Quantcast
Calgarians just don't give a shit, and it's sad.... - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgarians just don't give a shit, and it's sad....

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by Canmorite
    This whole camera shit is simply happening one step at a time, who knows where it will go from here.
    Come and talk to me when it enters the private domain. Until then, I could care less how many cameras they put up in public locations.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by kevie88

I didn't say that, and I'm not going to start calling people idiots either.

What I'm saying is, we are on a slippery slope here. Invasion of privacy is just around the corner, and it's time to wake up to the fact. Mark my words, it's coming, and I believe it will be here in less than 15 years.
    I agree. It's coming and the worst part is that few see it coming.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Eleanor
    Come and talk to me when it enters the private domain. Until then, I could care less how many cameras they put up in public locations.
    Ask yourself what happens when technology starts to do the policing and where it can go from there. Public or private you're removing human interaction.

Originally posted by heavyD

Ask yourself what happens when technology starts to do the policing and where it can go from there. Public or private you're removing human interaction.
    I actually like talking to cops when they pull me over... least the cool ones, the ones that just walk up screaming at me get snubbed pretty quick.

4/4 victory for me in the last 2 years for being pulled over, 3 nice cops, 1 bitche - and none of them gave me a ticket even though I was an asshole to the screaming one (going 150 on an 80... I was merging and I didn't even hit 90 got the whole "YOU'RE LUCKY SOMEBODY JUST GOT MURDERED" as he stormed back to his cruiser... checked the newspaper, no murders, not even a stabbing or shooting that night lol).
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Sounds like the Beyond.ca tinfoil hat society is going to be initiating a few members soon

Seriously though, like I said, until cameras start infiltrating private locations or machines become self-aware, I don't really care

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Cameras don't prevent crime. At most they disperse it.

So now instead of speeding through the light. Someone will slow down - great - then speed through the next 20 intersections. So what have we learned? How to dodge the camera.

So whats next? Cameras at every single intersection in the city? GPS governed cars?

What a life..
    Last edited by NickGT; 03-24-2009 at 12:53 PM.

"She takes premium dude! PREMIUM!!! DUDE!!!!"

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Originally posted by 403Gemini

I actually like talking to cops when they pull me over... least the cool ones, the ones that just walk up screaming at me get snubbed pretty quick.

4/4 victory for me in the last 2 years for being pulled over, 3 nice cops, 1 bitche - and none of them gave me a ticket even though I was an asshole to the screaming one (going 150 on an 80... I was merging and I didn't even hit 90 got the whole "YOU'RE LUCKY SOMEBODY JUST GOT MURDERED" as he stormed back to his cruiser... checked the newspaper, no murders, not even a stabbing or shooting that night lol).

Absolutely.. even if I have an officer lose it on me (only ever happened once) I'll go away having learned something. I get about a 10% actual ticket to pulled over ratio.

The only photo tickets I've ever had have been thrown out in court anyway (other vehicles too close). If I were to get a photoradar ticket that stuck, (not likely) I'll consider it a speeding tax.

However:

We'll revisit this thread in a few years when the first CCTV cameras are installed around the city and in neighborhoods, and I'll say I told you so. I'm sure they'll have a good reason for it, it'll make us safe from terrorism or something.
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

I actually prefer the notion of these cameras freeing up salary budget for traffic patrol ops that could go toward violent crime ops.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

We'll revisit this thread in a few years when the first CCTV cameras are installed around the city and in neighborhoods, and I'll say I told you so. I'm sure they'll have a good reason for it, it'll make us safe from terrorism or something.
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...s-calgary.html

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

I thought I remembered reading that.. thanks for the link.

I told you so!

So the neighborhood cameras shouldn't be far behind.. I need some new window blinds I guess. Probably won't stop infrared cameras from coming out after that..
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

Originally posted by Heff
    I actually prefer the notion of these cameras freeing up salary budget for traffic patrol ops that could go toward violent crime ops.

this is a good point...i guess
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Meh, still public.

I'm not dealing drugs at the crack Mac's, they can film me grabbing a sub as much as they want to

Meh, still public.

I'm not dealing drugs at the crack Mac's, they can film me grabbing a sub as much as they want to
    And if the 'privacy invading public space cameras' prevent Eleanor (or anyone) from becoming a victim of violent crime, or lead to the conviction of a perpetrator of same, they are worthwhile, IMHO.

My Ride
    fg2

Meh, still public.

and maybe your ok with that. but im sure as hell not.

personally i dont care if im doing something illegal or not. i dont want the police, or anyone else for the matter, watching my every move. and just because im in a public place doesnt make it ok.

would you be comfortable if everytime you left your house someone in all black clothes and a ski mask followed you around watching you and taking pictures of your every move?

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by dansmith11
    would you be comfortable if everytime you left your house someone in all black clothes and a ski mask followed you around watching you and taking pictures of your every move?
    No, I'd make them wear a clown suit.

Seriously though, the cops aren't watching your every move. Contrary to popular belief, the government isn't installing these cameras to invade your privacy. People complain all day that the police/government doesn't do enough to protect us and then they try and do something and it's an invasion of privacy. What do you suggest police do instead? An officer at every corner?

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

And if the 'privacy invading public space cameras' prevent Eleanor (or anyone) from becoming a victim of violent crime, or lead to the conviction of a perpetrator of same, they are worthwhile, IMHO.
    They won't. Lets say Eleanor mouths off said drug dealer on Stephen Ave for wanting to sell his wife crack. (not saying he would, he's probably a nice guy)

Eleanor walks down Stephen Ave, turns right onto 4th street. No more Camera protection. Eleanor gets pulled into an alley and robbed and beaten (or worse).

How did the cameras help in this ( admittedly purely hypothetical) situation?
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

You are crazy if you think that the money will go into violent crime ops. It will go to funding of more cameras as cameras make money. Violent crime ops don't make money. This is all about money in the end which is the real crime.

My Ride
    fg2

No, I'd make them wear a clown suit.

Seriously though, the cops aren't watching your every move. Contrary to popular belief, the government isn't installing these cameras to invade your privacy. People complain all day that the police/government doesn't do enough to protect us and then they try and do something and it's an invasion of privacy. What do you suggest police do instead? An officer at every corner?
    not YET they arent. thats the whole point. its a slippery slope. first speed on green cameras are ok, then cameras on certain public corners, then cameras on every corner, then you have a flying camera drone following you around tracking your movements and reporting anything out of the ordinary or illegal you do. but hey, as long as your in public space its ok with you right?

that could easily be doable in the next 15 years with all the advances in technology. its not whats happening right this minute thats scary, its the fact that as time goes on, we allow more and more of it to happen, and next thing you know your freedoms really are taken away. but as long as its in the name of safety right?

shit just look south of the border, they are already losing their freedoms in the name of safety and security. you can be arrested and held without evidence or trial anytime the government wants as long they call you a terrorist first.. but hey , its in the name of safety! and that IS happening right now. if that is already happening, why do you think its such a stretch for the government to start watching your each and every move?

They won't. Lets say Eleanor mouths off said drug dealer on Stephen Ave for wanting to sell his wife crack. (not saying he would, he's probably a nice guy)

Eleanor walks down Stephen Ave, turns right onto 4th street. No more Camera protection. Eleanor gets pulled into an alley and robbed and beaten (or worse).

How did the cameras help in this ( admittedly purely hypothetical) situation?
    Well done.
    You have managed to manufacture a false red-herring demonstrating a scenario in which those specific cameras won't be helpful.

It does not aid your case.

And I believe, Eleanor is a female.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast