Quantcast
STI with Auto Transmission - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: STI with Auto Transmission

Default STI with Auto Transmission

No idea why Subaru is doing this...they should just offer the wrx265 with an auto tranny. It's only JDM for now but I can see it coming to NA eventually, seems like a made for US kinda model so its interesting they are launching it in Japan first. Lack of DCCD makes me wonder why they even call it a STI.

FHI to introduce a New Additional Model in the Subaru Impreza WRX STI: A-Line
    Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today launches "Subaru Impreza WRX A-Line" which is a new addition to the current WRX STI model. The model goes on sale nationwide through Subaru dealerships today in Japan.
    Based on the Impreza WRX STI, the WRX STI A-Line model was developed to offer its distinctive driving performance to a wider range of customers by integrating 2.5-litre turbocharged Boxer engine and 5 Speed Automatic Transmission with SPORTSHIFT*.
    In addition, the current WRX STI was given some refinements to enhance comfort and quality feel; 8 way power adjustable front seats and a new body color, "Satin White Pearl", is now available.
    *SPORTSHIFT is a registered trademark of Prodrive Ltd.
    Outline of Subaru Impreza WRX STI A-Line
    The model features the exclusively developed 2.5-litre Subaru BOXER turbo engine with SPORTSHIFT* E-5AT, while retaining the basic component such as chassis and body of the WRX STI, Subaru's performance flagship.
    Engine:
    * The unique 2.5-litre BOXER engine comes with a single scroll turbocharger and produces a flat torque from the low and mid-rev range to high-rev range.
    * Dual Active Valve Control System (AVCS) was adopted to control continuously valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves, which improves low and mid-range range torque, high-rev range output and environmental friendliness.
    * Tumble Generation Valve (TGV) controls the intake air stream to generate high combustion efficiency.
    Drive train:
    * SI-DRIVE (SUBARU Intelligent Drive), that enables the drivers to choose three different engine mappings, is standard.
    * Paddle shift is featured to allow manual shifting without requiring the driver to release the steering wheel.
    * Downshifting Blipping Control system was adopted. When down-shifting, the automatic transmission control unit interacts with the engine management system and increases engine revolutions instantly and to the exact required setting.
    * Changing gears with the paddle shift can also be done by a temporary operation that does not require the selection lever to be set to the manual position.
    * VTD (Variable Torque Distribution)-AWD system was adopted to provide excellent stability of the vehicle, which controls the torque distribution ratio between the front and rear axles depending on driving conditions.
    * 17-inches ventilated dual piston disk brakes for the front, and 16-inches ventilated disk brakes for the rear were fitted.
    * VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control) System is standard.
    Interior:
    * 8-way power adjustable driver's seat is standard. Leather seats are available as optional and include (front) seat heating. Soft leather door trim with silver stitch is featured.
    Major specifications:
    -Engine type: Horizontally-Opposed 4-cylinder DOHC 16-valve turbocharged engine
    -Displacement: 2457 cc
    -Maximum output: 221kW (300 PS)/6200 rpm
    -Maximum torque: 350 Nm (35.7 kgf·m)/2800-6000 rpm
    -Turbo type: Single Scroll turbocharger
    Last edited by bigboom; 02-25-2009 at 02:15 PM.

My Ride
    STi

Read this yesterday.

Drive train:

* Paddle shift is featured to allow manual shifting without requiring the driver to release the steering wheel.
    * Downshifting Blipping Control system was adopted. When down-shifting, the automatic transmission control unit interacts with the engine management system and increases engine revolutions instantly and to the exact required setting.

sounds pretty good to me.
    Wonder how the 0-60 times will differ from the manual.
    and launch control?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I don't know why they don't just come out with a DSG.

17 and 16 inch brakes!

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I'd buy the dual clutch STI. This is a great idea IMO.

My Ride
    changes every year

^^^ i like it too, its the car that i want and the only car that my wife likes but we couldnt ever get it because it didnt come in auto for her to drive.....i cant wait for it to get here.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by benyl
    I don't know why they don't just come out with a DSG.
    Short sighted.

They gotta put something to go against EVO X's SST.

But then again, I thought sales of these vehicles are down big time, may be slapping a good old auto will keep them moving and justify the cost of production STI.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I would buy an STI today if it had a DSG.

My Ride
    Audi

I would buy an STI today if it had a DSG.
    I would as well, but my wife wouldn't. She's stated many times that her next car is going to be a GR STI and it MUST be manual.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I have no interest in rowing gears anymore.

SMG and the paddles on the 335 are as much effort as I want to put into changing gears. Especially in stop and go traffic.

Haha, I was looking at gm.ca and I noticed that the CTS-V has a price... haha, so tempting.

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by hampstor

I would as well, but my wife wouldn't. She's stated many times that her next car is going to be a GR STI and it MUST be manual.
    you are a lucky guy, i would have had one years ago if this was the case with my wife.

i think they need to keep DCCD though and thats one of the things they havent done.

call me old fashioned but i just couldnt imagine my GR without my 6 speed gearbox

My Ride
    Bicycle

Haha, I was looking at gm.ca and I noticed that the CTS-V has a price... haha, so tempting.
    I got $76K all decked out for CTS-V. I know it's suppose to be a M5 competitor but $76K? Why not C63?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

How often do you realistically use the DCCD?

Track days, sure. Out on the street? When it snowed like a mofo, I would lock the center diff. I would swing it wide open when I wanted to have some fun. 98% time it was set to auto.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Wow talk about being 10 years late for the party adding obsolete technology in their halo performance car. Pretty weak way to counter the EVO X MR's TC-SST. Subaru is having tonnes of quality issues with their new cars. Almost 30 VIN confirmed 09 WRX engine failures at NASIOC and C&D's long term STI had to get the 6-speed tranny replaced with a bunch of other issues.

Originally posted by heavyD
    Wow talk about being 10 years late for the party adding obsolete technology in their halo performance car. Pretty weak way to counter the EVO X MR's TC-SST. Subaru is having tonnes of quality issues with their new cars. Almost 30 VIN confirmed 09 WRX engine failures at NASIOC and C&D's long term STI had to get the 6-speed tranny replaced with a bunch of other issues.
    i definitely agree.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Originally posted by heavyD
    As much as I love Subaru too, I have to agree. They have amazing quality, but their newer cars seem to run into alot of problems.

That said... I would still buy that STI

They just need to release that damn STI Legacy, goodbye Mitsubishi

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by QuasarCav
    17 and 16 inch brakes!
    LOL yah WTF