Quantcast
Official Long-term Investments Thread - Page 27 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Long-term Investments Thread

My Ride
    Exploded.

That's like asking which brand has the softest boxers without opening the package.

You gotta do SOME homework, silly goose.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by flipstah
    That's like asking which brand has the softest boxers without opening the package.

You gotta do SOME homework, silly goose.
    I figured I'd skip some steps Beyond is always telling me how to live my life, why can't they tell me how to invest?

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

The cool thing about RRSP's is that you can access them BEFORE retirement for a few reasons, like going back to school, buying a house etc. If you have a higher chance of using it for that, you don't actually want to be very aggressive at all, since your time horizon is shorter.

if it's truly for retirement, just pick one of those target-date bundle options and be done with it. Zero hassle, just set and forget.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Is this one of those plans that once you leave the company, it turns into a LRA?

That's what happened to mine!

Can't touch it till I actually retire WTF.

If so, follow what JimmyJames said and set it on your ideal retirement year, whether it be 2045 or 2050.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    The cool thing about RRSP's is that you can access them BEFORE retirement for a few reasons, like going back to school, buying a house etc. If you have a higher chance of using it for that, you don't actually want to be very aggressive at all, since your time horizon is shorter.

if it's truly for retirement, just pick one of those target-date bundle options and be done with it. Zero hassle, just set and forget.
    This is very enlightening.

Sounds to me like a TFSA might be a better fit for me? I don't plan on going back to school (I can see it being necessary though with the way the world works nowadays. I'm 28). Already bought my first place, so no HBP for me. I'd prefer for it to be more accessible.

Further reading makes it seem like the pension and rrsps operate similarly enough to not justify having both. The pension is very well funded, and the payout upon retirement is similiar to what I would shoot for financially if I had no pension and did all the investing myself. Anything further is just additional retirement savings on top of that.

Originally posted by flipstah
    Is this one of those plans that once you leave the company, it turns into a LRA?

That's what happened to mine!

Can't touch it till I actually retire WTF.

If so, follow what JimmyJames said and set it on your ideal retirement year, whether it be 2045 or 2050.
    I will have to look into this, I do not know.

Thanks guys

My Ride
    Exploded.

TFSA vs. RRSP is dependent on your income bracket IMO.

RRSP is just a way to lower the hit and to bring you down a bracket.

TFSA and RRSP are able to be withdrawn; TFSA has no tax reduction, while RRSP does.

LRA, or locked-in retirement account means you can't touch it until you retire. Unless you're going to die soon.

It's only worth it to do this through your company if they are matching or the management fees are really low due to it being a group plan. You can usually do better on your own.
    ---

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by kenny
    It's only worth it to do this through your company if they are matching or the management fees are really low due to it being a group plan. You can usually do better on your own.
    That's what I figured. There is no matching (confirmed with HR because there was mention of it in the provided documentation), and they quote the "management fees" being low, but if we are talking a 1% difference return on investment in management fee savings, I don't have enough money to remotely make that 1% difference matter.

Check the MERs. They may be very, very low. My wife's DC plan has an average MER of 0.03%, managed by Sun Life.

Pensions turn into LIRAs when you leave the company - not RRSPs. It's not like you can touch yoru pension if you stay at the company til you retire anyways, so not really sure what the big deal is about that? You can still manage your own investments as a LIRA.

Regarding HiTemp's situation, i am curious what the point is of this program if they don't match? One thing i could see as a benefit is that if you're contributing off your cheque, you would get the tax benefits every pay day instead of just when you do your yearly tax return.

Regarding which plan to pick, if you're not savvy with this stuff i'd weight it heavily towards the 2055 plan. Those plans with years in them are referring to your retirement date and essentially they are designed such that they rebalance every year as you get closer to the year name in the plan with the idea that it starts out risky (mostly equities) and as it gets closer to 2055 they balance more towards cash-type investments like bonds which are less risky. If you look at the 2020 plan (people retiring in 3 years) it would be heavily low-risk investments and barely any risk equities.

My suggestion would be to go with 75% of your contributions to the 2055 plan, then split the remaining 25% across 2-3 other funds that interest you. If you login to the Sun Life website it will show you the previous 3/5/10 year average rates of returns and that can give you an idea of how they are performing. Personally i'd go with US equities type funds... Ca equities are not doing so hot lately, but one could argue that means they also have the biggest growth potential.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I'm looking towards putting a big chunk into HMMJ on the dip if it happens. Looking at something in the 10.50 range or under if possible. I think it may be a great medium to long term hold. Never was really into MJ stocks on their own, but love the idea of an MJ ETF.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    I'm looking towards putting a big chunk into HMMJ on the dip if it happens. Looking at something in the 10.50 range or under if possible. I think it may be a great medium to long term hold. Never was really into MJ stocks on their own, but love the idea of an MJ ETF.
    Got in at $10.13, will wait for $60 to fund the kids' education
    ---

Not sure how much you are looking to invest but this ETF only holds 10-15 companies. You might be better off just purchasing the stocks yourself.

My Ride

Wow great price.
    Originally posted by roopi

Not sure how much you are looking to invest but this ETF only holds 10-15 companies. You might be better off just purchasing the stocks yourself.
    Naw, I think it is best to stick to the ETF, otherwise it would be a management nightmare. In the end it may not matter too much performance wise, but it would be less work for me in the end. Looking at ~$50k CAD once I start transferring some funds back from US. It won't be long until we see some leveraged MJ ETF's

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

"Gee Kenny, how did you ever afford to put your kids through college?!"

" Drugs. No, seriously. Drugs. "

Haha

hahah, yeah it'd definitely make for a pretty good story
    ---

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by sabad66
    Pensions turn into LIRAs when you leave the company - not RRSPs. It's not like you can touch yoru pension if you stay at the company til you retire anyways, so not really sure what the big deal is about that? You can still manage your own investments as a LIRA.

Regarding HiTemp's situation, i am curious what the point is of this program if they don't match? One thing i could see as a benefit is that if you're contributing off your cheque, you would get the tax benefits every pay day instead of just when you do your yearly tax return.

Regarding which plan to pick, if you're not savvy with this stuff i'd weight it heavily towards the 2055 plan. Those plans with years in them are referring to your retirement date and essentially they are designed such that they rebalance every year as you get closer to the year name in the plan with the idea that it starts out risky (mostly equities) and as it gets closer to 2055 they balance more towards cash-type investments like bonds which are less risky. If you look at the 2020 plan (people retiring in 3 years) it would be heavily low-risk investments and barely any risk equities.

My suggestion would be to go with 75% of your contributions to the 2055 plan, then split the remaining 25% across 2-3 other funds that interest you. If you login to the Sun Life website it will show you the previous 3/5/10 year average rates of returns and that can give you an idea of how they are performing. Personally i'd go with US equities type funds... Ca equities are not doing so hot lately, but one could argue that means they also have the biggest growth potential.
    Didn't realize anyone had responded to this, thank you for the detailed reply! I now have some info to go on and will look into it a bit more thoroughly.

My Ride

My order for HMMJ will be 9.99 as a starting point over the next week or so. Patience for me.

My order for HMMJ will be 9.99 as a starting point over the next week or so. Patience for me.
    Time to get in
    ---

My Ride
    NC1

9.25 today.

Rather than average down on my Aphria I should just buy some HMMJ eh lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 37 ... LastLast