Quantcast
Bank of Canada lowers overnight rate target by 1/2 percentage point to 1/2 per cent - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bank of Canada lowers overnight rate target by 1/2 percentage point to 1/2 per cent

My Ride
    No more Subarus

Default Bank of Canada lowers overnight rate target by 1/2 percentage point to 1/2 per cent

Press Releases 2009
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    3 March 2009 CONTACT: Jeremy Harrison
    613 782-8782

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bank of Canada lowers overnight rate target by 1/2 percentage point to 1/2 per cent
    OTTAWA – The Bank of Canada today announced that it is lowering its target for the overnight rate by one-half of a percentage point to 1/2 per cent. The operating band for the overnight rate is correspondingly lowered, and the Bank Rate is now 3/4 per cent.

The outlook for the global economy has continued to deteriorate since the Bank's January Monetary Policy Report Update, with weaker-than-expected activity in major economies. The nature of the U.S. recession, with very weak auto and housing sectors, is particularly challenging for Canada.

Stabilization of the global financial system remains a precondition for the global and Canadian economic recoveries. The timely implementation of ambitious plans in some major countries to address toxic assets and recapitalize financial institutions will be critical in this regard.

National accounts data for the fourth quarter of 2008 and other indicators of aggregate demand point to a sharper decline in Canadian economic activity and a larger output gap through the first half of 2009 than projected in January. Potential delays in stabilizing the global financial system, along with larger-than-anticipated confidence and wealth effects on domestic demand, could mean that the output gap will not begin to close until early 2010. These factors imply a slightly lower profile for core inflation than was projected in the January MPRU.

The effects of the recent aggressive monetary and fiscal policy actions in Canada and other major economies will begin to be felt in the second half of this year and will build through 2010. Once the global financial system stabilizes and global growth recovers, the underlying strength of the Canadian economy and financial sector should ensure a more rapid recovery in Canada than in most other industrialized economies.

The Bank's decision to lower its policy rate by 50 basis points today brings the cumulative monetary policy easing to 400 basis points since December 2007. Consistent with returning total CPI inflation to 2 per cent, the target for the overnight rate can be expected to remain at this level or lower at least until there are clear signs that excess supply in the economy is being taken up.

Given the low level of the target for the overnight rate, the Bank is refining the approach it would take to provide additional monetary stimulus, if required, through credit and quantitative easing. In its April Monetary Policy Report, the Bank will outline a framework for the possible use of such measures.

The Bank will continue to monitor carefully economic and financial developments in judging to what extent further monetary stimulus will be required to achieve its 2 per cent inflation target over the medium term.

Information note:

The next scheduled date for announcing the overnight rate target is 21 April 2009. A full update of the Bank's outlook for the economy and inflation, including risks to the projection, will be published in the Monetary Policy Report on 23 April 2009.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I will be watching this closely, as I hope to be shopping for a mortgage in the next couple months. Rates are already at historic lows, so I'm not sure that we'll see the whole 0.5% passed along to consumers, at least not right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The BOC prime rate doesn't directly affect mortgage rates...

TD fucking raised my LOC by 0.25%! WTF!

The banks seem to be following suit. TD and RBC have both dropped their rates by 0.5%.

1.9% mortgage!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

That is the overnight lending rate.

That will affect LOCs and HELOCs. It will also affect personal loans.

Mortgages won't be affected.

A 1 year closed mortgage with TD is 5% right now.

Originally posted by benyl
    That is the overnight lending rate.

That will affect LOCs and HELOCs. It will also affect personal loans.

Mortgages won't be affected.

A 1 year closed mortgage with TD is 5% right now.
    It most definitely affects my variable rate mortgage.

With TD dropping their prime lending rate to 2.50% my mortgage will be 1.90% by April 1.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

ah yes, variable mortgage rate is technically a HELOC that doesn't have revolving credit. It is not a "true mortgage". I could be wrong. Fixed rate mortgages are based on the bond rate, not the overnight lending rate.

ah yes, variable mortgage rate is technically a HELOC that doesn't have revolving credit. It is not a "true mortgage". I could be wrong. Fixed rate mortgages are based on the bond rate, not the overnight lending rate.
    Way to mince words.

When the banks drop the word "mortgage" from the end of "variable rate" I will stop considering it a mortgage.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by sputnik
    The banks seem to be following suit. TD and RBC have both dropped their rates by 0.5%.

1.9% mortgage!
    +1

"Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

benyl, while fixed rate mortgages aren't directly tied to the BOC overnight rate, they are indirectly tied. The last two times the BOC lowered rates, fixed rate mortgages dropped a similar amount within about a month. I expect the same thing to happen here.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    cars

I'm pretty sure I called this a few months ago..

Can you say 1.34+

USD/CAD(CCY: USDCAD=X)
    Last Trade: 1.29
    Trade Time: 10:49am ET
    Change: 0.0007 (0.05%)
    Prev Close: 1.2928
    Open: 1.2911
    Day's Range: 1.28 - 1.30

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=U...urce=undefined

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    benyl, while fixed rate mortgages aren't directly tied to the BOC overnight rate, they are indirectly tied. The last two times the BOC lowered rates, fixed rate mortgages dropped a similar amount within about a month. I expect the same thing to happen here.
    Yes, because the bond rates followed.

Read the article. It can happen where the bond rates go up and the interest rate goes down. Therefore, the variable rate mortgages will go down, but fixed rates will go up.

When I got my mortgage 2 years ago, variable rates and fixed rates were the same. ~5%. Fixed rates went up and variables went down of the last two years. The fixed rates are finally coming back down.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by modded46
    I'm pretty sure I called this a few months ago..

Can you say 1.34+

USD/CAD(CCY: USDCAD=X)
    Last Trade: 1.29
    Trade Time: 10:49am ET
    Change: 0.0007 (0.05%)
    Prev Close: 1.2928
    Open: 1.2911
    Day's Range: 1.28 - 1.30

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=U...urce=undefined
    haha, yeah and your prediction on the DOW? it is 6800 today.

The US is socializing all it's losses. You now own AIG and Citigroup. Good for you! hahahahaha

I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg.

My Ride
    cars

haha, yeah and your prediction on the DOW? it is 6800 today.

The US is socializing all it's losses. You now own AIG and Citigroup. Good for you! hahahahaha

I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg.
    You momo.. You REALLY think that AIG & Citigroup aren't doing business in Canada as well.. UGH..

I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg of your stupidity.

No one is doubting that 2009 is going to be a hard year.. What I am saying is that we will see the U.S. rebound come 2010 and Canada will lag behind just has it has with the recession.

Thanks for the link

Any sites you recommend for "mortage 101"?

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

You momo.. You REALLY think that AIG & Citigroup aren't doing business in Canada as well.. UGH..

No one is doubting that 2009 is going to be a hard year.. What I am saying is that we will see the U.S. rebound come 2010 and Canada will lag behind just has it has with the recession.
    One of our banks bought the insurance portion of AIG, not our government, I'm not an expert in any of this I just wanted to post this fact because I'm tired of seeing you snap and insult fellow Beyonders all the time because you think you're the Warren Buffet of Beyond.
    http://money.canoe.ca/News/Sectors/B...006611-cp.html
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Bicycle

http://www.financialpost.com/scripts...tml?id=1329537

Not only BMO is buying. Manulife is also about to buy some asset off AIG. FIRE SALE!

While our dollar and index is tied to commodity and we all know we won't be escaping a global storm, we do have the cash to deal with it unlike the Americans which will see massive tax increase after 2010 to pay for all the spending now.

40% income tax for over $200K? Sounds like Canada but with no universal health care.

My Ride
    cars

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

One of our banks bought the insurance portion of AIG, not our government, I'm not an expert in any of this I just wanted to post this fact because I'm tired of seeing you snap and insult fellow Beyonders all the time because you think you're the Warren Buffet of Beyond.
    http://money.canoe.ca/News/Sectors/B...006611-cp.html
    Actually I would rather consider myself Ben Bernanke but in any case..

So you're saying that you know nothing about the subject but yet you're going to open your mouth because I'm expressing my opinion? Right.

Better start building a wall now.. YOU know how fast Americans are going to be jumping the border and coming to Canada because of much "better" it is there.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Holy fuck.

I gave you a lot of leeway because I figured you were just learning. But fuck are you ignorant. Maybe you should do some reading.

I wasn't talking about where they are doing business, you fucking retard. I was talking about who owns the fucking company.

The Canadian government does not own any banks, insurance companies, or brokerages. The US government does. FACT!

You should be banned for being stupid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast