Quantcast
Call to limit ethnic malls in Calgary angers Asians - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Call to limit ethnic malls in Calgary angers Asians

Originally posted by riceboi

Lets be realistic here, it's all about supply and demand. If there's enough demand, I'm sure there will be one. By default, business owners are here to make money not to build community (some of them will but mostly for self-serving marketing).
    I wonder if you guys forget there is an Italian neighborhood in Calgary. When that was started I bet people said it was quaint. When an east asian one starts up people think "oh my god they are trying to change us"

On a lighter note:

Half of the stuff on the shelves of a Chinese supermarket - Even I have no idea what it is, lol. The Engrish translation can often be worse than no attempt at all, and the stuff I recognize is mainly due to previous purchases.

Better labelling might be a good idea. I was trying to make a traditional Chinese White tree fungus plate - and when I got to the store I couldn't figure out what type of tree fungus was the right one.

I can see how it can be incredibly daunting for a white person to try and find something in one of these malls. But without a doubt, the variety and complexity of raw and finished goods is pretty well unparalleled in a true Asian market (whether actually in China or in a "foreign quarter" part of a newer city) If you can't find it in an Asian market - you won't find it in New York either.

If there is one thing I'd like to see come back its Jimmy's beef jerky - that stuff was amazing, sugar cured in a more seasoned Chinese style. Although things like canned flavoured air - is just plain strange.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Let's face reality here, without these ethnic buffers (malls, stores, ethnic contractors, etc...) society just can't handle cultral integration. You don't believe me? How would you feel like if your teenaged caucasian daughter came home dating an Asian boy? (come on be honest) Or would you rather the Azn boy hang out at an Asian mall picking up his "own kind"?
    How can you say that? Geez man.

I'm facing this situation, just a little different. GF's parents can't speak english, only cantonese. However, she was born and raised here and has perfect english, and can speak 60% cantonese.

I'm white, (go figure), from England, white as it gets. Now, her parents want her to date an "asian boy", but like most asian girls, doesn't like asian men. Her mother/father do not like her with me (because im white).

She has told her mum it's the 21 century, we're in Canada, etc. Shes 20 and im 21.

Let your kid choose who they want to be with, that over parenting is so stupid.

Also, this is a bit of racism, and it has to stop! I have been no way rude to her parents because of the way they think. IMO they have closed minds which is sad, for them, they are missing out in todays society.
    Last edited by scat19; 03-10-2009 at 09:18 AM.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Maybe the Asian female consumer doesn't want to shop at Linen-n-Things, hence that's why you don't see Asian women "integrating" into those malls/stores... Maybe they're looking for Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Chanel... None of our business.

Has it occur to you that the average Asian male consumer might not find do-it-yourself projects to be fun, that the only tool collection they have are the allen-keys they saved from the last Ikea build? Hence it's not visible they're "integrating" into YOUR country and no surprise why they don't want to get wood from the local Home Depot, maybe they perfer getting wood from an Asian operated massage parlor... who knows, none of our business. (and you're blaming them for doing so right?)

Don't call me a racist again.
    wow talk about stereotyping asians. You think the "average" asian populace don't know jack about tools or building materials? and wtf... "no surprise why they don't want to get wood from the local Home Depot, maybe they prefer getting wood from an Asian operated massage parlor..."

fucking racist

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

Bumping an old thread to add my part. I have mixed feelings about the subject, so I know it might seem like I am contradicting myself a bit.

First, I personally agree that isn't totally correct to say that people can't build or cater their businesses to particular group, only because a particular group gravitates towards it; it is a free society.

I'm am a believer in the statement that there is "no such thing as other race, just other cultures". But the most sucessful way to have a mixed race society is mutual respect and understanding of all cultures and backgrounds but a general culture/philosophy and language that guides society.

I believe the reason why Canada is one of the few Westren nations that have been rather successful as a mixed race society is beacuse people are generally accepting and welcoming of other cultures opposed to the whole "this is X nation act like an X memeber of it" which is why forigners in Canada intergrate into the general society and blend into the greater values of this nation, opposed to excessivly holding onto the values of their heritage.

It is a delicate balance though, if people do make the choice to excessivly segregate themselves and reject the general values of Canada and the West I believe it is out of suspicion of greater society, usually due to discrimnation. This suspeicion is the pleague that lingers in communities such as the Black community in the USA or the Native community in Canada, which I don't fully blame them for having, but, it holds many memebers back from fully enjoying what their respective nations have to offer them, especially in the modern westren mixed race nation.

Do you think my family would be so Canadian if we couldn't let go of our German heritage nearly a hundred years ago? Even my great grandfather instead of taking the war against Germany as a personal attack on his heritage, he went and joined the war against the same nation of his birth.

Also Tomco, I'm sorry but I don't agree with the statement that in China racism isn't a problem, it is a huge problem and the Hans treat other ethnic groups like garbage and it is the status quo in most East Asian nations, look at how Koreans even a couple generation downt the line in Japan are treated, or Brazilian Japanese.
    Last edited by Maybelater; 09-07-2011 at 12:05 AM.

My Ride
    NC1

It's just the first generation (older immigrants) who have trouble integrating. The second/third generation, it's all good. They grow up knowing the language/culture and not so much dismiss their heritage but we in Canada man, drink beer and watch hockey, snowboard and shit. lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by max_boost
    It's just the first generation (older immigrants) who have trouble integrating. The second/third generation, it's all good. They grow up knowing the language/culture and not so much dismiss their heritage but we in Canada man, drink beer and watch hockey, snowboard and shit. lol
    first generation Canadians don't shit?

Originally posted by yellowsnow

wow talk about stereotyping asians. You think the "average" asian populace don't know jack about tools or building materials? and wtf... "no surprise why they don't want to get wood from the local Home Depot, maybe they prefer getting wood from an Asian operated massage parlor..."

fucking racist
    lol do you even know who Tomco is? Or what he does for a trade?

My Ride
    G6

I don't think Chinatown here is any worse then say Poland Town in Toronto. Either place allows for a community where members don't even have to speak English to get along. However, as max_boost said above, this is just an issue for immigrants and within a couple generations those families have been integrated into Canadian society. I don't see much issue.

Asian people don't have much experience with hand tools.

We prefer using much much larger equipment to build things like oceanic bridges in four years.

The last time we used hand tools, was over 100 years ago.

Go big or go bust.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Originally posted by Feruk
    I don't think Chinatown here is any worse then say Poland Town in Toronto. Either place allows for a community where members don't even have to speak English to get along. However, as max_boost said above, this is just an issue for immigrants and within a couple generations those families have been integrated into Canadian society. I don't see much issue.
    look at bridgeland. It used to be little italy. Now it just has a few good restaurants and a car wash/dealership with italian flags.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Asian people don't have much experience with hand tools.

We prefer using much much larger equipment to build things like oceanic bridges in four years.

The last time we used hand tools, was over 100 years ago.

Go big or go bust.
    ZenOps is Asian?

Now I don't know what to think.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Originally posted by sputnik

ZenOps is Asian?

Good lord.....

My Ride
    some blue car

Originally posted by gpomp
    first generation Canadians don't shit?
    I actually laughed out loud at this post.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

ZenOps is Asian?

lolll my thoughts exactly.
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by ZenOps
    fried bread for breakfast
    Toutons......... Fucking delicious.

ZenOps is Asian?

Exactly what I thought!
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

ZenOps is Asian?

WHAT THE FUCK.

Next somebody's gonna tell me that HeavyD is brown.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

Hahaha we are narrowing down the list of suspects to ZenOps real identity.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by Maybelater
    Hahaha we are narrowing down the list of suspects to ZenOps real identity.
    It's Rob Anders.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by GQBalla
    hmmm i dont understand this because i know many caucasian people to shop at pacific place.
    I shop at T&T so I can feel like a giant.
    -U

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast