Quantcast
Help please!!! Skunk2 coilovers... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Help please!!! Skunk2 coilovers...

Default Help please!!! Skunk2 coilovers...

Opinions please....

My bf's got an 02 Civic (Si-G) and we just installed some Skunk2 adjustible coilovers in a few weeks ago. They were great when first installed with only the few "squeeks" expected from them.

Now, they're making this weird LOUD noise like the springs are shifting or being squished together. This tends to happen only when we are making a tight turn (e.g. doing a U-turn). We're pretty sure it's not the tire rubbing on the wheel well either.

Does anybody have any idea what's causing that noise?? How can it be fixed?? We're planning on taking it back to where we got it done for an inspection.

Thanks!

get struts checked out. might need new ones.

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Is the suspension compressing fully in those situations? Whats probably happening is the suspension is fully compressing and the springs are binding (ie running out of travel so the coils on the springs are hitting each other). Whiteline and a couple other companies make a wrap for springs that will help muffle some of the noise.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

thanks guys

We initially thought that they were the springs hitting each other...at least that's what it sounds like.

How much do these places charge for the spring wraps?

My Ride
    335i

You can find rubber inserts for the springs at Canadian Tire. They will muffle the noise when the coils get really close to eachother.

Did you upgrade the struts at the same time? This would improve the ride and probably help decrease the problems with the springs
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

I forgot to mention that the noise only comes on when we are making a slow tight turn

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

I don't know who could get it locally, but Don @ PDM Racing (http://www.pdm-racing.com) in Vancouver can get the whiteline wrap for about $10 USD a package, which is enough to do two springs usually. You can probably wrap them yourselves easily enough after you get it.

And Weapon_R is right, if you go to a stiffer damper it should help fix this problem. The other option is to switch to a different spring (same overall length, thicker wire but fewer coils) to get the same wheel rate but have more room for the coils to move. This may or may not be an option with the kit you bought though.
    Last edited by 4wheeldrift; 10-13-2003 at 04:02 PM.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

No, we didn't get replacement struts. Just installed the coilover kit and that's it

If we bought these wraps, would we have to remove the springs entirely in order to install them?

How much do they cost at Canadian Tire?

Thanks again!!

the install might not be done properly. my car use to due the same thing and it was bc the front struts have to be lined up correctly according to the arrows engraved on the struts. even if it is a little misaligned there would be this loud ping metal noise when turning. this is a common problem for these new civics. TAKE THE STRUTS OUT AND MAKE SURE THE ARROWS ARE LINED UP 100%

My Ride
    2008 CSX Type S, 2008 BMW 335I

I know exactly what that is. We have actually had this problem before with most coilovers for 01-up civics. When you are turning the wheel the strut turns with it, which means the spring is turning with it also. So the top of the spring is binding with the upper metal top hat of the strut. The only way to stop the metal from binding is to buy a rubber piece from the top of the 88-00 civic shock. If you don't know what i am talking about just pm me or call me at Speedtech and i can get the piece for you.

Allan