Quantcast
Tesla Model S - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Tesla Model S

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

Default Tesla Model S

I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet. This is a sweet looking car! A mix of the Maserati Gran Turismo/Quattroporte and Aston.

$50K US is not a bad price.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/tesla-model-s.html

My Ride
    Grimace

I think that is a very good price for that car, the exterior looks great, and 300miles on a single charge is pretty decent, just the interior bothers me.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

I'm lazy, so I'll copy and paste what I wrote on 780 over here...

Actually, to be honest, an electric sedan makes way, way less sense than an electric sports car.

Sedans are supposed to be used to GO SOMEWHERE. There's no way Tesla will get a 300 mile range from this thing, because it simply isn't doable on batteries yet.

But for arguments sake, let's say they do. So 300 miles equals 480 kms, about. Now let's say you wanted to go on a trip, like the one I'll be doing this summer. Edmonton to my cottage just outside Vermilion Bay, Ontario. It's 1696 kms, according to Google Maps. Two years ago, it took me about 16 hours to drive that in my NSX, at about 135 km/h on the highways, stopping only for gas and chips at the gas station.

So 1696 kms, divided by 480 kms is 3.53xx charges. Let's call a ballpark ten hours to recharge it (yes, I know Tesla says 45 minutes. Probably on a 440 volt power outlet. You see any of those outside gas stations and hotels?) It needs 3 charges, so 30 hours there. Now, you're not going to want to sleep every time it's charging, since it's every 5 hours or so, so facter in a night of rest as well.

So yeah, with an electric car, you're looking at almost 4 days to get there instead of 16 hours.

There goes your holidays. An 8 day round trip for something that could be done in two days, on six tanks of gas.

My Ride
    Bicycle

^ electric vehicle are not design for long haul trips but they can with on board generators.

But there is a market for this just like Volt. Not everyone can do with a 2 seater for work.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

People who can spend the money on an electric car like this can spend the money to fly to get where they want to go.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

I think this car is gorgeous! And very appropriately priced. $50k is probably around $70k here, which is a good price, plus it'll be unique. 300 miles is plenty of range, even if you have to recharge it for 10 hours.

My Ride
    RHD-S13/LHD-S13

Originally posted by psycoticclown
    I think this car is gorgeous! And very appropriately priced. $50k is probably around $70k here, which is a good price, plus it'll be unique. 300 miles is plenty of range, even if you have to recharge it for 10 hours.

Reminds me of an exotic car without the outrageous price tag. Plus the numbers are pretty impressing too (0-60 in 5.6s, as well as 300 mile range). Watch it turn into the next douchemobile though if it becomes widely available in Canada.

My Ride
    Eagle Talon AWD

Thumbs up I likey

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
    Actually, to be honest, an electric sedan makes way, way less sense than an electric sports car.

Sedans are supposed to be used to GO SOMEWHERE. There's no way Tesla will get a 300 mile range from this thing, because it simply isn't doable on batteries yet.

But for arguments sake, let's say they do. So 300 miles equals 480 kms, about. Now let's say you wanted to go on a trip, like the one I'll be doing this summer. Edmonton to my cottage just outside Vermilion Bay, Ontario. It's 1696 kms, according to Google Maps. Two years ago, it took me about 16 hours to drive that in my NSX, at about 135 km/h on the highways, stopping only for gas and chips at the gas station.

So 1696 kms, divided by 480 kms is 3.53xx charges. Let's call a ballpark ten hours to recharge it (yes, I know Tesla says 45 minutes. Probably on a 440 volt power outlet. You see any of those outside gas stations and hotels?) It needs 3 charges, so 30 hours there. Now, you're not going to want to sleep every time it's charging, since it's every 5 hours or so, so facter in a night of rest as well.

So yeah, with an electric car, you're looking at almost 4 days to get there instead of 16 hours.

There goes your holidays. An 8 day round trip for something that could be done in two days, on six tanks of gas.
    You can only travel on a schedule like that with adults, and frankly, I would fly or use a hybrid for such a long trip.
    If you have kids, you need to stop for all kinds of stuff regularly, more frequent than every 480km, I can tell you!

Your comparison is unfair, because if the infrastructure for electric vehicles was even 1/2 as good as for gasoline, you would have a 5 min battery pack change and be on your way.

For me this vehicle would be perfect; I rarely drive the family farther than 200 km at a stretch, and mostly 100 km or less. For things like a day at the beach or movies or all the normal stuff: perfect.

I already have a problem with folks that own a huge F350 diesel and use it as a daily driver so they can tow with it one holiday a year...
    Last edited by BlackLight; 03-31-2009 at 01:37 PM.