Quantcast
high paying summer job (student or not a student) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: high paying summer job (student or not a student)

Default high paying summer job (student or not a student)

i am having a dilemma with getting a full time job, high paying, labor intensive this summer.

not sure if i am going to get hired if i am a student.. alot of employers (i've been told by previous employers) think students are lazy and dont work very hard.

what do you guys think? should i include it on my resume or is it a no go.

i have a couple years related experience of labour, so i am pretty good in that regard. was an indentured electrician, have worked construction, laborer etc.

what do you guys think?

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Are you seriously not contemplating your education on your resume?
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    Acura Integra

I would leave in that you are a student, but outline your work experience above it so that becomes the main focus of your resume.

On your cover letter, you would want to note your experience and how that sets you apart from "typical" students.

Originally posted by Eleanor
    Are you seriously not contemplating your education on your resume?
    for positions such as laborer, construction, etc................yes. like i said i've felt it has sometimes worked against me. i know for a fact i wouldn't of got my job as an electrician if i told them i was going to go to school after a year, they thought i was going to be a tradesman and go to school so i did so, and then pretty much quit after a year after making a ton of dough.

but yeah.....i am looking for high paying construction jobs.

Originally posted by Schwa
    I would leave in that you are a student, but outline your work experience above it so that becomes the main focus of your resume.

On your cover letter, you would want to note your experience and how that sets you apart from "typical" students.
    good idea....i think i am going to cater my resume differently for each job i apply for. got to be smarter, back when calgary was booming i could hand in my resume and get a call back or cold call them a day later and BOOOM i have a job. this market should be much tougher IMO.

My Ride
    Acura Integra

I wouldn't touch the resume too much but focus on the CL. If you feel your experience is more important that school (and most times it is for this kind of work) then leave it at that, but make sure you customize the cover letter.

I run a small business and its really easy to tell who put in effort and who didn't. Some blokes forget to even change the name of the company they are applying to.

Bonus points for pdf also.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

when i was in labour the whole student thing went 2 ways, first the forman seemed not to like us because, well he didnt even make it to high school, but on the other hand the boss liked us because we were not some losers that would disappear for a few days on some crazy drug bender.

^^totally some of the guys I worked with when laboring for a masonry company would go off on 1-3 day drug/drinking benders. Usually after every payday or pay advance they got hahaha

I also agree that construction workers frown on students for the above said reasons. I have 2 resumes made up one that goes into detail about my post secondary education(even tho I have yet to find a career 2 years after graduation) and one that is more simplified and goes into some of the construction experience I have had.
    Last edited by TheCheff; 03-23-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Originally posted by TheCheff
    ^^totally some of the guys I worked with when laboring for a masonry company would go off on 1-3 day drug/drinking benders. Usually after every payday or pay advance they got hahaha

I also agree that construction workers frown on students for the above said reasons. I have 2 resumes made up one that goes into detail about my post secondary education(even tho I have yet to find a career 2 years after graduation) and one that is more simplified and goes into some of the construction experience I have had.
    yep, i guess it comes down to being lucky... not sure but it looks like i'll have to cater moreso then usual. oh well,

I ALWAYS include education, at least post-secondary. I note to them that I am enrolled at U of C.

Construction alone this summer is hard to get a job for. I won't be able to get rehired with the company I normally work for in the summer because of the economy. Low Economy = No New Projects... Except for that ridiculously priced over pass they are starting....

Why are you looking for labor? Think big man.

shoemaker drywall supplies!

try IKO...?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Just an fyi. I called shoemaker and they are not hiring this summer

My Ride
    greenwheels.nl

Originally posted by TheCheff

Judging by most of the construction workers I've talked to, they tend to think that they're the smartest people in the universe and that a university education makes you stupid because one engineer one time told them to do something that was different from how they do it. One contractor told me he was going to buy his own stamp and stamp his own plans...... uber fail!!!