Quantcast
Advice on costs of a new Puppy - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Advice on costs of a new Puppy

My Ride

I'm going to see him this weekend again. He seems like such a sweet little dog, I really think his problems will go away with proper training, socialization and regular exercise.

I'm just unsure because Schnauzers have a bad rep as being hard to re-train as adults, and because of the whole being from a pet shop thing.

My Ride
    Lease

Hey, watch CBC, Marketplace right now... they're talking about buying dogs.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by cooperS

with pet food, we had been feeding my dog boiled chicken breast, rice & vegetables since he was a 6 months old.
    Try feeding RAW/BARF diets (raw meats/bones etc). Highly recommended.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Hey, watch CBC, Marketplace right now... they're talking about buying dogs.
    The online video:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2009/h...uppy/main.html

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

our dog is prone to ear infections between shots medications
    damaged furniture,shoes,socks drywall and scratched doors.
    about 6000.00 for the first 2 years.this year finally she has mellowed out and it looks like maybe 1500.00 for food and shots.
    treats and toys.(keeping my fingers crossed.
    A bored Dog is a dangerous one loves to instill damage.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride

So I thought I would update this for those who care or took the time to respond as I brought him home 4 days ago.

He is such a sweet dog, considering how poorly he has been treated, I'm surprised he is this well behaved and is responding to training so well. He was scared/didnt trust me the first day, but it seems he's already moved on now. I walk him twice a day and that tires him out to the point where he spends all day sleeping around my place.

When I brought him home, he didnt respond to any commands, pulled on the leash like crazy, bolted through doors as soon as they opened, and barked at any slight noise or stranger as I took off his barking collar right away.

I already have him responding to sit/stay/lie down without treats, he hasnt barked once in my condo after the first day. Doesnt leave or enter without me telling him its ok and still does it slowly now. If he has to go to the washroom he already scratches on the door and makes it really obvious (has not had a single accident so far which really surprised me). Although not as bad, he still pulls. Overall I'm really surprised with how well he is responding though.

The only thing I cant seem to improve, is his barking/making throaty noises to strangers when I'm walking him or driving somewhere. I correct him as soon as he does it, but I did this for a whole 30 minute drive and he didnt catch on.

Along with that, the one thing I'm unsure how to approach is the fact he is deathly scared of being brushed, groomed and bathed. If I grab his brush or turn on my clippers to see how he reacts, he immediately runs under my bed. He is stinky and needs a bath but I've already been warned he will not cooperate as soon as you get him wet.

Any suggestions?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Use positive reinforcement when getting him to do something he hates.. Easiest way is lots of treats during the process, and introduce whatever tools you are using to him prior. (Lay the tools out and let him sniff them)
    My puppy hates getting brushed and bathed, but I give him treats during and after.. now he gets excited when he sees the brush come out!

Also make sure to stay calm during the process to keep him as calm as possible. That being said possibly go for a long walk/run right before so hes tired!

I recently made the switch to a raw food diet.. and immediately noticed how much smaller the poo is.. like 1/4 the size! Shows you how much crap and filler is in the dog food.. and I was coming from an expensive natural brand as well! (Origin)

My Ride
    POS Voyager

^^^ what type of raw diet are you feeding your dog??

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by 5hift
    The only thing I cant seem to improve, is his barking/making throaty noises to strangers when I'm walking him or driving somewhere. I correct him as soon as he does it, but I did this for a whole 30 minute drive and he didnt catch on.
    Hahaha I've been trying for 6 years to get my schnauzer to stop doing that. Let me know when you do find an effective solution. On the upside, sometimes I can't hear my doorbell, and those dogs make great doorbells (and Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!).

Sounds like you got yourself a great companion.

Let's see sum pix!!
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH

Along with that, the one thing I'm unsure how to approach is the fact he is deathly scared of being brushed, groomed and bathed. If I grab his brush or turn on my clippers to see how he reacts, he immediately runs under my bed. He is stinky and needs a bath but I've already been warned he will not cooperate as soon as you get him wet.

Any suggestions?
    You have to associate the brush, clipper and bath as being something positive. Make the dog come to the brush or clippers and reward him with food. You have to take it step by step.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

ooh I am so glad to hear you picked him!

We groom right on the floor. I left all the tools of destruction for our dog to sniff out. In the year we have had Sheena she has went from don't you dare get me wet to as soon as she hears the shower she thinks it's her turn.

Nail clipping on the other hand....big baby. I do a couple of nails a day. Eventually we get through them all. The the routine starts all over again.

My Ride
    missy

Originally posted by Kritafo

Nail clipping on the other hand....big baby. I do a couple of nails a day. Eventually we get through them all. The the routine starts all over again.
    The biggest toughest dogs turn babies when the nail clippers come out

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Congrats on the schnauzer! I love mine to death. Yes they sure do sleep a lot! Mine sleeps for at least 20 hours a day i swear! He can catch treats/toys and sit. Those are the only tricks he knows. He pulls like a motherfucker when walking too. So tough for such a little dog. I've started using a shorter (non-retractable leash) which has helped.

"She takes premium dude! PREMIUM!!! DUDE!!!!"

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

You guys need to watch Ceaser more.

My Ride
    W204

So at my parents house, my dad had the door open momentarily. Schnauzer (her name is Maggie) saw a dog across the street and ran out after it. Dad was busy at the door so he called her back. Moments later, she came back, nothing seemed amiss. The lady with the dog across the street kind of stood there for a bit, then quickly walked off.

Then tonight while walking her, my dad noticed Maggie had a bit blood on her fur on her back.. Turns out she most likely got bitten by that other dog.. Pretty hard too. Had a fairly deep puncture wound, probably 1 cm across and half as deep. Not much bleeding at all though. Will definitely require stitches so it can heal properly. We're just waiting till morning to bring her in to the vet first thing to get stitched up and get some shots just in case. Very lucky that she was only bit on her back instead of a softer spot (kind of a little lower than the large loose chunk of skin below the neck).

I don't blame the other dog or the owner. I blame Maggie.

There goes a few hundred $$$. Such is the life of dog ownership.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

good advice on a lot of these posts,we got our dog from a farmer.
    mother was a golden lab and the father an airdale.
    you figure tops 70lbs??maybe 80.

115lbs of pulling machine,bigger than my wife and she still thinks
    she's a lap dog.

when she was a pup..

and now Luba the lap dog..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

wow that dog looks like a bear,

i always see a big black dog that honestly is like a bear its so big

My Ride
    TRD Pro

The raw food diet that 'Chunk' The Bulldog is on is Urban Carnivore.. it consists of various meat patties and sprinkling some other shit on top. (Greens and other nutrients)
    I dont think I've ever seen him more excited then meal time!
    (And the other positive is the Poo is WAY smaller.)
    he he .. I called the shit poo.

My Ride
    missy

^^ i know what you mean when they get bigger than they are supposed to
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So I thought I would update this for those who care or took the time to respond as I brought him home 4 days ago.

He is such a sweet dog, considering how poorly he has been treated, I'm surprised he is this well behaved and is responding to training so well. He was scared/didnt trust me the first day, but it seems he's already moved on now. I walk him twice a day and that tires him out to the point where he spends all day sleeping around my place.

When I brought him home, he didnt respond to any commands, pulled on the leash like crazy, bolted through doors as soon as they opened, and barked at any slight noise or stranger as I took off his barking collar right away.

I already have him responding to sit/stay/lie down without treats, he hasnt barked once in my condo after the first day. Doesnt leave or enter without me telling him its ok and still does it slowly now. If he has to go to the washroom he already scratches on the door and makes it really obvious (has not had a single accident so far which really surprised me). Although not as bad, he still pulls. Overall I'm really surprised with how well he is responding though.

Any suggestions?

Grats!

Bath-time.

Try getting in the tub with the dog for a couple times. That way you're sharing the indignation of getting wet, and washed.

Also make it a shallow bath the first few times. Knee depth on your doggie. That makes it easier for them to feel like they're in control of the situation, and doesn't trigger survival-flight instincts.

Make a game of it, and lavish praise on him through out the process.

That should help some.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast