Quantcast
Engines: Diesel vs Gasoline - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Engines: Diesel vs Gasoline

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

Default Engines: Diesel vs Gasoline

Parents just bought a 1.9TDi Skoda Octavia. A weak 88.5hp, but that does not bother me all too much.

The throttle response is really mushy, the flywheel feels very heavy and slow, and the vibration and unwillingness to rev is not so great. Driving a plain old 95hp gasoline engine with 8 valves was pure joy in comparision.

They are also quite front heavy leading to naughty understeer. But at least, the fuel economy is amazzzzing, and they are very easy to drive. Just not really enthusiast material.

I noticed several diesel engine owners here. What do you think of it? What about the rest of you - ever driven?

My Ride
    pedals

well, there isnt much for diesels here in NA, not like Europe. The VW TDi is quite peppy for a 1.9. 90hp. And the new pd-TDi is 100hp. I personally like them. Low reving and loads of torque. Generally pretty quiet and 3 to 4 weeks on 1 tank. Will they ever match a gas engine, no, but you can do alot of things to have fun with them.
    Last edited by hjr; 10-13-2003 at 04:00 PM.

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Let's face it, most people aren't buying diesel cars because they want a road burner, they want a vehicle they can put $10 worth of fuel in and drive to Venezuela. They have a load of instant torque, which gives them decent pep, but they don't feel anything like a gas powered car does from an acceleration perspective. The suspensions are set pretty mushy, the cars are generally meant to be basic grocery getters and efficient highway cruisers, so ride quality took priority over crisp handling. That said, they do have some interesting possibilities for fun, there are a few diesel golf road race cars in europe and quite a few people here are starting to play with them.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    V167

diesel ownz joo

I am probably never going to purchase a gas car ever in my life after having a Jetta Tdi and our 300SD Turbo Diesel in our household. My parents took the TDi to vancouver this weekend....got around 1000 kms on a tank while going 120kmh+ the whole way (optimum speed for mileage is near 100kmh)

overall, if you're not CRAZY about performance etc.. then a diesel is the way to go, fuel efficient, and have enough power in them to let you rip through the mountains and go around town with ease (well...at least the newer diesels do, the 300SD isn't a big fan of any hill..including the driveway )

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

I personally thought that the Diesel felt immensely slower despite far more torque.

It doesn't seem to get any more powerful at all with increased rev either, which is a disappointing feeling.

But yes, long live diesels. :P Maybe not for driving enthusiasts however.

My Ride
    pedals

the power is almost all there in the low RPM's. So it wont get too much better higher up, like a gas engine might. As for torque, there is already a few huge threads of fighting over torque winning races, but it doesnt, HP does. if you have low hp, it will be relatively slow. Torque just makes the motor able to move a bigger car/load. IE. semi- monsterous torque, but not perticularily fast, F1- relatively low torque in respect to HP, and blindingly fast. Why? trucks are pull heavy loads and hp wont do that, and f1 cars a light and just want flat out speed.