Quantcast
Condo Master key question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Condo Master key question

Default Condo Master key question

nm
    Last edited by e36bmw///; 03-05-2018 at 09:49 AM.

If you own the unit, then no. They should not have a key. If you rent, then that is a different story.

Same as always though, there are some properties that have bylaws that state a member of the board must have a key. However, it is considered an invasion of privacy.

Most bylaws have clauses that state you must let the board in within 24 hrs notice, or if it is an emergency situation that they may break down the door to get in.

I would change the lock once you read the bylaws though.

nm

if you own the unit you should have a current copy of the bylaws, or at least know where to get it.

nm

My Ride
    4x4

Pretty much - there's always a master key for condo's. You'd be rather upset if your upstairs neighbours were away on holidays - left the patio door open, froze the pipes and were waiting for weeks for their return - so the water could be shut off...

However there's usually different groupings of master keys - the common areas (ie keys to electrical rooms garbage rooms etc and all those hallway service doors) are relatively easily found... But there's usually only one true master key - and it's usually kept in the safe at the management companies office... Not something your condo manager would have on their keychain...

nm

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Change your deadbolt to a keypad.

So, the bylaws should be in all the paperwork that you have for your place. If you do not have it, you can go to the registry and get a copy off of your land title. Its super easy.

Now, for my personal rant on this one.

There are some bylaws that state that the board must have a key to the unit. I have a property in the U.S. that has this clause. The unit that I am talking about is fully furnished, used once every 6 weeks and is used by some of my female staff. Well, I was not comfortable with them having access to a mostly empty unit with women in it. So I had the locks changed.

I then get a letter while the unit was vacant, saying that we were required to supply them with a key for the unit for emergency reasons. Well, I called the president of the board and asked why they would have checked the unit. She stated that she was going to go in the unit and realized her key didnt work. So, I asked her why? She said... in her words..... "I wanted to put a flyer on the kitchen island for you."

Well fuck me!! There is no way. I lost it on this bitch. I cursed her out etc etc and explained that the only reason she would be allowed to enter the unit without me or a representative there, would be if it were an emergency. Putting a flyer on the counter is certainly not an emergency. Since I am not there all the time, the board was given a list of contacts in the area that have a key as well as my contact information. I told the woman that I will not be supplying her with a key and she will be hearing from one of my lawyers if I find that she changed the lock upon my return.

/end rant

The bylaws of every condo complex state that you have to allow the board access within 24 hrs notice whether you like it or not. It also states that that if there is an emergency, they have the right to enter the unit without notice. This can be via locksmith, firefighter, police etc.

There is NO reason for them to have a key for your property.

My Ride
    04 Skyline 350GT TT

Most properties will have a master key to all suites for construction use.
    Once you have taken ownership you may at any time change your own lock

544 wrhp 555 ft/lbs torque @ 15psi

Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
    Most properties will have a master key to all suites for construction use.
    Several. And if you know where to go, you can get copies made.

If by-laws allow, change your locks. Trust me on this one.

nm
    Last edited by e36bmw///; 03-05-2018 at 09:50 AM.

I would just change the locks. Its easier than having to check your imac everyday, and that way you can be 100% sure.

Originally posted by Antonito

Several. And if you know where to go, you can get copies made.

If by-laws allow, change your locks. Trust me on this one.
    This...... I was one of the first units to be occupied in my building after construction and for shits and giggles I thought I would try my key in some of the other units that were done but not yet occupied and out of the 5 I tried my key opened 2 of them. All the locks in the building were made by the same company and I assume whoever keyed them used only a few different combos. I promptly had a locksmith come in and replace all my deadbolts. Most builder deadbolts are crap to boot, my locksmith was showing my all these plastic/nylon parts that were used in them and I was shocked.

nm

nm

Default possible option

First let me preface this by I know nothing of condo regulations

Here is possible solution that would keep you within codo bylaws and protect your property from unauthorised entry.

1) Change the lock so that it is not usable from the master key (I recomend Medeco or Abloy).
    2) Get an alarm system with monitoring (usefull anyways if you are out of the condo for long periods)
    3) Ask the allarm company to record all usage
    4) Tell them to realarm the premises within x amount of hours if certain codes (you and any friends you provide with codes) if the allarm is not allready reactivated. This prevents the manger from saying they forgot to reallarm the premises.
    5) provide those required by bylaws with a key and unique code to them
    6) inform those you required to have a key that you expect to be notified if your premises is accessed and for what reason within x days and that you will prosecute any illegal access
    7) if there is illegal accesss procecute

Oh and would be a good idea to get a nany cam (two if reuired by law to have signage that premises are monitored) and if required by law, have signage that the premises are protected by video and audio surveilance

Just go buy a lock that looks the same at home depot, and change it.. It takes 10 minutes.

Originally posted by e36bmw///
    oh and how much does this service cost?
    I think it was around 150-200 for two new medeco deadbolts and I had 4 extra keys made. Took about 30 min all in. If your actual door handle has a lock that will add to the cost as well but you can probably keep the door handle and just get it re-keyed to your deadbolt, doorhandle locks are pretty usless anyways it's the deadbolt that is gonna offer the most protection.

My Ride
    POS

Originally posted by dannie
    She stated that she was going to go in the unit and realized her key didnt work. So, I asked her why? She said... in her words..... "I wanted to put a flyer on the kitchen island for you."
    I was at a buddies apartment in Medicine hat and this exact thing happened when we went out and came back a few hours later, and there was a few flyers sitting on the counter. I thought it was quite strange.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast