Quantcast
Salman Rushdie - 20 Years since the Fatwa - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Salman Rushdie - 20 Years since the Fatwa

Default Salman Rushdie - 20 Years since the Fatwa

I was watching today a BBC documentary on the twentieth anniversary of the Ayatollah Khomeini's fatwa against Salman Rushdie and a number of others involved in publishing the Satanic Verses.

I raise the issue because it seems to touch upon and yet be distinct from a couple other threads that are attracting some interest at the moment.

A couple questions that might start the ball rolling;

How many people have read The Satanic Verses?

Is the Fatwa, though sort of retracted, still valid for Muslims?

Are the issues surrounding free speech as relevant now as they were in 1989?

To these I would answer, Yes - though nearly twenty years ago and as a result of the controversy, I have no idea, and absolutely.

The BBC documentary has been posted on Youtube:
    Originally posted by 01RedDX

Eye for an eye should apply to both, like if you raped a cat, you would get raped by a bigger cat. Counselling doesn't work on animal rapists you clown.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Salman Rushdie - 20 Years since the Fatwa

Originally posted by BlueGoblin
    How many people have read The Satanic Verses?
    I have. I still have my first print hardcover with dust jacket. I was hoping it'd be worth something someday, it's been 21 years and nothing... haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Nice - I just had a beat up paperback that I acquired second hand.

I have to say though that I hope your first edition doesn't suddenly gain some value, if you catch my drift.

Eye for an eye should apply to both, like if you raped a cat, you would get raped by a bigger cat. Counselling doesn't work on animal rapists you clown.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Default Re: Re: Salman Rushdie - 20 Years since the Fatwa

Originally posted by rage2

I have. I still have my first print hardcover with dust jacket. I was hoping it'd be worth something someday, it's been 21 years and nothing... haha.

I have the same...I got it from my Father years back...haha...didn't come to mind though that maybe one day would be worth some coin haha...

Ina answer to your questions Officer...Fatwah's at least to me are a JOKE...I am Muslim, not the best practising one as I have stated many times here on beyond.

Yes, making a "mockery", of Islam is wrong, as I believe about any religion. Intentionally portraying any faith in a poor or negative light I feel is not fair. Bringing up discussions in an intelligent manner...I am all for. Do I still spit Jesus jokes?? Yes. Do I still make Muslim jokes??...Yes. Do I still crack Jewish, Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist jokes?? Yes, yes, yes and yes...I don't know how I justify it in my head...but its "kosher" for me to do so. I think it's context, intentions and audience...

Free speech??...I think the issues surrounding it now are a lot more "hard core" than they were during the time the book was penned. I do agree that it is harder to find "accurate" information about Islam than any other the other Abrahamic faiths. I also know that talking about Islam both PRE and POST 9/11 garners more heat, attention, arguing, bomb throwing, fatwah inducing, enemy and wall building than any other topic in recent history...
    ...@therealarifjina...

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).

^Thanks for removing that post.

I'd hoped to keep this civil.