Official Long-term Investments Thread - Page 24 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Long-term Investments Thread

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Chirp Chirp. Anyone have any updates?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It appears that this has turned into the "ExtraSlow's talking to himself again" thread. But I don't mind.

Given the shitstorm of oil prices, and the subsequent decline of many of my stocks, I'm considering "doubling down" so to speak and picking up some more energy companies.

Now, my theory for a "long term" investment is that it would need to some someone who could weather an extended downturn. So possibly not the same group of companies I already own.

Just some example of current "deals":
    CNQ, down 21% last three months.
    CPG down 33% last three months
    FRU Down 26% last three months

I would consider those three to be "blue chip" energy stocks. Others of note are PSK, SU.

I'm not buying today, honestly at this point hoping for a further pullback. I expect a dead cat bounce next week, and then we'll really know where we are in a couple weeks.

Anyone else on the same page with me? Anyone have opinions on the stocks I mentioned or others similar?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Wow woke up to the best news today. I've invested in GLN lots over the last 6 years as glentel (wirelesswave) aggressively expanded into America, then Australia and then the Philippines.

Their stock got beat up badly as their buyout in Australia didn't go as planned but after their last quaterly results that were positive it bounced back quite a bit. Now BCE (bell) is buying out Glentel. Stock has more then doubled over night.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I heard that. I wasn't an investor in that business, but looking at it in hindsight, it makes a lot of sense, both from an investor standpoint, and from BCE's point of view.

Now is it worth cashing out or ride it out and hope for regulatory approval? I have the option of switching to BCE shares if all goes as planned.

Originally posted by gwill
    Wow woke up to the best news today. I've invested in GLN lots over the last 6 years as glentel (wirelesswave) aggressively expanded into America, then Australia and then the Philippines.

Their stock got beat up badly as their buyout in Australia didn't go as planned but after their last quaterly results that were positive it bounced back quite a bit. Now BCE (bell) is buying out Glentel. Stock has more then doubled over night.
    It's always nice when you get one of these in your portfolio.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    It appears that this has turned into the "ExtraSlow's talking to himself again" thread. But I don't mind.

Given the shitstorm of oil prices, and the subsequent decline of many of my stocks, I'm considering "doubling down" so to speak and picking up some more energy companies.

Now, my theory for a "long term" investment is that it would need to some someone who could weather an extended downturn. So possibly not the same group of companies I already own.

Just some example of current "deals":
    CNQ, down 21% last three months.
    CPG down 33% last three months
    FRU Down 26% last three months

I would consider those three to be "blue chip" energy stocks. Others of note are PSK, SU.

I'm not buying today, honestly at this point hoping for a further pullback. I expect a dead cat bounce next week, and then we'll really know where we are in a couple weeks.

Anyone else on the same page with me? Anyone have opinions on the stocks I mentioned or others similar?
    I'm thinking along these lines as well. Been watching many oil stocks the last couple months, so tempting to pull the trigger numerous times, but I am glad I have not yet. Glad I am sitting on a bunch of cash to take advantage of this.

SU, CNQ, and CVE are my top watchers right now. Anyone have any thoughts on MEG? They have been hit real hard this past week.

I am not too sure I understand your dead cat bounce analogy? As in you expect no bounce back at all? I won't be buying for a little while either, gonna wait and see how this plays out before I step in.

Interesting to see Rogers sue Glentel for an injunction on the bell takeover. I sort of expected a competing offer as opposed to threats and law suits. Glad I decided to sell right away.

If rogers doesn't win the injunction and cancels wirelesswaves licenses I think Telus would win big time by filling that void. They would have more distribution channels by a large margin.

It will be interesting to see how this take over plays out.

Wow Glentel share holders should be a bit pissed off. Rogers drops the lawsuit and partners up with bell in the take over of the Glentel/wireless wave. I sort of expected a competing offer but we ended up seeing a lawsuit. Then I was completely wrong as the law suit turned into a partnership! So strange.

In the end Rogers couldn't lose that distribution channel.

Anyone looking into buying the ETF HOU? Pretty low, ride it back to the top when oil goes up? Potential to make some big money...

Purchased Precision Drilling (PD) today for my RSP. I'm rather confident this will be an easy double over the next 2-5 years.

Added Trinidad Drilling (TDG) today for my RSP as well. Again looking in the 2-5 year range for an easy double.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So are you bullish on all the drillers, or those two particularly?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by weezy00
    Anyone looking into buying the ETF HOU? Pretty low, ride it back to the top when oil goes up? Potential to make some big money...
    This has been covered a few times, but you need to understand the ways in which those leveraged ETF's don't act quite like normal equities or index ETF's over longer time horizons.

Remember, they don't attempt to replicate monthly returns, just daily returns. The monthly returns aren't the same as just adding up all the daily returns . . . This difference is important.

I am looking at it as a strictly daily oil price kind of thing. I would expect like trends have indicated that it will increase substantially when oil increaes, just as how it has did the inverse due to oil dropping.

For me it is a short term thing, or whenever oil rebounds.

So are you bullish on all the drillers, or those two particularly?
    Well drillers get hit hard at times like this like most service companies (even though everything is getting hit hard). I like these 2 in particular due to debt and dividends. There are a lot to choose from but I think these 2 can weather the storm.

My Ride
    15,000 red line

This has been covered a few times, but you need to understand the ways in which those leveraged ETF's don't act quite like normal equities or index ETF's over longer time horizons.

Remember, they don't attempt to replicate monthly returns, just daily returns. The monthly returns aren't the same as just adding up all the daily returns . . . This difference is important.
    Is there a long-term alternative? Put RESP/RRSP and wait it out...

bought some T.HEU today for 3.12, hoping for a bit of a bounce this week.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you have kids, the RESP grants are probably the best return on any investment out there. If that's not full for the year, I'd hit that hard to start.

Still have to pick something to hold inside those account however.

Originally posted by roopi
    Purchased Precision Drilling (PD) today for my RSP. I'm rather confident this will be an easy double over the next 2-5 years.
    Well I guess this could have went in the short term thread. Ended up selling this today. 13% gain in a couple of weeks so I had to take it. My intentions were to wait this one out for more but I'll take the 13% now and wait for it to drop down to re buy.

Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast