Quantcast
Dine Out Calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Dine Out Calgary

Default Dine Out Calgary

Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet, but then again I didn't even know about it until Monday.

http://www.downtowncalgary.com/dineoutcalgary

Got a table for escobar tomorrow, originally wanted to go to Bistro 2210 but they were all booked up when I called.

My Ride
    Escape Limited

We have reservations at Vero Bistro for lunch tomorrow. Thought the menu looked good and well priced at only $15.

Originally posted by yimma
    We have reservations at Vero Bistro for lunch tomorrow. Thought the menu looked good and well priced at only $15.
    I really like Vero, their food has a definite asian fusion into it and for $15 it's a steal IMO

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I did Bistro 2210 for dinner, it was pretty good.

Doing Bellgo & River Cafe this weekend.

Had dinner at Bistro 2210 - nice spot. Appy was good (chicken croquette), main was ok (lobster stuffed sole), dessert was good (crepes). $35. Added $48 for wine. I left feeling underwhelmed, even though $35 is considerably less than you'd normally pay here.

Just got back from lunch at Vero - $15 for 3 courses: shrimp ball appy was nice, Seafood risotto was really good (but smaller portion, it is lunch though) and tiramisu for dessert - which was really good. The exec chef came to our table and mentioned that they are running dining week specials all March long, changing their menu weekly. Lunches are $15, dinner is $35. Tasty place, cool vibe.

Dineout Calgary is a great reason to try a lot of 'premium' restaurants around town without dropping $100pp to for three courses. Menus are limited, but find the ones you want to try. Reservations are probably needed at most place, so call ahead!

I was going to go on a tirade about how much 'bullshit' food there is in town, but i'll save it for another time.

I'd have to say I was not impressed by the food at Escoba at all.
    The salad was fine, balanced but nothing to write home about.
    The entree I chose was chorizo and chicken over fettuccine, the sauce lacked flavor and the chicken was in small little lumps that felt like it doesn't belong in the dish. The date had a feta and vegetable stuffed cannelloni, she said nothing bad about the dish, but nothing good either.
    Dessert were three dark chocolate truffles which were fine if the serving was only one instead. By the second my date and I both stopped eating as it was wayyyyy too sweet.

Overall the food was not spectacular but I can't even say they were good. Perhaps my expectations were too high for this restaurant after reading the hearing a lot of positive reviews but unless I had to I would not go back again.