Quantcast
The Story of Redlyne_mr2: 1999 - Present - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Story of Redlyne_mr2: 1999 - Present

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Default The Story of Redlyne_mr2: 1999 - Present

It all began on a warms summers night in 1999, I took delivery of my 1991 Toyota mr2 turbo with 49K original kms, purchase from the first owner, completely stock. Shortly there after I picked up some rims, had the side mouldings painted, got jdm clear corners and solid side markers. Oh yah... I was the boss!

Earliest known picture of the car.

The following summer the s2000 was was released which meant I had to up my game for the street races. I purchased some tein springs, tokico struts, BOV, Tom's side with Bomex front, hks exhaust and a boost controller.

Many will remember this trailer trash pic.

Over the winter I built up the engine and the transmission however a disastrous incident on May 26th 2001 brought the mr2's street racing days to a hault and thus began a 6 year restoration project. Over the 6 years all bushings were replaced with urethane ones, all control arms were removed, cleaned and powder coated, and I had the chassis re-enforced to make it stiffer.

In the winter of 2006/2007 the car was brought up to Calgary and was given to Dan and Dave at Screamin' paintworks. It was totally taken apart and the shell was painted in BMW Imola red.

While at Screamin I had as many body parts replace with carbon fiber, this included the hood, headlight covers, trunk, spoiler, and windshield cowl. New weather stripping along with all new oem toyota fittings were installed. A brand new oem windshield was also put in. An authentic Greddy Gracer bodykit along with Bomex power type 1 mirros were also installed. MR2 fans will also notice the 94+ 1 piece spoiler conversion.

Spring of 2007 I installed a massive collection of performance parts that I had accumulated over the 6 year period, everything from coilovers, to roll cage, to sway bars and random braces, to rims, to brakes, engine parts and turbo kit.

Many of the items I installed myself with the help of a good buddy, the rest was sent up to Project Omega in Edmonton for final installation.

I received the car back just in time for summer in 07

Having chosen inproper offsets and widths for my te37s I sold those and bought a set of rare Advan RG1s.

The car then attended it's first ever Beyond cruise, as you may have noticed the carbon front diffuser is missing in this pic. Shortly before the cruise I hit a huge pothole totally destroying the lip and carbon diffuser, this pic shows the brand new lip however the diffusers would take several months to arrive from Japan.

The car was given a new plate.

Having driven the car fairly hard in the summer of 07 and making the stupid mistake of running to much boost with not enough fuel I blew the original gen2 3sgte. A gen3 3sgte was purchased from Speedtech and the car was once again brought up to Project Omega in Edmonton where the swap would be completed.

More engine work was done to the car over the winter of 2007/2008, I was so happy with the update gen3 engine and the turbo kit, the car was now reliable and fast.

The car would go on to win Best Toyota at DTP2008 and get it's first photoshoot with Mbolt.

As the summer of 2008 progressed I finished off most of the interior as well as the stereo which I had moved into the glovebox to make room for my boost controller, turbo timer and powerfc, notice the racepak digital dash as well.

As the summer of 08 neared to an end I considered the car pretty much complete.

Little did I know the modbug would bite me again in the winter of 08/09.......
    Last edited by Redlyne_mr2; 03-16-2009 at 11:09 AM.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

As summer 09 approaches I have begun to install some of the new parts for the car.

After waiting 2 long months my carbon engine access panels finally arrived, they will of course be painted to match the rest of the car. I now have 7 carbon body parts on the vehicle.

The interior has pretty much remained the same, I think I'm going to get a takata harness for the passenger side as well.

Speedtech racing managed to find me a set of these just recently, thanks guys!

Comparing the old project mu 97 oem calipers and rotors to the new setup

Just a random shot of the Frunk, time for a new battery, the little racing one I had didnt last long. Peep the carbon JIC strut bar and madpsi carbon windshield cowl.

Shot of the painted carbon hood with top secret hood pins. (new headlight covers and hood on order to cure the fitment issues the car had)

Thanks to 962 kid the brake installation went down flawlessly. As some of you might notice I also have new coilovers for the car. Apexi circuit N1 coilovers with fully adjustable camber plates and pillowball mounts.. cant wait!

Being the car loser that I am I spent months reading about offsets, widths etc on mr2s and other cars. I ordered these rims from Speedtech and about 1/2 year later they arrived. Check out the flusshhhhhhh

The most recent pic of the car... sorry rim type will stay a secret until the summer of 09 so stay tuned!!
    Last edited by Redlyne_mr2; 03-16-2009 at 01:15 AM.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    NC1

Awesome!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

car is AMAZING man! nice work

My Ride
    TDi

\

so much money
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Had no idea so much work had gone into your MR2! Really a one of a kind car.

If that ain't the best MR2 in Calgary then I'll be damned.

My Ride
    is in the works.

amazing to see all the time and effort put into the car, 10yrs strong

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Wow ya I never realised it was a 6 year project haha. So nice though, I wonder what rims you have on there now....

My Ride
    charger R/T w R&T, soon 2010 camaro

nice mr2! clean and sexy! wish i had the time and money. would you ever sell it? i hope not. keep it in your garage for ever lol

My Ride
    coupé

Si, a few more months and you will find out

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

Looks good Ryan. Lots of hard work went into your whip to make it what it is today.

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

Photos of the build actually exist!

Thanks for bringing this one out Redlyne.

Are going to see this thing at the track for a couple 1/4 mile passes and maybe a Speedtech track day?

That's gotta be one of the longest builds in beyond history. IMO that generation MR2 is one of the select few cars that are actually worth modding.

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Boooo I hate this thing lol, looks hot, I cant believe you already put the brakes on, didnt I just drop these off to you late friday night? Thats where you were saturday night ditcher! lol

Looks tight my friend

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    Axis powers

details on what happened to it originally?
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    TYPE L

Nice build !

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Absolutely beautiful
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Beautiful car. It's awesome that you have loved that car for so long, and it translates into a beautiful car

I still remember cruising in it with Ryan in Red Deer in '99 and '00. Those Redlyne stickers bringing back some good memories. One of my friend in town still have those stickers on his windows.
    Option Import Auto & Tire
    4674 Macleod Trail SW
    287 - 8332
    www.option-import.com
    Comptech & Amsoil Dealer

I am glad the brake fit the wheel I was alittle worry haha

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast