auto's are often more reliable is 100% right, most 5 speed 300's are beat on. I wouldn't get either as a student. I've said it once and i'll say it again, as a student, get a beater car and save your money. School is expensive as we all know, and the money you save will be worth it if something ever happens to your vehicle.. plus you'll have more money to go out as a student
    Spend like $5k and buy something boring and reliable, like a Civic (*shudders*) or a Maxima.

My Ride
    1991 JDM 300zxTT 2+2

I agree 100% with the above posts and I also agree that neither car is a good candidate for a student's DD.
    I also havent had any mechanical issues with my 300zx and with general maintenance, any car will be good to you. My car is also fairly modified and with a good plan as to where you want to head with the car, it can be just as reliable as its stock counterpart.

The 300zx TT is a very fun car to drive on the street and the track. Great handling, lots of torque and plenty of power in just about any situation. The NA is also a fun and good looking car but minus the fast factor and the issues found with forced induction cars.

I agree autos are more commonly found for sale and manuals will generally be more beat on throughout their life. A smart buyer with the knowledge about the car will be the main factor of whether you will have a good car to play with or a broken money pit.

My Ride
    A twin turbo boat & a twin turbo station wagon

above posts are right, a z is for fun, N/A's and auto tend to be more reliable obviously much cheaper than TT MT, not for saving gas, or having it for a long time without anything breaking, look on kijiji there are tons of cars that will last you some time and save you on gas for under 2k

Thanks for the tips.

I do own an E36 currently and am well aware of the the maintenance issues, and do agree it is incredibly important to do preventative maintenance, although the rad in the 325I blew up overnight

I dont think Ill be looking at the 300zx anymore from what has been said. I can see it being a car that gets abused by younger owners.

I am actually considering getting a b4000 mazda base-model, truck to get me through university, I think it financing is 340/m.. so not to bad, and I heard it quite a reliable little truck.

My 95 325I is for sale on beyond but im not sure if the price is too high because I am not getting much interest. If anyone can fgive me a estimate of what it should be at that'd help. its a 95 with 185,000k that needs nothing maintenance wise
    Last edited by colt22; 02-25-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Originally posted by colt22
    Thanks for the tips.

I do own an E36 currently and am well aware of the the maintenance issues, and do agree it is incredibly important to do preventative maintenance, although the rad in the 325I blew up overnight

I dont think Ill be looking at the 300zx anymore from what has been said. I can see it being a car that gets abused by younger owners.

I am actually considering getting a b4000 mazda base-model, truck to get me through university, I think it financing is 340/m.. so not to bad, and I heard it quite a reliable little truck.

My 95 325I is for sale on beyond but im not sure if the price is too high because I am not getting much interest. If anyone can fgive me a estimate of what it should be at that'd help. its a 95 with 185,000k that needs nothing maintenance wise
    Your E36 should be priced around $5k if its in good shape. Ask more if its absolutely mint and has nice wheels, etc.
    you're going to finance a vehicle through University?

Originally posted by Generic

Your E36 should be priced around $5k if its in good shape. Ask more if its absolutely mint and has nice wheels, etc.
    you're going to finance a vehicle through University?
    The car is priced at 7,900.. too high?
    Last edited by colt22; 02-25-2009 at 03:20 PM.

My Ride
    Mazda 6s GT

My $0.02...

Neither as a DD if you're a student.
    Buy a Civic, or a Saturn, or something more economic until you're out and not forking over big bucks for books, and tuition.

That said, I'd go for the 300 any day. Its more "rare" in the sense that not every douche and his dog are driving them.
    Case in point: I work downtown. I see more BMWs, more 911s, more Jags - even more Bentleys downtown than 300s. In fact, to date I don't think I've seen more than 3 in the last five months I've worked in this location.

There's plenty of torque in the TT versions, but good luck finding a left hand drive model, and if you do, be prepared to pay lots of money for it... Seems like they are going for a premium.

I have a 5 speed. I'm pretty sure one day I'll have to replace the clutch plate eventually. But IMO it's worth the fun of having to stir the gears.
    Mine isn't my daily driver, its my toy, so I don't really have to deal with driving it during rush hour that often. If you deal with rush hour regularly, might as well go with an Auto. There's not a lot of difference in performance compared to other types of cars.

They are pretty heavy, so if you're looking for lots of performance, I would advise against a naturally aspirated model.
    Also, being such heavy cars, it's a pretty general statement that fuel costs are going to be higher than if you were driving... say, a Yaris....

And ALWAYS make sure (regardless of the car you get) that it's been inspected, comes with all its papers, and all the service records.

They aren't the cheapest to own or operate because of the age of the car, but if you're a true enthusiast who can appreciate the heritage, and unique factor, its worth every penny!
    Last edited by shin0bi; 02-25-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Mazda 6s GT
    RIP: Nissan Fairlady

Originally posted by colt22

The car is priced at 7,900.. too high?
    yeah about 2400 too high. ask $5500 obo and take anything over $4500 (take your best offer).

Originally posted by shin0bi

That said, I'd go for the 300 any day. Its more "rare" in the sense that not every douche and his dog are driving them.
    Case in point: I work downtown. I see more BMWs, more 911s, more Jags - even more Bentleys downtown than 300s. In fact, to date I don't think I've seen more than 3 in the last five months I've worked in this location.
    Well of course there will be more BMWs than 300zxs. One is a brand, the other a model . And please, 300zx rare? I see JDM 300zxs daily (in the summer of course). Unfortunately a lot of those drivers turn out to be douches too. I have an appreciation for a well maintained Canadian 300zx TT (or N/A for that matter) but this huge influx of JDM garbage has lowered the appeal of the car IMO.

My Ride
    A twin turbo boat & a twin turbo station wagon

"""That said, I'd go for the 300 any day. Its more "rare" in the sense that not every douche and his dog are driving them.
    Case in point: I work downtown. I see more BMWs, more 911s, more Jags - even more Bentleys downtown than 300s. In fact, to date I don't think I've seen more than 3 in the last five months I've worked in this location."""""""

Sorry if there is a car that everyone and their mom has in Calgary it's a skyline or a 300zx, wait til summer hits you will see 2 every day

Originally posted by SRT10Killer
    """That said, I'd go for the 300 any day. Its more "rare" in the sense that not every douche and his dog are driving them.
    Case in point: I work downtown. I see more BMWs, more 911s, more Jags - even more Bentleys downtown than 300s. In fact, to date I don't think I've seen more than 3 in the last five months I've worked in this location."""""""

Sorry if there is a car that everyone and their mom has in Calgary it's a skyline or a 300zx, wait til summer hits you will see 2 every day
    2? try 5+!

My Ride
    Ram

university student? i`d stay away from either... both sound like a maintenance nightmare to me

My Ride
    88 Mr-2 N/A / 86 Celica GTS

haha well iv kinda jumped around cars form a 6cy N/A to 4cyl to my 6cyl TT 300 and the first car was a bitch on gas being my first car i imagine it was my driving style the 4cyl god i could go forever on one tank it seemed and now the 300 i drive as efficient as possible and im getting great mileage i would say the main thing is your driving style if you drive an agressive 4cyl over a calm 6cyl you will waste more gas.
    Originally posted by Ben
    Ah yes, but does your car wake you up with your cock in it's intake as a nice little "Good Morning"? A Car might give you a hard on, but a girl knows just how to deal with it.

My Ride
    Mazda 6s GT

Originally posted by dimi

Well of course there will be more BMWs than 300zxs. One is a brand, the other a model . And please, 300zx rare? I see JDM 300zxs daily (in the summer of course). Unfortunately a lot of those drivers turn out to be douches too. I have an appreciation for a well maintained Canadian 300zx TT (or N/A for that matter) but this huge influx of JDM garbage has lowered the appeal of the car IMO.
    Ok, fair enough... I did just compare a brand to a model, didn't I...?

I suppose since I've only worked downtown for the winter months so far, this explains why I don't see many when compared to higher end luxury and exotics.
    Mine's parked for the winter, as I'm sure everyone else's is. Though I don't know why the Aston DBs and the 911's aren't parked as soon as the snow hits the ground... Maybe the rich douche who owns it has 2!?

I don't know why people always consider JDM to be garbage. If a car is improperly maintained, it doesn't matter what side of the globe it's from... its gonna be garbage! It is certainly possible to find decently maintained imports. I guess maybe the majority of them are crap? I dunno.

Mine is garbage by the way
    Last edited by shin0bi; 02-27-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Mazda 6s GT
    RIP: Nissan Fairlady

My Ride
    1991 JDM 300zxTT 2+2

the majority of imports are crap, plain and simple
    thats what leads most people to believe that they are not suitable as valued cars.

If people took the time to do their research and wait to find a mint import rather than jumping into the "shiney red one with the madd tyte spoilers and body kitz" at your neighorhood auction block importer, then the image of imported RHD would be quite the opposite. Also theres the fact that most people cant grasp the concept of driving on the wrong side of the car safely, purely because of lack of experience, no interest, or rumors and statistics about the pros and cons of doing so.