The Official 2009 Australian Grand Prix Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2009 Australian Grand Prix Thread

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default The Official 2009 Australian Grand Prix Thread

Australian Grand Prix Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit

Laps: 58
    Circuit length: 5.303 kilometre (3.295 mi)
    Race length: 307.574 km (191.110 mi)
    2008 Winner: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren-Mercedes - 1h 34m 50.616s (194.577 km/h)
    2008 Pole Sitter: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren-Mercedes - 1:26.714
    2008 Fastest Lap: Heikki Kovalainen - McLaren-Mercedes - 1:27.418

TV Schedule (Mountain Time)
    Free Practice 2 - March 26 11:30pm (Speed)
    Qualifying - March 28 12:00am (Speed, TSN)
    Pre-Race - March 28 11:30pm (Speed)
    Race - March 29 12:00am (Speed, TSN)

After 5 long months of winter testing, Formula One is back! 2009 brings a huge number of rule changes for the cars (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/251894/re...9-regulations/), and with the new rules, it looks like there's going to be a huge shift in performance of the teams. Top teams such as McLaren is expected to struggle as a backmarker, and teams that barely made it on the field, Honda, now Brawn GP, topped the timesheets of almost every session they participated in. Every team started with a blank sheet of paper, with their own interpretation of the rules, which made performance completely unpredictable.

As with every Formula 1 season, this weekend brings a nice dose of controversy. 3 teams, Brawn GP, Toyota, and Williams are expected to be protested by the remaining 7 teams. These 3 teams used a loophole in the regulations to build a diffuser extension using the space from the crash structure, thus increasing the amount of exiting airflow, creating more downforce. It is said that there's a 10% overall downforce improvement from this loophole alone, good for 0.5s per lap. Most likely, the 3 teams will race under appeal, which means we won't know the official results until months after the weekend is over.

There's also rumors that one of the teams will be protesting Ferrari on their KERS system. Apparently, it's retribution for the diffuser protest, and is more political than technical. We'll know more tomorrow morning.

Defending Champion Lewis Hamilton will have a tough road ahead of him this weekend. It is said that the McLaren is suffering from a lack of downforce... as much as 20% and over a second a lap slower than the top group. McLaren has made in various press release statements that they expect to be eliminated from the first qualifying session, which means they will not qualify better than 16th. This is a huge blow for the newly crowned champion in the start of his title defense. On the bright side, critics of Hamilton will see how well he does in an underperforming car, so hopefully he'll be able to silence some of those critics.

The big news is the jaw dropping performance of Brawn GP. Honda, which pulled out of F1 in late 2008, was sold to Ross Brawn, and gave him $100m to run the team for this year. Because Honda dedicated their resources in the 2009 contender early on, their leadtime in CFD and wind tunnel research resulted in a car that's nearly a second faster than the 2nd place car (most likely BMW or Ferrari). All this WITHOUT having KERS in their car. Their aerodynamics is so strong that with a switch to Mercedes power (which would've definately upset chassis balance as it was designed for a Honda motor) they topped the timesheets almost everyday by over a second. In comparison, they were nearly 2 seconds a lap faster than McLaren with the same engine. Will Button finally be able to win races, or will Rubens be able to show the winning performance from his Ferrari days?

Ferrari and BMW has been doing well in winter tests too, and it's expected that they'll be the teams right behind Brawn GP, but Ferrari has been plagued by reliability gremlins over the winter so I don't think they'll do too well at the opener. BMW has been fast and consistent, they should be the 2nd best team on the field.

The rest of the teams? A big question mark. There's really not enough data from winter tests to really gauge how well everyone is doing since we have no idea what program they're testing. What we do know is that McLaren and Force India were the slowest teams. Williams, Toyota, Renault, Red Bull, Torro Rosso sit right in the middle. We'll know more after the first day of free practices. Who knows... maybe Williams, who clocked the fastest Jerez test time in the last day might be ahead of Brawn GP.

If you're looking for a place to watch the F1 race live with a few of us beyonders, shoot me a PM and I'll add you to the mailing list. I'm hosting the first race at my place, it'll be a great way to start off the season.

Go McLaren!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

w00t... I'm stoked!

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Any word yet on which teams are using KERS ??

Go Hammy !
    11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

GOOOO ANYONE BUT FERRARI AND BOURGAY!!!!!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

OK, news roundup for this morning.

The "diffuser 3" made it past scrutineering, and passed. BMW, Ferrari, Renault, and RBR filed an official protest. BMW's was tossed out because they didn't get the paperwork in on time lol. McLaren went in for scrutineering, and rumor has it that they showed off a double decker solution as well and will be running it this weekend. There's no risk for them, Hamilton has said that he will realistically qualify 15th, way out of the points. So if they do get some speed with the diffuser and score a few points, just maybe they'll be able to keep them if it's ruled legal.

The "diffuser 3" (well maybe 4 if McLaren indeed will be running one) will be racing under appeal. Which means that we won't really know the results of this weekend till months afterwards. It could end up being completely legal (decision stands), or team loses constructor points for the race (most likely if appeals find it illegal), or both team and driver loses points (highly unlikely). This will be the case for the next 2 races as well, since it's unlikely that the appeal will be heard till the F1 circus heads back to Europe.

That's my interpretation of things happening so far. Here's another:
    At 15:40 (local time) Jo Bauer declared that all the cars are in compliance with the regulations. At 19:10 the FIA confirmed that Ferrari, Renault and Red Bull had lodged a complaint about the diffusors of Brawn GP, Toyota and Williams. Well a complaint, the protesting teams keep calling it a request for clarification of the regulations...

BMW Sauber wanted to protest as well but their complaint was rejected because it was formulated in an imprecise way. The FIA said: ''The complaint was insufficient, there were no specific objections in it.'' Before BMW Sauber was able to try again the two hour deadline was over. McLaren decided not to complain, they feel they first have to solve the problems of their own car.

But they do have an opinion, Whitmarsh: ''At the moment unfortunately I can't tell the aerodynamicists in which direction they should develop. We need regulations that are the same and consistent for everyone.''

''Now the FIA quickly has to make a decision as to who will have to modify the car, the majority or the minority.''

The FIA will make sure that the protesting teams won't figure out how the diffusers work they're complaining against. Whiting: ''In cases like that we always keep an eye on teams not getting to know anything (technical) from other teams.''

Ecclestone declared that with this row the unity of the FOTA is in danger but Theissen denies: ''We continue to act in concert as far as the future of Formula 1 is concerned. The diffuser argument is something very much of today. It's part of the competition.''

If the diffusers are deemed illegal then the teams will be using it in any case. Brawn: ''Even if the appeal goes against us at a later stage, no one will be able to take away our points. We have to be able to rely on what the stewards tell us. At the moment, for us they're the final authority.''

Otherwise (the worst case scenario) Brawn GP, Toyota and Williams will have to be modifying their diffusers overnight. Michael: ''That would certainly have a big influence on our laptimes, because it would only be a provisionary action.''

Horner on the difficulty of copying the concept: ''It's not so easy to copy this diffuser. That costs a pretty penny because big modification measure are necessary for that.''
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

FP TONIGHT!!!
    Go Honda!!

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by buh_buh
    FP TONIGHT!!!
    Go Honda!!
    Who? ........ Oh, BrawnGP..

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

Just listing to BBC radio 1 here, and they played an advertisement for the GP.

Holy sh*t am I pumped for this weekend !

go red

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Is FP1 televised anywhere I can get it? Or am I stuck with the timing boards...

1 hour!
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

^^^ should be on speed

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Only second practice is on Speed.
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

you can usually find a stream online. I've watched a couple FP1s online, but usually not in english, so you'll have to do without the commentary.

33 minutes left in FP1.
    Rubens P1!

My Ride
    CBR600RR

So McLaren didn't protest and the rumour now is that they changed their diffuser design to mimic Toyota/Williams/Brawn? But they didn't get protested?

Do the protests actually name teams in question? Or just a general rule clarification?

In other words, if the diffusers are deemed illegal, will McLaren have to change theirs as well? Or will the other teams have to lodge a separate complaint?

Anyway, GO FERRARI!
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Originally posted by Eleanor
    So McLaren didn't protest and the rumour now is that they changed their diffuser design to mimic Toyota/Williams/Brawn? But they didn't get protested?

Do the protests actually name teams in question? Or just a general rule clarification?

In other words, if the diffusers are deemed illegal, will McLaren have to change theirs as well? Or will the other teams have to lodge a separate complaint?

Anyway, GO FERRARI!
    As far as I know they ask for rule clarification citing examples of differing interpretations using specific teams. If the diffusers were deemed illegal then any and all teams would have to comply, not just the teams that were specifically named.

End of FP1

Rosberg 1:26:287
    Nakajima +0.049
    Raikkonen +0.063
    Barrichello +0.539
    Kovalainen +0.766
    Button +0.780
    Massa +0.955
    Glock +1.023
    Sutil +1.306
    Alonso +1.436
    Heidfeld +1.450
    Trulli +1.455
    Kubica +1.824
    Fisichella +1.916
    Buemi +2.098
    Hamilton +2.355
    Webber +2.394
    Piquet +2.774
    Bourdais +2.812
    Vettel +6.097

Looks like Hammy's in a bit of trouble. Maybe Kovy's using their new diffuser and Hamilton isn't? Kovy up on Hamilton 6/10s in S1, even S2, then 9/10s in S3. I don't think Hamilton's running a different practice sim than Kovy, otherwise his sector 2 would've been way off too. I'm pretty sure they're running different setups since sector 1 and sector 3 is where the biggest differences are throughout the field, and sector 2 is where all the times are closest.

Looks like Toyota's diffuser can't make up for the rest of the package. I'm surprised to see Kimi that high and Trulli that low.

I'm pretty surprised at Toyota's lack of pace too, but I'm not surprised at Ferrari's pace. I thought Toyota would be pretty quick, but we'll have to see. This is just practice. BMW was slow all year last year in practice. If these times show real pace (which I'm sure they don't), then I'm willing to bet the diffuser won't be banned.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Kovaleinen is very quick. What's up with Hamilton?
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

I don't know how to interpret this, but Hamilton was only 1 tenth behind the pace in S2 and less than 1 second behind in S1 but 1.5 seconds off in S3.

S3 has the majority of high-G turns which, I assume, would point to a lack of downforce in the McLaren car, which makes sense. Kovi's laps follow the same trend, they're just faster. I wonder if Kovi is just more comfortable with the car at this point.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast