Quantcast
Advice on costs of a new Puppy - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on costs of a new Puppy

My Ride

Question Advice on costs of a new Puppy

I'm looking at getting a puppy soon, and almost every one has been checked at the vet and had at least its first shots.

Now I've found one specifically that I really like, but she hasnt had a vet examination or any shots at all. Is it dumb to get a puppy that hasnt been examined by a vet, if she looks healthy and is very playful and active?

Lastly I know it varies from vet to vet and probably varies a bit by breed, but how much am I looking at for the puppy's first shots nowdays?

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Get all the info you can prior to getting any dog!!

I have a purebred Boston Terrier from a very reputable breeder. Both my dogs parents are champion show dogs and are very healthy.

Unfortunately my dog just started having issues with a luxating patella. (knee pops out now and again) I found out through research before I got my dog, that this issue is common within the breed but does not happen too often.

All I am getting at is, educate yourself to no end about what you are getting yourself into with a dog. They are amazing pets when dealt with accordingly.

My vet is pretty darn good! Give them a shot even for just questions. Fish Creek Pet Hospital 403 873-1700.
    Originally posted by rage2
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

Make sure you get papers for the checkup to show what kind of health it is in. Get as much info as you can on it, the parents, their health, etc.. I'm assuming this is from a breeder?

I can't remember how much it was for our dog, but the first year is quite a bit. I think after the first set of shots, there are two more for the year or something. And then after that it is once every year.

The first year is expensive, especially if you are spaying/neutering the dog, but the costs are well worth it.

My Ride
    W204

Ok... Seriously, if cost is a concern to you... DON'T GET A DOG. Just because a vet says your puppy is healthy doesn't mean anything. As pointed above, get from a reputable breeder, not a back yard breeder (i.e. the Bargain Finder). Do your research. Know what kind of hereditary issues your dog is prone to.

Finally, if cost is a concern to you, DON'T GET A DOG. Oh wait I already mentioned that. The time and pain of puppy hood and even adult dog hood will cost you more than anything you'll ever have to pay out of your pocket.

Cost should be the least of your considerations. Ooops I said it again.

Not to be an asshole, but i really feel I need to weed out people that think costs is a make/break deal for getting a dog. If you really want to know, it's cost of your puppy (good dogs from reputable sources go for $800-1000), food ($70 every month or 2, depending on size, will decrease later), $120 per vet visit, usually once when you get dog, then once a year, $600-700 to spay/neuter, < $100 to license/tags/leash, $50-60 for a kennel, $100-$300 for other accessories like toys (puppies go through toys like no tomorrow), beds, misc, $70 to cut/groom every 3 months, $xxxxxxx to replace furniture/goods/house/walls chewed up and destroyed.. And these costs are just the tip of the iceberg. Don't forget training classes, books, possibly day care, kenneling while you're away on vacation, unexpected vet issues (like reactions, hit by car, etc...).
    Last edited by clem24; 02-25-2009 at 01:48 PM.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    S14|TB1

^ kinda off topic but i was watching a show on dogs on discovery and from all the centuries of inbreeding and just being around human beings, dogs have cancer and many common illnesses/diseases that were most likely passed on from us.

but +1 for $$$, when i was younger we got a german short haired pointer, just cause you know, one day just got him. me and my brother said the usual 'ohh i promise i'll clean up after him, feed him, walk him' etc. it really became a headache because after getting attached to a dog then you realize you cant afford it, money/spending time with it and especially when going on vacations as said above (those can get really costly), it sucks, feels as if you almost failed at being a caregiver/parent of some sort.

My Ride

Originally posted by clem24
    Ok... Seriously, if cost is a concern to you... DON'T GET A DOG. Just because a vet says your puppy is healthy doesn't mean anything. As pointed above, get from a reputable breeder, not a back yard breeder (i.e. the Bargain Finder). Do your research. Know what kind of hereditary issues your dog is prone to.
    Finally, if cost is a concern to you, DON'T GET A DOG. Oh wait I already mentioned that. The time and pain of puppy hood and even adult dog hood will cost you more than anything you'll ever have to pay out of your pocket.
    Not to be an asshole, but i really feel I need to weed out people that think costs is a make/break deal for getting a dog. If you really want to know, it's cost of your puppy (good dogs from reputable sources go for $800-1000), food ($70 every month or 2, depending on size, will decrease later), $120 per vet visit, usually once when you get dog, then once a year, $600-700 to spay/neuter, &lt; $100 to license/tags/leash, $50-60 for a kennel, $100-$300 for other accessories like toys (puppies go through toys like no tomorrow), beds, misc, $70 to cut/groom every 3 months, $xxxxxxx to replace furniture/goods/house/walls chewed up and destroyed.. And these costs are just the tip of the iceberg. Don't forget training classes, books, possibly day care, kenneling while you're away on vacation, unexpected vet issues (like reactions, hit by car, etc...).
    Maybe you should go back and actually read my question. Asking how much something generally should cost doesn’t imply that cost is a concern to me. Neither does trying to figure how much money everything is going to cost after the cost of the puppy: I would call that planning properly. Cost is not make or break for me at all, I’m trying to make sure I have more than enough put aside just so money is not a problem. I’ve also have had several dogs before. The fact that I’ve never gotten one at such a young age where all the early shots/treatments were left up to me combined with the fact it’s been about 4 years so I know prices/costs have changed, I was trying to gather info .

My actual question was regarding the fact that up until now, every puppy I have seen, has at least had a first set of shots as well as been generally examined by a vet. Now I’ve come across a puppy that I really like but she is 13 weeks old, and despite not having her scheduled shots at 8 weeks, 12 weeks, nor having had a vet exam, she has been taken out for walks and exposed to several other dogs. I was asking if this was a risk and she had been exposed to too many potential health problems, or if it’s not smart to just get a puppy without a vet examination (I realize a vet doesn’t catch everything, but more than I would).

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Originally posted by 5hift

Maybe you should go back and actually read my question. Asking how much something generally should cost doesn’t imply that cost is a concern to me. Neither does trying to figure how much money everything is going to cost after the cost of the puppy: I would call that planning properly. Cost is not make or break for me at all, I’m trying to make sure I have more than enough put aside just so money is not a problem. I’ve also have had several dogs before. The fact that I’ve never gotten one at such a young age where all the early shots/treatments were left up to me combined with the fact it’s been about 4 years so I know prices/costs have changed, I was trying to gather info .

My actual question was regarding the fact that up until now, every puppy I have seen, has at least had a first set of shots as well as been generally examined by a vet. Now I’ve come across a puppy that I really like but she is 13 weeks old, and despite not having her scheduled shots at 8 weeks, 12 weeks, nor having had a vet exam, she has been taken out for walks and exposed to several other dogs. I was asking if this was a risk and she had been exposed to too many potential health problems, or if it’s not smart to just get a puppy without a vet examination (I realize a vet doesn’t catch everything, but more than I would).
    PLay it safe. If you really like the dog, be ready to pay the initial costs of the vaccinations. (the first ones I am unaware of general costing) My dog just got his latest vaccinations yesterday. Both needles and some skin cream came to 60 bucks. As mentioned, call the number I gave you. My dogs doc is the owner of the place. Natasha Mutlow. Excellent place!

My Ride
    BMW X3

I just got a puppy myself and you are absolutly right planning the cost around it is a good thing to do. My Shiba came with his frist set of shots and I've been calling around to a few different Vets in the NW area, and its amazing how the cost varies from Vet to Vet. He second set of shots ranged from $90-$200.

I think that one thing that you have to be really carefully of, because the puppy is 13 weeks old and hasn't been giving any shots and has been around other dogs, is the Parvo virus. It affects all dogs, especially puppies.

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Originally posted by civic roller

I think that one thing that you have to be really carefully of, because the puppy is 13 weeks old and hasn't been giving any shots and has been around other dogs, is the Parvo virus. It affects all dogs, especially puppies.
    THIS!

(and it is NASTY)

My Ride
    14' 435i

first exam is normally 75.00 and Parvo shot (24.50) - 100.00ish..
    2nd time in is Parvo shot and Bordatella shot - 49.00 + GST
    3rd time in is Parvo shot and Rabies Shot - 49.00 + GST

as well, i went out lastnight and spend 115 in like 5 mins on food, collar, leash and couple toys..
    Last edited by GOnSHO; 02-25-2009 at 02:57 PM.

My Ride
    Avalanche/Nightrod

If you do get a puppy, get health insurance or whatever its called for it. That would have saved me about $3000 in surgery fees....

My Ride
    1996 del sol

cost also depends on size and breed

The fact that this puppy hasn't had its first shots is indicative of its upbringing. Where did you see this puppy? Try to find out why it hasn't had its shots. You may uncover some other stuff about the puppy as you ask more questions about how it was bred/raised. Even if all the health issues check out you may face behavioral issues with this puppy in the future.
    ---

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

I think the reason some people are so touchy on here (for good reason imo) is the "idea" of having a dog and the reality of a dog are quite different. There are countless examples, but but I don't feel like nagging.

I see far too many dogs show up at the SPCA at 12-24 months with the owners throwing up their hands...I just don't want "it" anymore. Check the marketplace on here for christs sake...FS: puppy...

Anyways, IF you do decide to get a dog, Go to a breeder. Do not go to a puppy mill or a petstore please.

Thanks.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by GOnSHO
    first exam is normally 75.00 and Parvo shot (24.50) - 100.00ish..
    2nd time in is Parvo shot and Bordatella shot - 49.00 + GST
    3rd time in is Parvo shot and Rabies Shot - 49.00 + GST

as well, i went out lastnight and spend 115 in like 5 mins on food, collar, leash and couple toys..

Also be prepared to shell out money for proper training classes. Don't assume you can train your dog yourself, or by reading books. Do it right, so you A) have a well trained dog, and B) give it some socialization during the classes.

Also, in regards to the Rabies shot... I would get blood titers done first. I only mention this, because when we gave our dog a rabies shot, he turned a little nasty for 3-4 months after.

Normally he's happy as hell, little kids run up to him, and pull his ears, and he doesn't mind at all, but after the rabies shot, he got mean for awhile. Wouldn't even let us clip his nails without growling and snapping.

He's back to his old self now (it's been 18 months), but we won't give him one again. (He's almost never exposed to situations where he would get rabies anyways)

My Ride
    M3/C300

OP, you should talk to the breeder that you're getting the puppy from. Ask them for a health garentee on paper, usually 6months to 1 year.

Also, take some time and research. if that breed has some known health issues, make sure they get those checked at a vet before-hand. (ie/eyesight issues/bone structure, etc)

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Also be prepared to shell out money for proper training classes. Don't assume you can train your dog yourself, or by reading books. Do it right, so you A) have a well trained dog, and B) give it some socialization during the classes.

I am going to have to partially call you on this. Somewhat due to the fact that once again it comes down to the breed. Although for the most part, one can train a dog, given they focus on Persistence and reward and establish the alpha role as soon as possible. Dogs will test you until they know for a fact who runs the show. Instinctively they feel it is automatically their position until you correct them.

Some people agree with Cesar Milans ways of training, some people don't. I find his quote of him "rehabilitating dogs, and training humans" to be quite true in his practice. Seeing him with his/clients pitbulls amazes me. Society and the media have ruined what kind of dogs pitbulls and most bully breed dogs can really be. Too many people get tough looking dogs to make their image that much more, when really they are doing more damage than good just for having a rough and tough status.

Dogs instictively read people very well!!! I think it's about time people actually learn how to read dogs before running out and only entertaining the idea of "having" one.

My Ride
    ecoboost

Originally posted by rony_espana
    If you do get a puppy, get health insurance or whatever its called for it. That would have saved me about $3000 in surgery fees....
    I'll second the health insurance. Ours is about $30.00 per month and it covers up to $20,000.00 in surgeries, medication etc.

Originally posted by clem24

Not to be an asshole, but i really feel I need to weed out people that think costs is a make/break deal for getting a dog. If you really want to know, it's cost of your puppy (good dogs from reputable sources go for $800-1000), food ($70 every month or 2, depending on size, will decrease later), $120 per vet visit, usually once when you get dog, then once a year, $600-700 to spay/neuter, &lt; $100 to license/tags/leash, $50-60 for a kennel, $100-$300 for other accessories like toys (puppies go through toys like no tomorrow), beds, misc, $70 to cut/groom every 3 months, $xxxxxxx to replace furniture/goods/house/walls chewed up and destroyed.. And these costs are just the tip of the iceberg. Don't forget training classes, books, possibly day care, kenneling while you're away on vacation, unexpected vet issues (like reactions, hit by car, etc...).
    Hey Clem what makes you think that all breeders in the Bargain Finder are bad?

I bought both my dogs from Reputable breeders that advertise with the bargain finder and have had no problems whatsoever. I think people should stay away from "breeders" that advertise on free websites like kijiji and craigslist.
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 02-25-2009 at 04:50 PM.

My Ride
    WRX

Vets in Calgary tend to charge a pretty handsome premium compared to vets in more rural areas.

Anyway, here is the ballpark of my costs.

Registered Cairn Terrier with first shots - $800
    Getting her fixed - $330 ish
    Registered with the city - $25/yr
    rabies and other vaccinations $125
    Food costs for my 18 pound dog - $25/month
    toys & misc treats - $100/year
    spray to clean carpet - $20
    stuff she wrecked (eg; girlfriends shoes) $100
    puppy training class $60
    leash & collars $15

Grand 1 year total of $1750
    Thats pretty ballpark and from a vet in Red Deer