Quantcast
Canada to set mandatory vehicle fuel standards - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Canada to set mandatory vehicle fuel standards

My Ride
    No more Subarus

Default Canada to set mandatory vehicle fuel standards

Canada to set mandatory vehicle fuel standards

By Juliet O'Neill, Canwest News ServiceApril 1, 2009 11:02 AM

OTTAWA — The federal government will set mandatory fuel standards on cars and light trucks that are harmonized with current and future U.S. fuel regulations aimed at curbing carbon emissions, Environment Minister Jim Prentice announced Wednesday.

The regulations, replacing voluntary standards on Canadian automakers, will be in place next spring, in time for 2011 model year vehicles, and will be harmonized with future American standards, he said.

The U.S. national fuel economy standards for 2011 models, announced by President Barack Obama last week, are an average 27.3 miles (43.9 kilometres) per gallon. That's 30.2 miles per gallon for cars and 24.1 miles per gallon for light trucks.

"Some people may say that this is the worst possible time to introduce new automobile emission standards," Prentice said in an address to the Economic Club of Canada.

" The economy is shrinking. People are uncertain about the future, and they're staying out of the automobile showrooms. Two of the major North American automakers have requested government support. Wouldn't new emissions standards provide one more straw on that poor camel's back?

"I would argue the opposite. I believe that, to survive and to thrive, the North American automakers must build the cars of the future — cars that leave less of a carbon footprint. That is the way forward for the North American automotive industry."

Canada produced 721 megatonnes of greenhouse gases in 2006, more than a quarter of that from transportation. About half the transportation emissions are from cars and light trucks.

The standards will be set through regulations under the Canadian Environment Protection Act rather than the Motor Vehicle Fuel Consumption Standards Act as previously indicated by the government.

"We do not have the luxury of time," Prentice said. "We are moving immediately on these measures."

The government will formally start consulting stakeholders soon and plans to public the regulations this fall with final regulations due out next spring.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Cars/Ca...338/story.html

New vehicles in 2011 have to meet the fuel economy standard :
    7.8L/100km for cars
    9.8L/100km for light trucks

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

April fools!

My Ride
    No more Subarus

Originally posted by heavyD
    April fools!
    Probably................if you think. It may be the April's fool from the federal government and the Calgary Herald.

Demand of oil is going to drop, price also?
    Last edited by leec001; 04-01-2009 at 11:51 AM.

my cars already get that

My Ride
    Bicycle

Do they even have to waste time to announce this?

It's not like they'll make an exception for Canadians.

My Ride
    No more Subarus

Originally posted by Xtrema

Some of the people think there will be an exception and the oil consumption will be the same in the future.

My Ride
    ST205

I think the government is smart to move away from oil and forcing auto companies to look at other sources of power and to increase efficiency in their product.
    It's no doubt that china is an emerging power. Their copy cat skill is probably the best in the world.

Right now they only copied the exterior of modern north american vehicle, but in 5 or 10 years I'm sure they'll be able to produce cars cheaper and their quality on par with North american vehicles.
    At that time these large north american auto maker who were content with their status quo and mediocrity will be forced out of business by external competition.
    The only way they could excel is to develop new tech and these government regulations are a swift kick the the ass telling them to smarten up

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

vehicles are going to be designed for US standards regardless. It makes having minimum Canadian standards harmonized with the US moot. It's going to happen regardless...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Sure they do.

We got Diesels that didn't pass CARB.

We also get non CARB versions of vehicles as they are cheaper to manufacturer.

If Canada follows CARB levels, we will get more expensive, less powerful cars (unless manufacturers only offer 50-state legal cars).

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Does this mean that all 2011 Model Year cars must hit 30.2 MPG? Where does that leave sports cars? There is no way to get 600+HP in cars and still get 30.2MPG.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by 94boosted
    Does this mean that all 2011 Model Year cars must hit 30.2 MPG? Where does that leave sports cars? There is no way to get 600+HP in cars and still get 30.2MPG.
    Average. For every 15mpg sportscar/truck sold, same manufacturer must sell 6 33mpg compacts to make the average. This is why it's going to be scary for the domestics which rely mostly on trucks and why Toyota is pushing hybrid quick.

Watch for less high displacement NA and more blown engines from everyone in the coming years.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Watch for less high displacement NA and more blown engines from everyone in the coming years.
    Too bad blow engines usually have just as poor gas mileage as large displacement NA engines in reality. I know manufacturers can make it look like you can hit 30 mpg by not hitting full boost during driving but in reality I haven't owned a 4 cylinder turbo engine that got mileage better than a V6.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Thanks to the retarded system they use for measuring fuel economy, just a run a massive turbo that doesn't spool until above the rpm they rev to in the test.

I bet Rage can get decent mileage in his M3 if he's nice to the throttle.

At least they didn't put limits on displacement.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Average. For every 15mpg sportscar/truck sold, same manufacturer must sell 6 33mpg compacts to make the average. This is why it's going to be scary for the domestics which rely mostly on trucks and why Toyota is pushing hybrid quick.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was scared for a bit there lol