Quantcast
Mazda RX-8 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda RX-8

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by rotten42
    Worse than the reliability issues I had with the car were my experinves with the dealers. They seem to think that the warranty is just a suggestion.I had to fight them every time I took my car in.when the car worked I loved it but that wasn't that often. The dealers are the reason I won't ever look at another Mazda again!
    I went through similar issues with my wife's 2002 Protege 5 in regards to warranty which is also why I won't buy a Mazda ever again.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Few years ago I was going to buy a rx8 until i read up on all the horror stories. I love the styling and the back seats. The interior is especially the red/black interior
    I would totally buy the car if it had a better motor ( i know i know its suppose to be a rotory motor.) I just love the styling of the car. Reliability is a huge factor for me.

Anybody know why they would put a weaker engine in the RX-8 vs the RX-7? I don't know the mechanics of both engines, I know they're both rotary. I would assume the rx-8 is more reliable but just seems stupid for a manufacturer to make the "Successor model" to have 23 less hp. I would have expected them to UP the HP to about 275-280 and actually found a way to refine rotary technology.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

I think emissions had a lot to do with it

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by ryanallan
    I think emissions had a lot to do with it
    Emissions are part of the reason but reliability is the largest reason. The FD's were a major warranty headache for Mazda and making an NA rotary reliable is challenging enough.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    Anybody know why they would put a weaker engine in the RX-8 vs the RX-7? I don't know the mechanics of both engines, I know they're both rotary. I would assume the rx-8 is more reliable but just seems stupid for a manufacturer to make the "Successor model" to have 23 less hp. I would have expected them to UP the HP to about 275-280 and actually found a way to refine rotary technology.
    From what I understand, the RX-8 is not considered a "successor" to the RX-7 by Mazda.

I think they were actually talking about building a new RX-7 that would be more of a performance car.

I see what you mean though, sort of like how the 350Z released in 2002 was a slower car than the 300ZXTT built in 1989....

My Ride
    oooo

I had a RX8 for a week and thought it was terrible. The power was pathetic for a "sports car", i mean it felt about as fast as a miata or 4 cylinder altima.

IMO it's a great car for girls and a nice upgrade from a celica. But as far as a sports car goes, i think it is a joke. My buddies SUV beat it in a straight line
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

Originally posted by sillysod
    I had a RX8 for a week and thought it was terrible. The power was pathetic for a "sports car", i mean it felt about as fast as a miata or 4 cylinder altima.

IMO it's a great car for girls and a nice upgrade from a celica. But as far as a sports car goes, i think it is a joke. My buddies SUV beat it in a straight line

Than the car is clearly not for you. I envy the handling and balance of the car while still be able to carry 4 people. I own a car with tonnes of torque but it's just not fun to drive and you can't use all that power in the city.

I've wanted one for a while but it's the reliability that keeps me away. The warranty increase is tempting but I don't feel they have the dealer support to back it up.

My Ride
    oooo

Originally posted by QuasarCav

Than the car is clearly not for you. I envy the handling and balance of the car while still be able to carry 4 people. I own a car with tonnes of torque but it's just not fun to drive and you can't use all that power in the city.

I've wanted one for a while but it's the reliability that keeps me away. The warranty increase is tempting but I don't feel they have the dealer support to back it up.
    bang on... it is basically a 4 seater miata, that handles almost as well.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Toyota Prius

I find this interesting being a tech at mazda. imo an rx8 is a great car as long as the owner knows how to take care of it. reving it before turning it off reduces chances of flooding which is the biggest issue. As of 09 the motor has been changed. One customer of ours has been driving the car for 6 months and already has 30,000km's on it and it runs great. honestly the 09's look alot more promising compared to the older 13b's. Only time will tell i guess.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Originally posted by President Obama
    I find this interesting being a tech at mazda. imo an rx8 is a great car as long as the owner knows how to take care of it. reving it before turning it off reduces chances of flooding which is the biggest issue. As of 09 the motor has been changed. One customer of ours has been driving the car for 6 months and already has 30,000km's on it and it runs great. honestly the 09's look alot more promising compared to the older 13b's. Only time will tell i guess.
    Whats different with the 09 motors?

Comparing the power of a rx-8 and a miata is bit hash. Having driven both, the RX-8 definitely has a more responsive engine (in terms of power) than the miata and you don't have to wait for the power to come as much as the miata. The miata is more of a momentum car with great handling characteristics, which it certainly needs to not loose too much speeds in the corners.

My Ride
    AW10

one thing about the RX8

WTF IS with the oil filter?

so hard to get at when its do it yourself thing!

My Ride
    You Can't Afford It!!!

The RX8 is really nice and they are really fast. I don't know what people are talking about.

I was draging one from a roll and he beat me by 3 car lengths and chirped the tires shifting.

My Ride
    Ferrari

Rx-8 is a nice smooth daily driver that you can take your friends with you. It goes fast enough, handles well enough, and looks good enough. If it was good on gas, it would be called an MX-5.

If you want to turn heads, be pushed in the seat, have a ride like a race car, your looking at the wrong car. Theres at least 20 faster cars out there for the price.

If you want a normal great driving sports sedan (it does have 4 doors and 4 seats, and it did replace a sedan in japan) then your looking at a great car.

In a nutshell, the car is great fun. I enjoy driving it.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

If you buy the rx8 for straight lime performance then you are missing the point.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
    I'm going to speak as an actual owner, so first hand info. No complains here. Bought it brand new back in summer 2006

2) oil consumption. Yes it consumes more oil than your avg car, which again shouldn't be news to you, but it is not nearly as bad as what the above posters have suggested. I say ~1 bottle every 2500km, so once a month except when you get an oil change. not bad at all.

That's about how much my GTI goes through. 1 quart every 3k. VW says it's well within normal operating parameters for a DI engine.

My Ride
    You Can't Afford It!!!

Originally posted by rotten42
    If you buy the rx8 for straight lime performance then you are missing the point.
    they are fast in a drag race. i know

awsome revving sound

wikid burnout

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by timmmmmay

they are fast in a drag race. i know

awsome revving sound

wikid burnout

I don't see what those videos have proven.

This is an RX-8 vs. a 300ZX NA, which aren't fast:

I wouldn't even consider my twin turbo a really fast car. You must have pretty low standards... I'd hate to see what you consider a slow car.

But like someone said, if you're buying an RX-8 for speed, you're missing the point. Good chick cars though now that they don't make the Celica or RSX anymore...
    Last edited by badatusrnames; 03-07-2009 at 07:36 PM.

My Ride
    Ferrari

One of the reasons I bought my first Rx-7 many many years ago was because there was a buzzer when it hit redline. Car was beyond slow (18 second 1/4 mile) but it was a blast to drive. It did 120MPH on the flat.

I kept buying them because I liked it, not because everyone else liked it.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast