Quantcast
wasteful spending - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: wasteful spending

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Generic

I don't know if i have enough questions for PM, but i'm taking an undergrad in the arts, English and PoliSci and I plan on applying to education faculties next spring, including U of C, Lethbridge, any place that takes me here haha. Did she have a normal undergrad or honers undergrad? How long did it take her to do teachers college?

Really? How long was her undergrad? how long was teachers college? did she have to do any staffing/teaching help first, or was she hired right on as a teacher right away?
    The program at UofC is 2 years. It is called the Masters of Teaching. It is an after-degree program, meaning you need a Bachelor' s Degree first. It works out b/c you are paid more on the pay scale according to the salary grid here in Alberta. You would have 6 years education.

I have heard some in the English get on with the Boards right away, but others have a harder time and have to start teaching in school districts outside of Calgary. To put it in perspective, there is about 440-ish English graduates and 17 graduates in my wife' s French group.

Take a look at GPA admittance for each university. It is quite competitive with the English side.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride

Yeah about the teacher stuff max_boost is right. Bachelors, then the 2 year Master of teaching, then half a year as a student teacher, then you start looking for a job.

I dont know how hard English is to get into, I could see that though. My sister is pretty nerdy so it wouldnt surprise me. From what I've been told though, it really just depends on how good you are with the teachers you work with. For my sister the school she was placed in as a student teacher really liked her so they offered her a job. The school was kind of far, and since it was public my sister had like 35+ students, so she applied around and got a job at Rundle College (private school) replacing some teacher on maternity leave for the year. They liked her there as well so when the other teacher came back, they hired my sister full time. Now she teaches a class with 8-10 kids.

I've heard the same story with a few teachers ... if you are personable and get along with everyone you can land a great job off of just recommendations.

interesting, thanks max and 5hift.
    i am done my undergraduate bachelors degree next summer and i want to start applying in the spring. The U of C's Master of Teaching is hard to get into though, i wonder what Lethbridge is like?

My Ride

I dont know what the teaching program is like, but I am here doing Accounting and I like it. I've attended UofC and I think UofL despite being smaller, is a much better school. Its a university town, no traffic, things are cheaper. Only thing that sucks is the wind but you get used to it.

Plus girls outnumber guys 2-1 here on campus

thousands at the strip club; making it rain isnt cheap

Money is supposed to circulate. Let it do it's thing. Put it out, and it will come back. I hate that whole, 'don't drink coffee, it costs $5/day!' Ah shaddap. If I want to burn $5/day, I will!

What else are you gonna do with it? It was -30 degrees, so I took a flight to LA. Why? BECAUSE IT WAS -30 DEGREES, and I'd rather be in LA for the weekend than here

Originally posted by 89coupe
    If you enjoy what you are spending your money on, how can you consider it wasteful?

I laugh at all the cheap bastards who put away every penny until they are old and grey, then realize, holy fuck, I'm old and my idea of a good time now is reading a book in the park.

What a fucking waste of a life...LOL

I don't waste my money, I enjoy every penny of it.
    Yeah, what this guy said!

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by 89coupe
    If you enjoy what you are spending your money on, how can you consider it wasteful?

I laugh at all the cheap bastards who put away every penny until they are old and grey, then realize, holy fuck, I'm old and my idea of a good time now is reading a book in the park.

What a fucking waste of a life...LOL

I don't waste my money, I enjoy every penny of it.
    You know its funny, because I definitely understand your thinking, but to them, they get more of a kick out of being thrifty than spending their cash. Just a different perception you know?

Allot of people get a rush from going and getting a great deal, or saving money on something. For example, of late, I have been bringing my tea in the morning instead of buying it at tims, small amount saved, but strangely, feels kind of good.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Shoes...and toys for Hollie...

those are my big vices...
    ...@therealarifjina...

hey the point of my thread is spending money on stuff OTHER people think youre wasting your money on! so keep bringing it on!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
    hey the point of my thread is spending money on stuff OTHER people think youre wasting your money on! so keep bringing it on!
    I've just become obsessed with Richard Burn's Rally again.

Momo race wheel- $140 w/tax
    Game- $20 shipped
    new graphics card- $~80 (I used to have a 9800pro in my old comp, my new one just has integrated)

And I can barely make rent for March and April Thats ok, my tax return is coming in...

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by lasthuzzah
    Money is supposed to circulate. Let it do it's thing. Put it out, and it will come back. I hate that whole, 'don't drink coffee, it costs $5/day!' Ah shaddap. If I want to burn $5/day, I will!

What else are you gonna do with it? It was -30 degrees, so I took a flight to LA. Why? BECAUSE IT WAS -30 DEGREES, and I'd rather be in LA for the weekend than here
    Yeah fair enough man. I totally agree with ya.

Can never criticize how another person spends their hard earned $$$ just because it doesn't align with your perspectives.

One life to live so live it up. With that said, I'm still being a cheap ass for the remainder of this recession unless I hit it up real good with HOD lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Wow alot of beyond ballers in here, I think some people have some serious alcohol issues haha

Anyways, not a waste to me but I am sure others will concider it to be so is my $1200 24port RAID controller for the new NAS server I am building for home. Before that I spend countless money on my car, but don't do that anymore. Don't spend much money at all other then rent + food + bills and enjoy my life, saving for a house I will be buying end of the year...different people enjoy life differently, i don't need to blow ton of money on shit to be happy

My Ride
    slow

weed
    Gas, Break, Bounce and Scrape

Originally posted by CMW403
    fucking lethbridge kids

its all about what makes you happy.

the guy who spends every penny he makes and has every possession you could think of could be no happier than the guy who saves every penny he makes and lives simply.

BALANCE.

you dont want to be the guy who wakes up and is 60 one day with 7 figures in the retirement plan but your doctor tells you that you have prostate cancer and chances arent good.

you also dont want to be the guy who lives the life eating out, partying, clubbing, fast cars, faster women, and you wake up at 30 or 35 or 40 in your rented condo with your leased car and no savings or RRSPs AND coming to the realization youre broke and good luck even retiring at 65... that CPP isnt gonna be enough to pay the rent.

some people will be happy saving more, some people will be happy spending more... but either extreme likely isnt where true happiness is.

back to the original thread... my problem is that most things I own have to be the near the best or near top of the line for whatever it is. Combine that with easily getting excited about new things and then losing interest in things quickly, and Ive got a house full of everything that doesnt get used much if at all. And having the need to have things before everyone else also means that I usually pay many times more than I would have if i waited a while.

Originally posted by eblend
    ...different people enjoy life differently, i don't need to blow ton of money on shit to be happy

My Ride
    black

i spent 18k in the past 6-7 months and enjoyed every penny of it.

Clothes here, but then again I do not buy them at regular price either.

To those claiming $2K for food per month, are you serious? What sort of $ do you pull in to spend that kind of dough on food per month (what kind of work)? I am asking this assuming that a) you are not lying and b) you are not including your outings with clients on company dime.

i spent lots on games, maybe renting or byying previosly 0wned games isnt bad idea.
    -_-
    da intrenet is my best freind

Hmmm cars are a big waste of money for me... in 4/5 years I have spent (Car price included..) ummm $300,000 +

Ummm this week... Me and my gf got off our diets and splurged on Chocolate Easter eggs... freakin waste of money... Ummm buying movies seems to be a big waste as well...
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

Originally posted by max_boost

4. Losing investments.
    This one trumps all. Who cares about $300 jeans and modding cars when you're losing tens of thousands in investments.

Nothing feels like a waste of money to me anymore after the damn stock market.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast