Quantcast
SR20 Performance - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SR20 Performance

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Otto,

Was that the first dyno run you've done with the installed parts or did you do one before that? Reason I ask is because when I took my car in, I had for the most part, a stock car with an RB in it and it made shit numbers, like completely disappointing..I think 150whp or something. Upgraded the exhaust and threw on a test pipe...went to go test out some an ECU and some chips...the stock one, I was around 210whp. Taking the cat out made a ridonkulous difference!

Just curious if you able to compare that beforehand or not.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Q7

Originally posted by msommers
    Otto,

Was that the first dyno run you've done with the installed parts or did you do one before that? Reason I ask is because when I took my car in, I had for the most part, a stock car with an RB in it and it made shit numbers, like completely disappointing..I think 150whp or something. Upgraded the exhaust and threw on a test pipe...went to go test out some an ECU and some chips...the stock one, I was around 210whp. Taking the cat out made a ridonkulous difference!

Just curious if you able to compare that beforehand or not.
    Yes, this was my first dyno run with the installed parts. whatever is not on the installed list is stock including the cat and the ecu. I wanted to do a dyno bone stock but, didnt do it. As for whp, i was expecting somewhere around 180 but still 177 is pretty darn close to that. Its also runing rich a bit since there is wallbro 255.
    Last edited by ottamania; 03-04-2009 at 05:29 PM.

My Ride
    STi

Red SR20 in 97 Kouki
    Megan turbo manifold
    GT2871R .86
    3" flex pipe
    Apexi Dual N1
    Greddy fmic w/ 2'' hot+cold piping
    HKS Bov
    RB25 MAF
    Z32 fuel filter
    650cc Deatschwerks
    Walbro 255 fuel pump
    piggyback rom tune on SR ECU
    stage3 fidanza aluminum clutch kit
    stock 7psi...

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Where did you dyno otto? was it a dynojet or was it a mustang dyno.

My Ride
    Q7

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    Where did you dyno otto? was it a dynojet or was it a mustang dyno.
    it was a dynojet @ davenport

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

165whp on a dynojet?? Hmm...
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

^ yah even factoring in drivetrain loss, that seems a bit low......

edit: well, at stock boost i guess not. I managed to get 13.7 in the quarter at 13 psi from the stock turbo on my s13 sr20 in my s14. I was running greddy front mount, 3.75" HKS Hi power exhaust, and the 13 psi with a manual boost controller. Turning up the boost really wakes these engines up, and that where youll see your biggest gain, provided you do it safely (=
    Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 03-05-2009 at 06:53 AM.

My Ride
    Q7

Originally posted by msommers
    165whp on a dynojet?? Hmm...
    165 hp with 177 tq

I made 143 WHP on my KA when it was N/A with turbo cams. On a land/sea dyno, which is comparable to a mustang. People say it's more heavily loaded than a mustang.

My Ride
    s13

its supposed to be more accurate than a mustang dyno...
    Ridin soLow - if sparks don't fly, your ride's too high

-the other day i saw a banana peel on the road and i swerved... thanks mario kart.

My Ride

The reason mustang dynos are lower in numbers, is because they simulate load like a road would. AFAIK, and this could be only the old Dynojets, they do not load the rollers. So you would read even lower on a mustang dyno haha.

to give a good comparison, my buddy's sr20 made 265 at the wheels with a t3/t4 and 550cc injectors at 12 psi. That was on toma's mustang dyno.
    Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 03-05-2009 at 07:49 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

13 psi with a manual boost controller.
    Good ol manual boost controllers, best dollar vs. power out there!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Q7

graph is up

My Ride
    is in hibernation mode

SR20DET Redtop
    FMIC kit
    M-R 3" downpipe
    M-R 3" Test Pipe
    Apexi EVO N1 Exhaust
    GT2871R
    Z32 Maf
    Apexi Power FC
    SARD 800cc Top feed injectors
    SARD Top Feed fuel Rail
    M-R Exhaust Manifold
    M-R Coilovers
    Ku Intake Manifold
    Ku 3" Throttle body
    Z32 brake conversion

NA SUCKS...... TURBO BLOWS

13.54 @ 106.8 mph

My Ride
    is in hibernation mode

The reason mustang dynos are lower in numbers, is because they simulate load like a road would. AFAIK, and this could be only the old Dynojets, they do not load the rollers. So you would read even lower on a mustang dyno haha.

with just FMIC, and full exhaust i pulled 208rwhp on tomas mustang dyno stock boost

13.54 @ 106.8 mph

My Ride

Originally posted by -KiTtY- boo

with just FMIC, and full exhaust i pulled 208rwhp on tomas mustang dyno stock boost
    Yah that sounds about right. Was your boost creeping or was it relatively stable? With an open exhaust you get a bit more response and a bit more pressure as well. The sr20 is rated at 200 hp at the crank stock, so fmic and exhaust adding 20 hp is about right, factoring in drivetrain loss. I read in a book however, and i cant remember which book, but it basically stated that drivetrain loss isnt what its widely accepted to be. They say its like 15%, in reality its more like 5% tops, but like i say, i cant remember where i read it. I remember when i brought my rx7 turbo II into davenport haha. I made 215 hp and 205 ft/lb of torque out of that little bastard. Only mods were 3" exhaust and s5 turbo, and 720cc secondaries. The rest was bone stock. That wasnt bad at all....and they use a dynojet.

Maybe ill chuck mine on the dyno this year depending on setup. I will be running 550cc, z32 maf, and charlies tune on my ecu with a 2860rs, fmic, HKS exhaust, greddy profec b boost controller, stock rad, stock block MAYBE.

Edit: In your quote kittyboo, it says 13.5@ 106 mph. Is that with your current setup? Were you having traction issues? can you remember what your 60' was? Reason i ask, is on stock turbo i was getting 13.7@101 MPH with a 2.017 60'. When i put 2860rs in at 10 psi, i was getting 13.8@ 106 mph, with a 2.371 60' as far as i remember, i would have to dig my slips out.
    Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 03-13-2009 at 05:56 AM.

My Ride

Well, due to debt being more important than car this year, ive decided to throw together another stock sr20det and see how it goes this season with a PROPER tune. I bought a block and head from jdmsource for 400$, it lost a keeper on the first two intake valves, so im guessing bent valves. so i will pull off the head, replace the valves and all the valve seals, and re-install. The bottom end looks ok, a bit sludgy, but we'll see, the price was right. Next year will be build year. See y'all at the track, rocking a stock bottom end, hopefully making 350 horsepower (=

My Ride
    1982 supra

My sr20 was 248 whp but ran out of fuel on a mustang Dyno i ran 13.3 at 108 with a bad 60ft of 2.6 . That was with my Silvia with a sr20det now it has a rb25det but not going to race it this year because i just got a 180 sx with a sr20 and been putting all my old stuff on it 2 more weeks and it is on the road.

My Ride
    240sx, 300c, turbo TE72, FG1 Civic, Pilot

Yah that sounds about right. Was your boost creeping or was it relatively stable?
    From what I recall it was very stable. Not sure what the boost setting was. From what I recall it was at 8psi. Anything beyond that and there was audible detonation.

The Autodream EPROM that she was running was optimized for stock to slightly raised boost. (advanced ignition, and slight fuel trim in the mid range and slightly richer near the top end)

With an open exhaust you get a bit more response and a bit more pressure as well. The sr20 is rated at 200 hp at the crank stock, so fmic and exhaust adding 20 hp is about right, factoring in drivetrain loss. I read in a book however, and i cant remember which book, but it basically stated that drivetrain loss isnt what its widely accepted to be. They say its like 15%, in reality its more like 5% tops, but like i say, i cant remember where i read it.
    From what I remember, its as the power increases, the drivetrain loss as a percentage decreases. I believe it has something to do with overcoming thedrag from the drivetrain. there is a given amount needed to overcome the drag, and a the loss thereafter is taken as a percentage.

This was very hazy in my memory, but from my recollection it was something like that.

I remember when i brought my rx7 turbo II into davenport haha. I made 215 hp and 205 ft/lb of torque out of that little bastard. Only mods were 3" exhaust and s5 turbo, and 720cc secondaries. The rest was bone stock. That wasnt bad at all....and they use a dynojet.
    Turbo II's are notorious for responding well to exhaust modifications.

Racing Beat claims 60 extra HP from their exhaust system alone. They're pretty quiet to boot.

I should've ran this on my S5.

Maybe ill chuck mine on the dyno this year depending on setup. I will be running 550cc, z32 maf, and charlies tune on my ecu with a 2860rs, fmic, HKS exhaust, greddy profec b boost controller, stock rad, stock block MAYBE.
    Try one of Nguyen's tunes. He's done about 20-30 similar setups. See which one you like better.

He's got an emulator and dyno, so it can be personalized to your setup, and the safety that you want to add in.

Edit: In your quote kittyboo, it says 13.5@ 106 mph. Is that with your current setup? Were you having traction issues? can you remember what your 60' was? Reason i ask, is on stock turbo i was getting 13.7@101 MPH with a 2.017 60'. When i put 2860rs in at 10 psi, i was getting 13.8@ 106 mph, with a 2.371 60' as far as i remember, i would have to dig my slips out.
    It wasn't fully tuned and i'm not sure that she was used to the setup. Watch out this year though. Christine seems to exponentially get better with practice.

On a side note:

It seems like S14 guys getter much better times than S13.

The only guy that is the contrary is Matt.

Any S13 guys out there want to show that they are tops?

ph: 403.248.1566
    email: [email protected]

Supertech, Link ECU, ViPec, Nistune, Competition Clutch, Nardi, Personal, Worksbell, Seibon, VIS, Shine Auto Project, Agency Power, Status, Full-Race, Stillen, Mazworx,
    Megan Racing, Zedd Performance, Varrstoen

My Ride
    is in hibernation mode

Originally posted by AutodreamMarvin
    It wasn't fully tuned and i'm not sure that she was used to the setup. Watch out this year though. Christine seems to exponentially get better with practice.
    13.5@ 106 was on the new set up. That was from two summers ago, its was the last day at racecity and i had just gotten all that in about a week before. I was super desperate to get on the track just to see what i could do on the new setup. So Marvin is right, i wasnt used to the setup at all, and it wasnt tuned at all. Ngueyen was able to do as much as he could using the EPROM so that it was aleast driveable. But it obviously needed a fuel computer system.
    I believe my 60' was something really shitty like 2.3 or 2.4, the car was running extremly rich, and it was only hitting 7lbs of boost. But i didnt have any traction issues.

13.54 @ 106.8 mph

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast