Quantcast
Calgary to Vancouver on a Sport.. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Calgary to Vancouver on a Sport..

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by JfuckinC
    my lower back is a vagina

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ then try this http://www.throttlemeister.com/ Its quite honestly, cruise control. You can instantly snap it back too. Its a must for long trips.

When on my bike, I just have a gel seat, and that works fine. I stop every couple hours to stretch out my legs but its no biggie.
    I hate having a 600, because i have no fuel gauge, so I'm not very adventurous at all when it comes to taking long trips with my bike. I have to plan it out so I know there will be a gas station every 200kms or so.

I'd do Vancouver no problem. Just make sure you check the weather reports quite carefully, and dont go so early or late that there is a chance of freezing rain or snow.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    a minivan, a maxima, and a KLR

Don't be a wuss...just go for it. You'll have a blast. You should be able to easily do 500-600 kms a day without your body hating you. One a sportbike, straight highways suck because you're stuck in the same position for a long time. Take the scenic route and avoid the Trans Canada! There's some of the best roads in Canada between here and Vancouver. I'd be happy to suggest a route for you if you want to take 3-4 days for the ride and have it be really fun.

yeah if your out of shape it will hurt a bit, but itll be a adventure.
    workout on legs back and neck before the trip if your still worried.

it is a fun riding long distances on a sport bike, but its not as bad as your think. When ive rode long distances, i noticed the trip back is longggg unless its a different route

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by Cowtown_Raider
    Don't be a wuss...just go for it. You'll have a blast. You should be able to easily do 500-600 kms a day without your body hating you. One a sportbike, straight highways suck because you're stuck in the same position for a long time. Take the scenic route and avoid the Trans Canada! There's some of the best roads in Canada between here and Vancouver. I'd be happy to suggest a route for you if you want to take 3-4 days for the ride and have it be really fun.
    If a Ducati sportbike owner will tell you that, then I'd say it may as well be a go for anybody on anything short of a moped.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    92 JDM EG6 RHD, 06 cbr 600RR

Its a great trip. i did it last summer! well i went all the way to Victoria. make sure you have good rain gear. my ride out there wasnt so good. it rained from canmore all the way to kamloops. imy back was fine but my wrist got sore after a while. i did it in 2 days.

There's some of the best roads in Canada between here and Vancouver. I'd be happy to suggest a route for you if you want to take 3-4 days for the ride and have it be really fun.
    please do, we have nothing but time on our hands lol

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Took me 10hrs, on a VTR1000 - I wouldnt think about this ride on a CRB600rr though - unless youve done some modifications to it to make it more comfortable and safer.

For eg:

double bubble screen
    vista cruise (throttle lock)
    tank bag
    tire seal kit
    extra tools
    raised handle bars about 1" (the clip ons)

My neck was the most sore, followed by my ass - I've heard that cheap imitation lamb skin car seatcovers cut to fit a bike seat make the bum less numb.

Bike shorts are your best friends. The liner gives you that bit of extra cushion and your butt will thank you for it. I find on my R6 that it is my knees and my right wrist that get sore first and worst. At hiway speeds most sport bikes will direct enough air at your chest that it will buoy you up and relieve the stress on your back. I usually ride about 200 km gas stop to gas stop. That is usually around the 2 hour mark and by that point I am ready for a break. 5-6 hours on the bike is about all I want to do in a day, things start to get pretty sore by that point and there is no point in making a pleasant days ride into a death march.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    a minivan, a maxima, and a KLR

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

If a Ducati sportbike owner will tell you that, then I'd say it may as well be a go for anybody on anything short of a moped.
    I didn't do much touring on the 996, but I've done a couple longer trips on the Gixxer 1000. Most I did was about 900 kms in one day from Hope to Kelowna, to Calgary. I had a long break on the beach in Kelowna so it was tolerable

Sadly, both bikes are gone ...other priorities at the moment, but I'll get back on the saddle eventually.

To the OP, I conjured up a route that I took in 2006, but asked my buddy for his opinion and he gave me an even better route. The Kaslo - New Denver road is arguably the best road in Canada. Sadly, I missed it and ended up going through Nelson...don't make the same mistake lol

This route is about 1600 kms, so 3 days should do it.

Google Map Route

The Kaslo - New Denver road is arguably the best road in Canada. Sadly, I missed it and ended up going through Nelson...don't make the same mistake lol

Google Map Route
    I rode that for my holidays last year, great trip. The road from Nakusp over to Vernon is supposed to be even better and I am thinking of taking that as part of my route this year. Creston, Kaslo, Nakusp, Vernon and then where ever takes my fancy from there.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

looking at that map, is highway #68 a good road to drive on? Just looking for some new roads that are not too far from here

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by HHURICANE1

I rode that for my holidays last year, great trip. The road from Nakusp over to Vernon is supposed to be even better and I am thinking of taking that as part of my route this year. Creston, Kaslo, Nakusp, Vernon and then where ever takes my fancy from there.
    There's a lotta deer there at night, be fucking CAREFUL. By a lot, I mean hundreds of them.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

Originally posted by CUG
    There's a lotta deer there at night, be fucking CAREFUL. By a lot, I mean hundreds of them.
    Thanks for the warning. Lucky I'm not planning on going through there at night. Deer+bike=really bad day!
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    sr86

Originally posted by HHURICANE1

Thanks for the warning. Lucky I'm not planning on going through there at night. Deer+bike=really bad day!
    you mean really bad night right?

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

I rode out to victoria last may long weekend on an R6. did it in two days. kelowna the first day(fuel stops were lake louise, golden, revelstoke, and one other small town), the trip from kelowna to the coast is a lot easier as far as fueling goes, fill up in merritt before blasting down the coquahalla, I did the coquahalla fairly quickly until I came down near the bottom of descent then slowed RIGHT down, there were 5 huge radar traps coming through the lower section. then just fill up whenever the fuel light comes on all the way in.

Vanouver is decent to ride in, but the island has some WAY better roads, coming back here and doing the old banff coach road you realize how much alberta really has no good roads whatsoever.

for fun highways on the way out rather than the coquahalla take highway 3, it'll add an hour or two of travel time but it's a really fun highway, couple tight sections, lots of long sweeping corners with some amazing scenery. me and a buddy rode it on our way back to kelowna(splits off just after hope, takes you through fraser valley - princeton - peachland - then in to kelowna) to meet up with the rest of our group there(I was solo for the whole trip to the island, rode with one other for the trip back to kelowna, then 11 bikes from kelowna - calgary)

Fuel stops really aren't as big of an issue as people are making them out to be, we had two ducati 1098's with us on the way back, they only get 150-170 k a tank and they still didn't have any issues.
    Last edited by Go4Long; 03-16-2009 at 05:41 AM.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

I have done the vancouver trip 4 times and to kelowna 7 times. Easy easy easy.. 212kph speeding ticket in revelstoke doesn't help either. Either way watch for radar/laser thats the only thing i can say to that. Blinder all the way!!!
    Sometimes you have to take a chance, whether that be on someone, or something!

My Ride
    V8s

Ya me and a cousin rode from Vegas to LA, up the 1/101 next to the ocean all the way to Van, then Vic. It was epic down south, then started gettin chilly/sore. It wasnt my wrists or back, but neck that got me super sore. (I ride a '01 R1)

The moral of the story: keep an eye on your fuel and bring rain geart. CGY to Van is a short enough ride for 1 really long day/2 easy days..

My Ride
    Mercedes CL, 636 stunt bikes

does no one do long trips anymore?
    its an 8hr ride thats nothing, do it usually 3-4 times ayear on sport bikes
    I stop every 280-300km with agressive riding and I send my stuff down on a bus the day before and pick it up when I get to van
    I went from Melfort Sask. to Montery Califonia in 4 days a couple years ago on a 2003 R1.

My Ride
    '08 Suzuki GSXR600

i wanna go from calgary to merritt.
    i do banff and golden runs and my back gets pretty sore, i always figured it was because of my height though

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast