Quantcast
Official Long-term Investments Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 53 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Long-term Investments Thread

Post Long-term Investment Thread?

To the mods - is there a possibility of starting an investment thread for LT investing. The current investment thread has turned into a daytrading thread (which is NOT a bad thing), but I think given the amount of posts, that a second Longer-Term value investment thread would be helpful.

Anyone agree, disagree?

agreed. Would be nice to have a thread for long term investment strategies and wealth preservation. Especially in todays market.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

stuck

My Ride
    NC1

That was fast! I was just asking Nutz to sticky this haha

Can you change the thread title on the other one? High risk investments/day trading or something to that effect lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Thanks for doing this so quickly.

So here's a topic of discussion for those who are evaluating their current long-term (RSP) holdings.

I'm thinking of taking positions in the following:
    C - Citibank is just to large a bank to fail, and although their B/S is garbage, they are a prime candidate to make it through this mess. Most likely i'll diversify this with holdings in BAC and perhaps JPM.

BPO - Brookfield owns some of the nicest properties around, and is a prime candidate to rebound nicely once the RE mess slowly turns around. It's also a great hold during inflationary periods.

I haven't spent much time doing research lately though....

My Ride
    Nissan Safari

I like the couch potato portfolio.
    http://www.taxtips.ca/stocksandbonds...ndedstocks.htm

Originally posted by ckangarloo
    I like the couch potato portfolio.
    http://www.taxtips.ca/stocksandbonds...ndedstocks.htm
    I'm not a big fan of this. Sure the fees are low, but through the fall you got hammered with this as opposed to an actively managed portfolio.

My Ride
    Nissan Safari

^I'm thinking now as opposed to eight months ago.
    That being said, my actively managed mutual funds have been hammered pretty good (down 40% since July).

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

I posted this in another thread, but it fits in here as well:

I use a company that purchases working interests (at a severe discount, as a lot of junior companies are in a cash crunch and need to sell assets) in O&G wells all over Alberta, and offers investors the chance to share the cash flow from those wells.

It's set up as an RRSP eligible mutual fund trust, 100% of net cash flow is paid quarterly to the investors.

The idea is that as oil eventually climbs back up, your equity appreciates with the price of the commodity, all the while you are receiving dividends.

You can transfer any type of registered product, or use cash.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

TD.TO

I bought @33-34 and I will hold for 3-5 years.

TR.UN

I got kkillled It cut it's distribution. I plan to never sell (it's in my TFSA).

My Ride
    '04 E46 330ci ZHP

In any given year about 70% of index funds will out perform any actively managed mutual fund. Are there some good fund managers out there? Sure, but the odds of finding one that will CONSISTANTLY out perform market returns in the LONG RUN, are very low.

ETF porfolios are a great, cost effective way to investing for long term investors. The majority of us on this site have a long time horizon, and now is a fantastic buying opportunity for a passive investment strategy.

Sure individual stock picking is ok, and can make investing more "exciting", but IMO MOST of your porfolio should be in invested using a passive investment strategy, with the proper asset allocation that reflects your time horizon and risk tolerance.
    Last edited by 91_Integz; 03-12-2009 at 11:13 AM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

^ What ETF type portfolios do people like? I think things will near bottom in the next 6-12 months and it would bea great time to jump on something like that for the long-term - perhaps in a TFSA.

Originally posted by 91_Integz
    In any given year about 70% of index funds will out perform any actively managed mutual fund. Are there some good fund managers out there? Sure, but the odds of finding one that will CONSISTANTLY out perform market returns in the LONG RUN, are very low.

ETF porfolios are a great, cost effective way to investing for long term investors. The majority of us on this site have a long time horizon, and now is a fantastic buying opportunity for a passive investment strategy.

Sure individual stock picking is ok, and can make investing more "exciting", but IMO MOST of your porfolio should be in invested using a passive investment strategy, with the proper asset allocation that reflects your time horizon and risk tolerance.
    This is what has been hammered into me for the last year or so and it seems like a nice, logical way of investing. Does anybody disagree? Can you explain why?

My Ride
    a tank

I like the following article lol

Mission:

To restore the underlying false confidence in our economic and monetary systems thus continuing the dominance of the global financial power elite.

Plan of Attack:

1) Start by having the President tell the investing public to buy stocks because they are cheap.

2) Slam the gold and silver markets using the traditional COMEX paper rigging operation to hide the truth about the condition of the US Dollar and the fact that the world is quickly running out of both physical metals.

3) Have CEO's of major banks such as Citigroup and JP Morgan announce that they had a great first two months (excluding losses in mortgage portfolios, credit card portfolios, credit default swaps and other toxic derivatives)

4) Have the Plunge Protection Team flood the markets with stock buy orders to flush the shorts and brings along the perma Bulls like lemmings.

5) Float rumors of ending mark-to-market accounting and re-instating the uptick rule to fry the short traders.

6) Have GM announce that they don't need the extra $2B in March (ooo, so all their problems are cured... for 3 weeks at least!)

7) Have the Muppets on financial TV programs proclaim that the bottom is in and it's safe to go back in the investing water.

8) Introduce a restrictive US mining law that would destroy all hard rock mining operations in the US so the banking cabal can cover their naked mining share shorts..

9) Downgrade GE to AA+ and declare "it's a good thing" giving them a "Stable" outlook and goose their share price so no one thinks there's anything wrong..."No problems here".

10) Do anything and everything you can except NEVER show the true fragile state of the monetary system with over a QUADRILLION DOLLARS in derivatives that have yet to be resolved (...in fact they are growing exponentially!)

EXPECTED RESULT: Buy a few more weeks/months before the complete collapse of the global monetary system
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

LOL.... that's pretty funny.

Whether we were at the bottom or not, this excitement over the past 3 days will be short-lived.

My Ride
    a tank

Friday,

ok boys, this could get very exicting I hope.

as I have been stressing for many weeks that gold and oil are both looking ready for a good pop. gold (to me) was in a correction and would take all weakness as a chance to get in, and oil was after breaking out of 45 was a clear signal that the down trend may have ended and now is about to form a trend. UP!!!

I hope those that followed me are well position in HGU for gold in the 11s or lower recently.

and technically I am happy to report that other experts are inline of what I see and here are some of their charts to save me some drawing time.

gold after breaking the massive down trendline is now holding very well above its 200 day moving average on the hourly chart, looking at the hui index which tracks closely to the performence of HGU you can clearly see we are (potentially today) on the verge of a breakout, once the breakout happens it could be exicting time as it gold share is slowly but starting to outperform gold again which can only mean one thing. Gold will rise, but you can see gold share take off first

I dont trade the GLD fund because they are in US dollars, but you can see the bounce off the trend channel is another signal once that sharp downtrendline is broken, all hell breaks loose

as for oil, oil was clearly went from being in a bear trend into a bull trend when it broke above 45, and since they all dips should be viewed as a buying opportunity or for oil bears to GET THE PHUCK OUT! I Hope you did. look at the posted chart below, the down trend is clearly broken, and when I said a day ago that unless oil can fall below 42 to confirm breaking to the downside it didnt, it held up perfectly and thus the massive 4-5 dollar move upward.

and finally the USO oil fund which again I do not trade because of the dam 30% exchange rate, but also clearly has bounced off the trendline and has retested the trendline after it broke the downtrend line.

so we could be in some exciting time breakout profits here folks. the hui index I think still need to close above 290, if there are any dips between hui and oil for the next little while I would view that has the last test of the lows/supports before taking flight

good luck

_________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

I'm holding my ABX calls close to the vest right now. Whatever comes out of that is being moved into longterm holdings in SU, C, BPO, BAC, etc. There it will most likely sit for a while.

That's an excellent write-up SR.

My Ride
    '04 E46 330ci ZHP

This is a great section from the CFA material
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ahhhh good old CFA material. I seriously need to get started on the L2 material

My Ride
    2000 Honda Accord

I mentioned these a few times in the other thread but might as well make them official long term investments.

CBQ.to
    Claymore BRIC ETF
    42% Brazil
    40% China
    9.7% India
    3% Russia

Average P/E 7.1
    Average P/Book 1.01
    Yield 2.79

Major holdings in companies like Petrobras, Petro China, China Mobile, China Life Insurance, CNOOC, Baidu.com, etc.

QUA
    Quadra Mining
    Copper miner, they just announced they are buying out Centrinno copper.

P/E 5.3
    P/Book (very very low, reluctant to give one because of changes in copper prices)
    No Yield (arguably worst part)

They are not a low cost producer of copper, however their P/E is one of the lowest of the copper producers, they have yet to feel the full effects of breaking out copper prices. FM and IMT have already had their run ups. Plus they have enough cash on hand to last 1.5 years without doing anything and they have zero debt. I would argue that they are a prime acquisition target, and this is likely why the bought Centrennio through a share offering.

Page 1 of 53 1 2 11 ... LastLast