Quantcast
Asperger's Syndrome, anyone here with it? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Asperger's Syndrome, anyone here with it?

Default Asperger's Syndrome, anyone here with it?

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 08:56 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

I don't believe there any restrictions, I know some adults with it that completed University with no problems and moved into the workplace with no issues.

My Ride
    Model S

Asperger's isn't really a disability...not like that anyway. Bill Gates has it, Einstein was believed to have it, Tesla, Henry Ford, several presidents, etc. It's mostly related to social skills and behaviors, and has nothing to do with intellectual ability, so you'd never face restrictions like that. I personally know one guy with it, has a Ph.D. in comp sci and was recruited by the NSA. Smart guy and a really good worker, just a bit hard to sit through his presentations sometimes

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

If I recall correctly, it's a form of high functioning autism. Those with it are very bright academically, but often have a difficult time interacting with others socially.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 08:56 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

I donno see it just seems to be the new fad illness. Lots of people in IT claims they have Aspergers yet most of them have not been diagnosed. Diagnosis is hard and even when diagnosed there is a chance it is a misdiagnosis. A lot of people have problems picking up social queues but it doesnt mean you have Aspergers. I am not saying this applies to you specifically but personally I have seen way too many people in IT use Aspergers as a catch all for their bad behavior and lack of effort in terms of social interaction. Certain things just dont come easy to people.

Bill Gates has it, Einstein was believed to have it, Tesla, Henry Ford, several presidents, etc.
    That statement is false. They are rumoured to have had symptoms of Aspergers. However none of the above were ever diagnosed or proven to have high functioning autism. Statements like that are just made to make the sufferers feel better, they have no backing in scientific proof.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Just keep in mind a positive diagnosis on an adult is a crap shoot :\ Read up on the diagnosis method. It is pretty wishy washy when it comes to adults and well even a positive diagnosis or a negative one doesn't mean much.

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

That statement is false. They are rumoured to have had symptoms of Aspergers. However none of the above were ever diagnosed or proven to have high functioning autism. Statements like that are just made to make the sufferers feel better, they have no backing in scientific proof.
    Well, no it isn't. Although they weren't diagnosed in their time, they've been studied extensively by qualified scholars that arrived at those conclusions. Generally you'd need an in-person diagnosis, but when you entire life is public and heavily scrutinized, a diagnosis can be done just as easily. But note that I said "believed" to have had it. And really, in the world of modern psychology, that's about all the proof you get anyway. No one ever knows for sure, because we don't even know what causes most disorders. It's just a checklist of behaviors that are abnormal and prevalent enough to cause problems.

It is true though that a lot of nerds sell themselves as highly functioning Aspies that suffer from being geniuses, when really they're just reasonably intelligent social retards. The point in demonstrating that there are smart/successful Aspies is to prove that it doesn't hinder cognitive ability, not to imply that Aspies are all tortured geniuses. Unfortunately a lot of them like to look at it backwards and get delusions of grandeur.

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    some people think I should go get tested because I might have it. (not a strong case, but most symptoms are there that explain A LOT of my quirks). However, I don't want to get a formal label that might limit me. I don't wanna be one of those people kicking my feet back and taking government support for it or anything....and I don't want the label to exclude me from being able to get certain jobs, etc.

All the years of boring people with my one track speech....not picking up on social cues, obsession with numbers and shape patterns, tendency to be a loner, appearing to not care about peoples feelings.

I'd want to get tested just so I know for myself....but if it gives me a label that will limit me I'm just going to roll with it as is.
    It's not like the doctor is going to brand your forehead with ASPERGERS. Unless you're in super high level government work, no future employers are going to be digging through your private medical records.

Government support? There is no support for being an anti-social nerd. And really, no one cares about the distinction between a high-functioning autistic and someone who is just painfully awkward. Sure, some people use self-diagnosed ass-burgers to justify living in their parents basement and being virgins, but at the end of the day, people will be able to stand you, or they won't. Period.

So no, it wouldn't limit you unless you let it limit you.

This ass burgers shit is the new ADD. BS

My Ride
    my wife crazy

^^^^

and that's the BS attitude that creates social stigma and discrimination.

There is a lot of debate over whether or not it exists. I do know a guy who supposedly has it, and he is very different. I've never met anyone else like him. But just like ADD, I doubt the majority of people who think they have it actually do.

the problem is we live in a society full of people who self diagnose. Which I can't understand, its not like the US where we have to pay to see the Dr. Yes people have a hard time getting a family Dr, but even when I use a clinic I use the same one over and over with the same Dr almost 100% of the time.

Originally posted by Rat Fink

All the years of boring people with my one track speech....not picking up on social cues, obsession with numbers and shape patterns, tendency to be a loner, appearing to not care about peoples feelings.
    Neglecting "obsession with numbers and shape patterns," what's the difference between that and a narcissist?
    Last edited by Nusc; 03-04-2009 at 07:50 PM.

My Ride
    CIVIC!!!

My Ride
    CIVIC!!!

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    X100 | A80

My brothers got it, seems to be doing alright with it. It isn't like a disability by any means. Most people might think hes just alittle bit of a loner, geek kinda guy.
    Originally posted by Keiichi Tsuchiya
    The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you.
    It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf.
    That is the magic of the Hachiroku.