Quantcast
Old school shave supplies.... - Page 32 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Old school shave supplies....

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What kits are you seeing? Some are really disposable multi-blade razors that are packaged to appeal to hipsters.
    You want single blade. I dunno about a "kit" but Amazon has a bunch of razors from Merkur which are good.
    I like the feather brand blades, but Derby might be better to start with.
    I use nivea shaving cream from shoppers, I like it a lot more than proraso. Currently running a cheap Omega boar bristle brush, but I have a badger brush as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Yeah I'm not talking about multi blade. The first one that I can remember is this https://supply.co/products/the-single-edge-razor

I'm sure there was another one that was a "normal" safety razor (like merkur etc), but that name isn't coming to mind.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm what blades are those? $125 for the starter kit doesn't seem like amazing value.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm what blades are those? $125 for the starter kit doesn't seem like amazing value.
    I think they're proprietary blades. Yeah, keep in mind it's 125USD. I wasn't actually set on getting this one but it just got me thinking about this type of razor in general. I'm thinking I might get a Merkur futur, then just gotta figure out what kind of hair I want the brush made out of.

Any insights as to whether shave soap (bar) vs cream+lather vs normal shaving cream (barbasol) is better? Lathering with a bar just seems like kind of a PITA.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have sensitive skin, and was never happy with any of the soaps. Once I found that the nivea stuff didn't bother me, I didn't try anything else. I get a good lather with this:
    Name:  999999-56594007215.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  41.2 KB

You could just buy a cheap brush at the drugstore and see if you like the whole system, then upgrade the brush as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    So I've seen a bunch of ads for these types of razors pop up on my instagram lately, and I've been thinking of trying it out. Any recommendations for a starter kit? Or just pick one cause they're all the same? Happy to hear any suggestions you guys might have for what to buy.

(and sorry, no I didn't read all 31 pages of this thread, and don't plan on it)

edit: Found this thread with search, didn't look where it was. Why are we in the health and fitness section
    Just find a decently priced safety razor on Amazon. Something heavy is what I prefer. I agree with Extraslow on blades. The feather brand is sharp as hell, and they're like 20$ for 100 on Amazon. I haven't bought blades in like 2 years and still have a bunch left.

Personally I never saw a need to go some fancy old skool brush or shave cream. Gilette or the like shave gel does the job just as it always did when I used shitty cartridge razors. So a "kit" was never something I considered.

Walmart has the Wilkinson Sword safety razor for around $20. It's a butterfly. Not too aggressive. Might as well try it out. Can always return it too. You can try their razors as well, but they're not all that great. I suggest you go to Kent of Inglewood and pick up some samples. Feather and Kai are the sharpest. I use Feather because my coarse Asian hair destroys other duller blades. Kai is too sharp even for me.

I use shave soap, one piece lasts about 6 months. The WS one is only $3.50.

My Ride
    4x4

I like the nivea soap & boarhair brush. Pretty sure i haven't bought soap in 2 years+

And im still working through those derbies i bought years ago too

My Ride
    Hybrid

I'm gonna start sounding like a cynical old man, but any time I see sponsored content / ads on instagram, I feel like it's just stupid crap made to sucker hipsters.
    Get yourself a merkur or edwin jagger safety razor and a bunch of blades off amazon. Skip the Derby blades that everybody starts off with... they suck.

I never liked the lathering bar thing, you're right it is a PITA. If you're sticking with drug store stuff, I'll add another vote for the Nivea cream. Otherwise, there's a whole world of nicer creams if you go to a shop like Kent of Inglewood (you can find lots on Amazon as well).

My personal preference nowadays is Kiehl's brushless shave cream (blue tube). I used to do the whole badger brush lathering thing, but now I find that I can't be bothered and I find the Kiehl's works just as well or better in terms of smoothness and preventing irritation.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

I'm a fan of the Proraso shave soap with a cheaper badger brush.

My Ride
    V8s

Well, just popping in for an update. I bought a Merkur 34C, some Feather blades, Omega boar hair brush. I'm using the proraso pre-shave cream instead of an oil right now, and the cheap nivea drugstore shave cream. Not sure if I want to keep doing the lathering/brush/bowl thing, so I'm probably gonna just try some normal shave cream soon and see how that goes.

How often do you guys change your blades? Every shave? Every 5 shaves? I've noticed mine get a little duller after the first shave, and they're cheap enough that I might just change every time.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Well, just popping in for an update. I bought a Merkur 34C, some Feather blades, Omega boar hair brush. I'm using the proraso pre-shave cream instead of an oil right now, and the cheap nivea drugstore shave cream. Not sure if I want to keep doing the lathering/brush/bowl thing, so I'm probably gonna just try some normal shave cream soon and see how that goes.

How often do you guys change your blades? Every shave? Every 5 shaves? I've noticed mine get a little duller after the first shave, and they're cheap enough that I might just change every time.
    Astra Blades. I use them once and throw them out. They're cheap enough.

4 shaves at most. Usually 3.

The blade should get sharper after the first shave actually. I use one side with the grain, the other against the grain.

My Ride
    V167

Has anyone used an alum block post shave to help calm the skin?

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

yes and it works well. YOu can also just get the crystal salt deodorant sticks from the pharmacy. Much cheaper, works the same as the alum block

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Dislike the alum.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I usually just go by feel but I figure it works out to 2 shaves using each side of the blade then I flip the blade for another 1-2. So total 6-8 shaves per blade.

My Ride
    V8s

Wow that was a delayed reply haha.

I bought a box of 200 feather blades on amazon, just change them every time.

I think davidI was smuggling drugs the past while.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I change mine after 3-4 shaves or if I notice that the first pass isn't as clean and have to do a 2nd-3rd run.

EDIT: Lol nvm
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 LastLast