Quantcast
Satellite Dish at Condo - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Dish at Condo

Default Satellite Dish at Condo

i live in a Condo and was trying to install a satellite dish. The board didnt allow me because they have "no dish policey". i made it clear to my board that i want to install a satellite dish without drilling any holes. i will put it on a tripod at my patio but they said no i cant do that. to my understanding the dish is not allowed because board doesnt want owners to drill holes in the walls so to damage the common property. whereas tripod is totally a different thing. Can board make whatever rules they want to make and owners have to obey them regardless. Is there a way out of it. i know law quite a bit can take this issue to court on my on behalf. but dont want to go that far.

Does anyone has any experience with this situation? when i dont interfere with anyone's property and dont damage the common area how can board stop me doing that?
    what happens if let say i place a dish on my patio against the wishes of board? can they sue me or fine me or put a lean against my property in case i refuse to take it off?
    can i go to court if they dont allow me to do that?
    i am just new to Condo living and dont really know the rules. i know that patio comes under common area but still i have the right to use it in a reasonable way.
    i know there are quite knowledgeable people in this forum so please enlighten me.

Put the dish inside your house pointed out a window

All the answers depend on your bylaws.

I have some condos that stipulate what can and cant be put on the patio. Others dont. Some say that satellites on tripods are ok to a certain diameter. Read thru your bylaws and let us know what it says about patios. Then we can give you further advice.

Originally posted by Alterac
    +1, thats your only option. The condo association owns your balcony/patio.

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

Default Re: Satellite Dish at Condo

Originally posted by fraction
    i live in a Condo and was trying to install a satellite dish. The board didnt allow me because they have "no dish policey". i made it clear to my board that i want to install a satellite dish without drilling any holes. i will put it on a tripod at my patio but they said no i cant do that. to my understanding the dish is not allowed because board doesnt want owners to drill holes in the walls so to damage the common property. whereas tripod is totally a different thing. Can board make whatever rules they want to make and owners have to obey them regardless. Is there a way out of it. i know law quite a bit can take this issue to court on my on behalf. but dont want to go that far.

Does anyone has any experience with this situation? when i dont interfere with anyone's property and dont damage the common area how can board stop me doing that?
    what happens if let say i place a dish on my patio against the wishes of board? can they sue me or fine me or put a lean against my property in case i refuse to take it off?
    can i go to court if they dont allow me to do that?
    i am just new to Condo living and dont really know the rules. i know that patio comes under common area but still i have the right to use it in a reasonable way.
    i know there are quite knowledgeable people in this forum so please enlighten me.
    You can tell them the board now has a “no idiots policy” which would mean they would all be evicted.

The board should just have a rule that allows dishes pending installation approval. Drilling a hole in the wall and adding 2 coax plate connectors on each side would do no damage and would allow for future dish installations. Using a tripod would do no damage to the patio or deck.

The next question is, are you renting or is this your condo?

Originally posted by Alterac
    can't get a dish signal through glass

Originally posted by BigMass

can't get a dish signal through glass
    Sure you can. You just have to deal with diffraction.

Originally posted by dr_jared88

Sure you can. You just have to deal with diffraction.
    if he lives in a condo in Calgary chances are his windows are double pane and with some level of tint. Also depending on what the windows are made of, good luck getting any sort of signal ontop of the massive signal strength loss he'd get even if he did manage to find a signal.

Some condo boards are super strict. At my condo, they wont let you have a planter on the balcony but they will allow a satelite dish on a tripod.

Its all a part of condo living, follow the rules or move
    ---

I went through the same thing in my townhome. They asked me to take down my dish, which was installed beautifully, and out of sight.

I agreed to take it down, but asked that they reconsider the bylaw. I told them dish installations should be subject to approval, and installed properly to make sure there aren't leaks, or dishes falling of the roof during a violent windstorm (the two issues they seemed to be most concerned about). They mumbled something about it being expensive to amend bylaws, etc.

Anyways, end result, I bought a nice decorative planter from home depot, stood a fence post in the middle (reaching just over the top of the planeter), and filled it with cement.

The satellite sat attached to this on my patio for a few months, while the board tried to figure out a way to deal with it. Their next approach was that I wasn't allowed to have coax cable entering from outside the unit through my vents.

My solution for that was to buy 'flat coax' and run it under my patio door. Nothing they could do about that.
    I used to have a travel thread on Beyond. I used to be somebody.

My Ride
    G35

Originally posted by cmyden
    I went through the same thing in my townhome. They asked me to take down my dish, which was installed beautifully, and out of sight.

I agreed to take it down, but asked that they reconsider the bylaw. I told them dish installations should be subject to approval, and installed properly to make sure there aren't leaks, or dishes falling of the roof during a violent windstorm (the two issues they seemed to be most concerned about). They mumbled something about it being expensive to amend bylaws, etc.

Anyways, end result, I bought a nice decorative planter from home depot, stood a fence post in the middle (reaching just over the top of the planeter), and filled it with cement.

The satellite sat attached to this on my patio for a few months, while the board tried to figure out a way to deal with it. Their next approach was that I wasn't allowed to have coax cable entering from outside the unit through my vents.

My solution for that was to buy 'flat coax' and run it under my patio door. Nothing they could do about that.
    lol good job.

i own this condo no renting. i dont think there is anything specific in by laws not to have dish installed on tirpod. yes it states no satellite dish installation.
    my question was if i put it on tripod at my patio. what board can do about it. can they fine me for that. but i can fight it in the court so and so. but i think thats a long process and may be board like to avoid that.
    when i try to talk to management company noone even talks to me. they ask me to send them e-mail and then they dont reply to my mails for days. i have to call them and ask them about my e-mails. quite irritating though. anyways once will be out of condo never in my life want to come back to such tasteless living.
    i am actully more upset with condo board then installing a dish thats why i am thinking i will just install it and see what happens. will take this fight to the end because board didnt give me any reason all they are saying oh no its not allowed. no discussion about tripod or anything like that. so i m quite frustrated.

If your bylaws do not state what can or cannot be place on your balcony, place the tripod up. If the wording in the bylaws is "installation," then place it on your patio, write them a letter quoting the bylaw and state that it will be placed on the patio.

Condo boards are required to respond to written requests within 10 days of receiving one. I would write them a letter quoting the bylaw and tell them that it will be on a tripod on the balcony. If they do not like it, they can write you back within 10 days of receiving it and quote the section that says you cannot do it.

As far as what can be done if they dont like it, most is monetary sanctions. So they have to mail you a letter quoting what bylaw you are violating and allow you 10 days to remove it. If you dont, they fine you every month plus 18% interest. (It should be 18%, it may be less depending on your boards knowledge).

From there they place a caveat against your home and you are responsible for all costs associated with that. If you STILL dont pay and they want to hassle you, they can take you to court.

The court process takes a LONG time. But it can happen.

i know for my condo they do not allow dishes, not just cuz of the mounting, but also to keep a certain look to the condo.
    there do not allow crazy colours for drapes, and you are not allowed to use your balcony as storage for bikes and such.

I think as long as you're not drilling holes into anything that is property of the condo, there's not much they can do. If you happen to be 'storing' your dish on the balcony, that's no different than someone who has their bike sitting out there.

From what I understand balconies are not considered 'common' areas, it's your own personal space, and unless your bylaws having something specific about not being able to store certain items on your balcony (which may be the case)

The bottom line is though, you need to read through your bylaws and see exactly what it says.
    I used to have a travel thread on Beyond. I used to be somebody.

Patios are generally considered "Exclusive Use Common Property." Which means that yes, it is yours and only yours to use. But you are still required to follow any guidelines that there may be for it.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Which condo if you don't mind me asking?
    I just moved into Panarama a while ago and they laws are pretty specific about mounting dishes is a no-no, but mounting on a tri-pod is OK and they are looking to amend the mounting rules.

here is the excerpt from by-laws of my condominimum board. nowhere it stays that satellite dish cannot be placed on a tripod at patio. any comments?

"No television or mobile telephone or radio antenna, tower or similar structure or appurtenances thereto or satellite dish shall be erected on or fastened to any building, re-division unit, the Managed Property or the common property by any owner without prior written consent of the board which consent may be withheld or, if given, withdrawn on reasonable notice. The Board shall always have the final say at to the installation and location of the satellite dish. The installation and removal of any satellite dish is to be carried out by a qualified person, approved by the Board, who must provide the Board with proof of his or her qualifications, as well as appropriate insurance coverage. Upon removal of the satellite dish, the Board will arrange for an inspection with the cost of inspection and any resulting repairs being the sole responsibility of the owner. The board may construct any common television antenna, dish or cable system which it believes best serves the interests of the owners."

No ... satellite dish shall be erected on or fastened to any building, re-division unit, the Managed Property or the common property.
    I think that says it there. You can't erect or fasten without approval. Erect means tripod to me. And the balcony is considered common property so yea, no satellite.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Our condo allows satellites on the roof top, since all condo's were wired to have satellites if desired.

Satellites on patios is an eye sore and very ghetto, reason why condo boards refuse it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast