Quantcast
F1 feed in Canada - no Speed this year? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: F1 feed in Canada - no Speed this year?

Default F1 feed in Canada - no Speed this year?

SPEED MARCH 2009 BLACKOUT SCHEDULE for F1 (in Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean)
    26-Mar Practice Australia GP 01:30-03:00ET Canada
    27-Mar Qualifying Australia GP 02:00-03:30ET Canada
    28-Mar Pre-Race & Race Australia GP 01:30-04:00ET Canada
    29-Mar Encore Australia GP 15:30-17:00ET Canada
    Hows this going to work this year? Is this TSN requesting the blackout?

Any changes to the TSN feed? Do we still get the crappy Vic Rauter?

This is gonna be a pi$$ off if i cant get speed for any of the races. As bad as Speed is, TSN is worse.
    Why did we get the dual feed in past seasons?

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Speed didn't block the practice session last night.

..And I agree with your Vic comments.He sucks !
    11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

Vic and Gerry Donaldson are only for the pre and post race. TSN should be getting the BBC feed this year.

And yeah, practice was on last night, and qualifying is still scheduled to be on Speed.

Did you personally watch it on Speed using a Canadian provider? Im hearing from others that they did not get it.

Originally posted by fast95pony
    Speed didn't block the practice session last night.

..And I agree with your Vic comments.He sucks !

From the Toronto Star:

Speed coverage of F1 blacked out
    Email story
    Print
    Choose text size
    Report typo or correction
    Mar 27, 2009 02:21 PM
    Be the first to comment on this article...
    Norris McDonald
    Motorsport Reporter

Canadians hoping to watch Bob Varsha, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett report Formula One races on Speed this season are out of luck.

In the short term, anyway.

In recent years, fans have had a choice of F1 coverage between Canada's TSN, which picked up a feed from Britain's ITV Network, and the U.S.-based Speed Channel.

No more, seems.

Early this morning, Speed Channel's coverage of the first practice session at the Australian Grand Prix was interrupted five minutes into the program.

The screen went black and a notice said that coverage was being discontinued because of "rights issues in Canada with TSN."

In an email to the Star this afternoon, Speed vice-president of media relations, Erik Arneson, said:

"TSN has exclusive rights to air Formula One in the English language in Canada. In the past, TSN has kindly permitted Speed to telecast certain content non-exclusively. However, this year they have requested that we not do so.

" TSN has always been a good and fair partner of Speed and we respect their exclusivity. We look forward to working with TSN and F1 to perhaps share some of this programming space but until such arrangements are in place, Speed will continue to black out F1 racing in Canada."

In recent years, TSN's ITV feed featured James Allan doing play-by-play with ex-F1 driver Martin Brundle providing colour. Louise Goodman reported from the pits.

The BBC has replaced ITV as British broadcaster and while Brundle will continue as colour commentator, Allan has been replaced by BBC F1 radio anchor Jonathan Legard.

Other BBC talent that TSN will feature includes retired driver David Coulthard commenting in-studio and Lee McKenzie reporting from the pits.

As reported previously by the Star, TSN will also no longer feature a Toronto-produced F1 lead-in program starring anchor Vic Rauter and Canadian F1 journalist Gerald Donaldson

TSN's coverage of Australian GP qualifying will start at 1:55 a.m. tomorrow.

The first race of the F1 season can then be seen on TSN Sunday morning, also starting at 1:55 a.m. It will be repeated at 8 a.m.

That article answers some questions. Ill have to check my PVR to see if theres anything other than a black screen.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I've been following up on this.

TSN has requested Speed broadcasts be blocked this year, regardless if they are showing it. Which means no FP2 coverage (legally) for Canadians. Yesterday's FP2 broadcast was only blacked out by some providers. Expect the rest of the weekend's Speed coverage to be blacked out.

TSN has dropped the pre-race show. A good thing IMO, because Vic Rauter is a curling guy, he has NO business talking about F1. He's the dumbest announcer ever. Gerry Donaldson, he just recites the news. There was a race a few years back on TSN where they lost the ITV feed, so Vic and Gerry announced the whole race. Let me tell ya, that was the WORST thing I've ever heard in my life.

Unfortunately, TSN will not be picking up BBC's pre-race show. Therefore, the race broadcast will be starting only 5 mins before the race to catch some pitlane action.

The good news, with TSN2 on most networks, there should never be a battle to not show F1 when Golf or Hockey or Curling events should get in the way.

For those joining the other fans at my place this weekend, we WILL have the Speed HD pre-race show .
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

looks like there's going to be even less of us in the race threads during FP and Quali now.

What a joke this all is! I feel like we live in communist China with the damn CRTC rules, cable company actions and canadian networks.

Why wouldnt TSN or TSN2 pick up the prerace coverage? Especially with F1 being on at non-prime time its not like theyd be losing coverage on something else. We'll get to watch poker or strong man competitions for the hour before the race. Yay!

Time for a grey market dish. Anyone got any recommendations on where to start looking. PM me if you dont want to post your hookups. Seriously! Thanks.

For what its worth, email your displeasure to TSN here: [email protected]

http://www.tsn.ca/contact/#audiencerelations

So we lucked out last night and will have to just have the laptop open in bed from now on? Weak.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Holy that sucks..... Speed has class, every time i see the F1 start on TSN i expect to see one of the IFC intros that used to be on those school movies when we were kids.

Vic Rauter sucks... plain and simple.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by rage2
    Expect the rest of the weekend's Speed coverage to be blacked out.
    There go my plans out the window, for tonight.

TSN still has qualifying. Its just with Vic and Gerry

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

you guys need to find someone to invite you to racing underground.. I can't do it, I've used my 2 invites.
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

BBC practice commentator is fucking annoying. Repeating EACH drivers time every 5 mins is hella stupid

Davidson colour commentating is cool tho.

anyone watching the BBC feed for live practice?

atdhe.net

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by H4LFY2nR
    anyone watching the BBC feed for live practice?

atdhe.net
    I am now!

I'm pissed. I went to watch the "Inside Grand Prix" segment that I thought I had recorded, on Speed. But when I went to watch it, it was blacked out.

Dammit. They can't even show that, when TSN wasn't showing it themselves??

BTW, any word on whether TSN will be broadcasting the races in true HD this season, or not? I remember asking in our thread last year and someone said the races are shot in HD but not broadcast in HD (at least on the broadcast we get).

Originally posted by Inzane
    I'm pissed. I went to watch the "Inside Grand Prix" segment that I thought I had recorded, on Speed. But when I went to watch it, it was blacked out.

Dammit. They can't even show that, when TSN wasn't showing it themselves??

BTW, any word on whether TSN will be broadcasting the races in true HD this season, or not? I remember asking in our thread last year and someone said the races are shot in HD but not broadcast in HD (at least on the broadcast we get).
    The IGP segment was the same one as Thursday night and the races aren't recorded or broadcast in HD.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Speed wasn't even blacked out last night...

Originally posted by DJ Lazy
    Speed wasn't even blacked out last night...
    Was for me. The IGP segment wasn't but I got the test pattern as soon as it switched to qualifying.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast