Quantcast
where to patch up a chip on windshield? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: where to patch up a chip on windshield?

Default where to patch up a chip on windshield?

Hey guys I was wondering if anybody have any recommendations for where to patch up a chip on my windshield?

moreover I was wondering if whether patching up chips do any good in future preventions in further cracking?

thanks in advance guys

anyone?

My Ride
    nissan murano

I would recomend kings glass on centre street. These guys are very good at what they do and have been in the buisness longer than anyone. As far as preventing further cracking depending on the chip they can't say 100% it will never spread but it will definitely reduce the chance and in most cases will.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

You can also go to a place like Partssource, and get a kit for $10 whereby you can do it yourself.

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

Whats the average cost that shops charge to repair a chip?

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

around $30

apple
    -_-
    da intrenet is my best freind

My Ride
    '08 AW E92 335i

Originally posted by rumeo
    around $30
    Thanks, i have had the best luck with never needing to replace or repair a windshield. I get my new car and the next day a truck cuts me off and BAM a rock goes flying right into my windshield

So i called a place today and they asked me all the info on my car for some reason? What does it really matter? Wouldn't the price to fix a rock chip be the same for all makes and models?

He told me $40 and they can do it tomorrow first thing in the morning. I thought to myself "fuck thats crazy!" I guess it really isn't. I figured it out be like $15-$20 max.

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

There's some places around the city where they'll set up little kiosks in plazas. They do an awesome job and charge around $24, can't remember the name for the life of me.

My Ride
    06 TL A-Spec

Cal-Alta (theres one on Horton road in the SW)

20.00 Cash and only 15 minutes.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    fast and red.

I used one of those kits once on an old truck to see if it worked. Never spread, but it didn't seem as "invisible" as the professional job.

My Ride
    A33 VQ35

went to Cal-Alta today, the NE location near 32nd and mcknight. Great service and great people to work with! They work on a first come first serve basis. Highly recommended.
    SHIFT_theburger

My Ride
    95 Stealth RT/TT, '72 Duster

Originally posted by canuckcarguy
    I used one of those kits once on an old truck to see if it worked. Never spread, but it didn't seem as "invisible" as the professional job.
    it's very hit-and-miss when doing a chip repair as to how well it disappears. Sometimes you can't tell it was there, sometimes they don't look any different after the repair (I work in a glass shop).

My Ride
    00 Honda CR-V, 02 IS300

i know this sounds like a dumb question, but if a chip starts cracking, is there a way to stop the crack from spreading? I was thinking if I fill the original chip, then somehow stop the crack that started from spreading? Like maybe drilling a tiny hole at where the end of the crack is (like when they drill open the original chip), and fill that in to stop it?

I don't know if this sounds crazy, but my windshield is like $800 and I really don't want to get a new one right now...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by CivicDXR
    i know this sounds like a dumb question, but if a chip starts cracking, is there a way to stop the crack from spreading? I was thinking if I fill the original chip, then somehow stop the crack that started from spreading? Like maybe drilling a tiny hole at where the end of the crack is (like when they drill open the original chip), and fill that in to stop it?

I don't know if this sounds crazy, but my windshield is like $800 and I really don't want to get a new one right now...
    800$ ? Which vehicle?

You cant drill tempered glass as it will just break - unless you have somekind of special drill
    Last edited by revelations; 03-25-2009 at 11:41 PM.

My Ride
    00 Honda CR-V, 02 IS300

Originally posted by revelations

800$ ? Which vehicle?

You cant drill tempered glass as it will just break - unless you have somekind of special drill
    08 WRX with the windshield defrosters built into the glass... I didn't mean totally drill into it, last place that fixed a rockchip for me made the hole bigger with a tool before injecting the resin.

My Ride
    08 GSR

Did a search and thought I'd continue with this thread instead of starting a new one.

The biggest fucking rock hit my windsheild on deerfoot today, and there's a chip and the cracks are spidering out already. And I'm with CivicDXR, can I bring it to a auto glass repair place and get the chip filled in and at least stop it from cracking any further? Or am I shit outta luck, and need to repair my windshield to fix it?

My Ride
    Mazda 3

V6-boi go get it drilled and filled in asap. Put tape over it to keep it clean, try not to use your windshield washer. They are able to fill in cracks to about a foot i believe and will be virtually invisible after. Depending on where the crack is the fix is pretty much permanent.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by V6-BoI
    Did a search and thought I'd continue with this thread instead of starting a new one.

The biggest fucking rock hit my windsheild on deerfoot today, and there's a chip and the cracks are spidering out already. And I'm with CivicDXR, can I bring it to a auto glass repair place and get the chip filled in and at least stop it from cracking any further? Or am I shit outta luck, and need to repair my windshield to fix it?
    I'll post some before & after pics when I get home. But I had a huge chip, instant spider that I had repaired. Looks great for a $20 fix.

Like others said cover it with tape and don't get it wet or dirty.

My Ride
    '04 Grand Cherokee

Originally posted by CivicDXR

I used to work in a shop that did chip repairs and I have done many myself. I have tried that method before and to be honest, I wasn't too happy with the result. But at the same time, I never heard anything from the customer about it spreading afterwards but my personal opinion is that it will not work that well. But at the same time, since your windo is $$$ it may be worth the $30 to try and see if it works

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast