Quantcast
Information Technology diploma @ SAIT - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Information Technology diploma @ SAIT

Well yeah, if you're looking to go into management or the business side then obviously the BA is a good choice, but if you're in it for tech work then the BA is totally unnecessary. It's misleading to suggest that everybody take the BA.

I don't disagree that personality and work ethic are significant factors though, after you get some experience under your belt they'll almost always be bigger factors than your education.

I'd only agree with part of that. HR policies are HR policies. A two year cert will not pass the filter for popular positions. The environment out there is completely different then before the recession.
    Last edited by LOLzilla; 01-15-2013 at 03:56 PM.

The MRU BCIS program is another option if you want to go the management route down the road. SAIT students come out ahead in the technical skills. MRU BCIS students have a better understanding have business though.

Originally posted by LOLzilla
    I'd only agree with part of that. HR policies are HR policies. A two year cert will not pass the filter for popular positions. The environment out there is completely different then before the recession.
    "Two year cert" isn't the best terminology. A two year diploma from a recognized post secondary school is much more than a cert. A cert is an exam or a few exams. Diplomas are rigorous coursework, exams, labs, projects. Obviously a 4 year program will be much more worthwhile than a 2 however. Yet in either case you want to supplement these with industry certifications

My Ride
    Model S

One commonly overlooked perk of a 4 year degree: It's required in order to get most types of work visas in the US.

That's pretty much the only "absolute" (and it's not actually, there are sometimes ways around it, but often you'll be screwed with no options) when it comes to "needing" a degree in IT.

You can ignore anyone who says it's absolutely required for certain jobs. The only people who say that are people who got it and don't have a lot of experience or are delusional. That is never the case, not even when it says so in the job postings. If you don't have other credibility, you might have to get creative.

after you get some experience under your belt they'll almost always be bigger factors than your education.
    This. No one gives a shit about your education after you have a few years of experience. From that point on, all that matters is what you've proven you can do, and who can vouch for you. Guess how many recruiters are gonna drop a resume on the floor if the candidate has 4 years of IT experience at Google but no degree? Zero. They'll be on you like flies on shit.

Originally posted by cgyITguy

"Two year cert" isn't the best terminology. A two year diploma from a recognized post secondary school is much more than a cert. A cert is an exam or a few exams. Diplomas are rigorous coursework, exams, labs, projects. Obviously a 4 year program will be much more worthwhile than a 2 however. Yet in either case you want to supplement these with industry certifications
    You don't have to tell me about it. I took NNT at SAIT. I completely agree with what you've said.

Originally posted by googe
    One commonly overlooked perk of a 4 year degree: It's required in order to get most types of work visas in the US.

That's pretty much the only "absolute" (and it's not actually, there are sometimes ways around it, but often you'll be screwed with no options) when it comes to "needing" a degree in IT.

You can ignore anyone who says it's absolutely required for certain jobs. The only people who say that are people who got it and don't have a lot of experience or are delusional. That is never the case, not even when it says so in the job postings. If you don't have other credibility, you might have to get creative.

This. No one gives a shit about your education after you have a few years of experience. From that point on, all that matters is what you've proven you can do, and who can vouch for you. Guess how many recruiters are gonna drop a resume on the floor if the candidate has 4 years of IT experience at Google but no degree? Zero. They'll be on you like flies on shit.
    I forgot all about the requirements for conducting work in the States. This is something to take into consideration if folks want to get into consulting. People are welcome to ignore my advice and prefer if they would (allows me to keep the edge). I should clarify though, my advice is only for those that are just graduating or are fairly new to industry. Generally speaking if you are in the age zone of 20-30 your schooling will be questioned in an interview. If you are a silver beard and have 3 million years of experience obviously you'll win in the resume show down.

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by LOLzilla

Generally speaking if you are in the age zone of 20-30 your schooling will be questioned in an interview.
    Nope, more like age zone of 20-22, if that. Having it come up is the exception, not the norm.

I'm at the point where I'm considering taking my education off my resume altogether because that space would be better filled with work experience, and I'm at a whopping 4 years in industry :P

I agree with what you have all said in regards to experience being so key.

However, I believe if you want to get into management they do still look at your education. A 4 year degree makes the difference when it comes to management. I have seen far too many co-workers going back to school after years of technical experience to move up the management chain.

As far as the technical side, work experience will always hold more weight.

My Ride
    1.8T

Just finished my 1st year of the IT program, Networks major. The program has been a blast so far in terms of the learning curve and interests. The hands-on labs are great and I hope to acquire my CCNA this summer.

I must say though, Richard Fischer is one arrogant teacher haha.
    1994 Acura Integra LS (write off)
    1995 Acura Integra GSR (sold)
    1999 Honda Civic SIR (sold)
    1999 Volkswagen Passat 1.8t (DD)

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Originally posted by RNB11
    Just finished my 1st year of the IT program, Networks major. The program has been a blast so far in terms of the learning curve and interests. The hands-on labs are great and I hope to acquire my CCNA this summer.

At least Randy Kaltenbach is long gone I think -- sounds like Dick Fischer took his place as resident a-hole instructor?
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride
    ep3

Originally posted by 1barA4

At least Randy Kaltenbach is long gone I think -- sounds like Dick Fischer took his place as resident a-hole instructor?
    Is he? I saw him in the train downtown a couple weeks ago.

A lot of people have bad first impressions on Randy, he may be a dick, but he's extremely knowledgeable and he knows his shit. I'm actually glad I was one of his students cause I learned a lot and applied all the skills that he taught me in the workplace.

My Ride
    rally pig

no one in my and GQBalla's batch liked him, i think all of us gave him a bad review and dont understand how he's still teaching there.
    mr will was our fav and Connie too.

Originally posted by taemo

no one in my and GQBalla's batch liked him, i think all of us gave him a bad review and dont understand how he's still teaching there.
    mr will was our fav and Connie too.
    I'm still surprised he's working there as well. A bunch of us from all network sections last year gave him a bad review. Doug and Connie was my fav.

That he is, was super happy when he went on leave during my last semester. Didn't have him for wireless, although the temp instructor Inder wasn't that good either. \

+1 for Doug and Connie.

Willy Hu for CEO of Cisco :P

Originally posted by Mibz
    Willy Hu for CEO of Cisco :P
    No kidding. I remember when I had him for 1 semester.. he was attaining a PHD in networking or so he says.

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

What's the range of salary after getting your CCNA/CCNP certification?

$0 - $1 Gorillion

Your certs don't dictate your pay, it's the job you do. I wrote my CCNP almost immediately after graduating but I still didn't have any experience so I was still making entry-level wages. Nobody was going to pay me intermediate wages with 8 months experience. Having the CCNP just made it easier to apply for higher level jobs earlier on.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast