Quantcast
Calgary transhit - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary transhit

Originally posted by Schwa
    Dude learn to read. He's praising Calgary.
    I guess I can't read. sorry

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by 5000Audi
    shoulda built a Skytrain like Vancouver and surrounding cities.. faster/smoother/ no drivers... once i went on the skytrain in vancouver it was like compairing a Bently to a dodge colt.. big differance...

calgarys transit it a joke.. i will never take it again..ive paid for cab rides downtown just so i wouldent have to take the transit...
    don't bother, i always seem to get flamed when i bring up the whole skytrain thing
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    TL

it's always a shitfest in the morning. i have to wait two trains at southland because some idiot will push you outta the way just so they can get on a train that's already massively packed.

Originally posted by 5000Audi
    shoulda built a Skytrain like Vancouver and surrounding cities.. faster/smoother/ no drivers
    The Skytrain technology is surperior in almost every area except for capital cost. The Skytrain is ALRT, where the A stands for 'automated,' and is sometimes also referred to as a 'mini-metro' in that it is somewhat of a go-between of LRT and Heavy Rail Subway systems as seen in Toronto, Montreal, New York, Chicago, etc. If Calgary had gone with Skytrain technology, the miles of track would likely be halved, due to cost of construction. Not saying it isn't the better option, but someone has to pay for it.

Edmonton and Calgary's systems have received roughly equal funding up until recently. Both cities, along with San Diego were really the pioneers of modern-day LRT systems in North America. Edmonton chose to bury their system downtown and today there is one line in operation with 11 stations, 15 by 2010 and 13 km of track. Calgary's ended up using the 7th Avenue at-grade infrastructure at a fraction of the cost and as a result is about to open its 38th station with 3 lines and 45 km of track.

Now, while there are occasionally some operational problems, on a cost vs. area and population served basis, compared with Edmonton's system to date, and also Vancouver's, Calgary's C-train beats both.

^ what about frustration when the C train breaks down, which seems to happen every day or two? I'd GLADLY pay double for transit that is RELIABLE 24/7.
    Originally posted by maZda3
    so ima stop talkin cuz its not me thats emberasing myself but you...so yea pce

My Ride
    Axis powers

montreal lol.. those "trains" are so ghetto, i wouldn't even call them trains but the size of those trains are massive, like double the size of the trains in calgary

i would pay double if calgary had a subway system... having to wait outside in the fucking cold to catch the train is ridiculous
    Sig nuked by mod.

^I doubt it is every day or two. A delay similar to what happened the other day is probably on the order of once or twice a month at most. I used to take the train every day up until fairly recently. Were there delays? Yes. Were they every day or close to it? No. If you've had differing experiences, far be it from me to call you wrong, I can only go off of my own experience and those of people I know.

All larger transit systems experience delays as well. Trains break down and people attempt suicide by jumping in front of trains everywhere. Apparently the latest trend on the Yonge line in Toronto is for there to be "signal problems" causing delays with increasing frequency.
    Last edited by frinkprof; 04-02-2009 at 12:19 PM.

^
    Unless you've lived in multiple Canadian cities and taken transit regularly, you probably shouldn't be commenting.

I'm just shocked that you'd even attempt to compare Calgary to Vancouver transit. TransLink is 100 times better, in every aspect. The SkyTrain is automated and it doesn't "break down" when it snows and strand people for hours in -40 weather. Buses in Van run ON TIME whereas in Calgary they're typically 15 minutes early or late, don't show up at all, are full, 3 buses in a row that don't stop when they should, etc. etc. etc.

Calgary Transit is TERRIBLE. Period.

PS. It's quite obvious you work for Calgary Transit, so I apologize for offending your livelihood, but at the same time you should be embarrassed.

Originally posted by frinkprof
    ^I doubt it is every day or two. A delay similar to what happened the other day is probably on the order of once or twice a month at most. I used to take the train every day up until fairly recently. Were there delays? Yes. Were they every day or close to it? No. If you've had differing experiences, far be it from me to call you wrong, I can only go off of my own experience and those of people I know.

All larger transit systems experience delays as well. Trains break down and people attempt suicide by jumping in front of trains everywhere. Apparently the latest trend on the Yonge line in Toronto is for there to be "signal problems" causing delays with increasing frequency.

^I won't reply to all your points, because it was not and still is not my intention to argue with you or call you wrong. I can not refute your experiences.

I do not work for Calgary Transit, as I'm a post-secondary student in another province. However, I have done quite a bit of research on it and other systems.

Also, if you refer to my second-to-last post, the first thing I say is that the Skytrain is superior in every aspect, except for capital cost. So, again, while it is the better technology, someone has to pay for it. Vancouver's system began in 1986 serving a region of over a million people at the time. Calgary's started in 1981 serving a population of about half that. The cost to Vancouver was easier to justify, especially given that it was built for the Expo. Calgary's first line began construction in 1978 before the Olympics had been awarded.

The only comparison I made between Calgary's and Vancouver's system was based on cost. Vancouver's is indeed the better system overall, and they paid for it.
    Last edited by frinkprof; 04-02-2009 at 01:02 PM.

My apologies, I think I just scanned your posts and saw you trying to argue that Calgary Transit was somehow "good". I see now that all along you've simply been commenting on ridership costs. I guess we're arguing apples and oranges since I don't give a shit about costs, just reliability and user satisfaction, both of which in my experience and talking to others...Calgary Transit is the worst of a major Canadian city.

Originally posted by frinkprof
    ^I won't reply to all your points, because it was not and still is not my intention to argue with you or call you wrong. I can not refute your experiences.

I do not work for Calgary Transit, as I'm a post-secondary student in another province. However, I have done quite a bit of research on it and other systems.

Also, if you refer to my second-to-last post, the first thing I say is that the Skytrain is superior in every aspect, except for capital cost. So, again, while it is the better technology, someone has to pay for it. Vancouver's system began in 1986 serving a region of over a million people at the time. Calgary's started in 1981 serving a population of about half that. The cost to Vancouver was easier to justify, especially given that it was built for the Expo. Calgary's first line began construction in 1978 before the Olympics had been awarded.

The only comparison I made between Calgary's and Vancouver's system was based on cost. Vancouver's is indeed the better system overall, and they paid for it.

My Ride
    Audi 5000 QT

skytrain FTW Ctrain FTL...

well even tho the skytrain has a higher cost.. BUT when using the skytrain and or the bus, you have to pay for differant zones.. Thus going from Surrey to North van you have to pay for 2 zones.. thus costing more.. even tho there is no way calgary will get a better transit system since, well we already building more of these stupid train platforms..Im just happy i dont need to take calgary transit or i think i would go insane!!!

www.boostedalberta.com
    =[[Beyonds Dirtiest Daily Driver]]=
    Originally posted by dj_rice
    OOP or whatever that Out of Province Inspection is called

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The one thing I'm really curious about, since some of you are comparing Vancouver to Calgary, is how much revenue is generated per sq. km for each city. If Vancouver can get more money for a smaller area, it seems intuitive to me that the services are going to be better.

I fuckin hate Transit as much as the next guy, but if we're going to compare, make it apples to apples.
    Ultracrepidarian

bork bork bork
    Last edited by 88coupe; 04-03-2009 at 05:58 PM.

bork bork bork
    Last edited by 88coupe; 04-03-2009 at 05:59 PM.

luxor Guest

I wasn't even going to comment on this gathering of ignorance, but this is just getting retarded so I will make this quick and simple.

Originally posted by khtm

Calgary Transit is TERRIBLE. Period.

PS. It's quite obvious you work for Calgary Transit, so I apologize for offending your livelihood, but at the same time you should be embarrassed.

Instead of whining and bitching on the internet, have you ever thought of how you can help improve the system more? Suggesting how great other city's transit system doesn't count towards solving a problem. I don't think some of their bus routes are great either but the C-trains are actually very efficient IMO. For example the C-train can take me across the city at least 10 minutes faster than my car.

Delays are not fun, but neither are traffic jams caused by a broken traffic light (4-way flashing). Does that mean all of Calgary now sucks? You make it sound like only Calgary's C-trains suffer delays.

Last point here: Just because someone think your arguments are retarded and defend Calgary Transit doesn't automatically make them an employee of Calgary Transit.

Originally posted by 88coupe

Nobody CHOOSES Calgary Transit, it's an effing monopoly and there are no alternatives other than paying $400 for parking. I'm pretty convinced that if there were even a close cost alternative then NOBODY would take the C-train.

WOW, a monopoly? really?

A government owned monopoly huh, someone jail the guy who owns Calgary Transit, that evil prick. Oh wait, Calgary Transit is owned by the City of Calgary and funded by the federal government, how peculiar is that.

Do you want to know why there isn't an alternative train system?

Cost. Simple as that, if people could make money running the C-train and it was cheap to build train tracks, station platforms, controls, and everything that goes into running a train, then someone would make a business out of it. Obviously it isn't and that's why it's called public transportation you (fucking) moron! Subsidized by the government, that's why you can ride for only $2.50. You would never see that kind of pricing if it were privately owned.

Also, to which ever dumb ass here that said Calgary Transit is running a "business", pull your head out of your ass. There is no money to be made running public services, it COSTS money, you are, therefore, NOT even a customer in that sense. The Police, EMS and Fire are all services too in case you were too stupid to realize.

So I'm on the train again today and it breaks down wtf! Had to wait a full hour before it got it up and running. What a joke cgy transhit is - once again proves that its a total piece of shit

My Ride
    Axis powers

anyone know wtf was with the trains last night? went to the 3rd street station and people were standing on the sidewalk waiting to get onto the platform.. that was fucking stupid
    Sig nuked by mod.

I remember taking transit a few times in university ..... absolutely hated it, and this was before Calgary really exploded in the last few years ... would hate to see it now.

Originally posted by adam c
    anyone know wtf was with the trains last night? went to the 3rd street station and people were standing on the sidewalk waiting to

get onto the platform.. that was fucking stupid
    Probably another lame suicide jumper.

Originally posted by luxor

Also, to which ever dumb ass here that said Calgary Transit is running a "business", pull your head out of your ass. There is no money to be made running public services, it COSTS money, you are, therefore, NOT even a customer in that sense. The Police, EMS and Fire are all services too in case you were too stupid to realize.
    Although I agree with most of your points, ^^ one isn't as simple. I agree it’s a service, Police, EMS and Fire are all services but our taxes do pay for these services. It's not entirely free. I pay provincial, federal and property taxes ... I'm not going to complain about the taxes as I know they are there to provide us with these services. Calgary transit then charges a small charge on top of our taxes to run this service.

I don’t think you can blame citizens of this city to be erked about the service provided by this organization. I'm sure there are valid reasons for our service not being at par with the ridership but I wouldn't rule out the fact that BECAUSE this is a government operated organization, it ISNT very efficient. IF this organization (funded by the public) was run like a BUSINESS with cost effective measures and efficient business planning, I'm sure the service could improve.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast