Quantcast
Made-to-measure Suits - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Made-to-measure Suits

Default Made-to-measure Suits

Hey everyone, so I will be needing a suit very shortly, and as most shops like Tip Top and Moores do not have something that fits me to an extent, where alternations can be done and still look somewhat fitted. As I am fairly short and finding a suit isn't the easiest thing for me to do. I thought I'd give it a shot on Beyond, I have searched for suits in this section, and most results show Holt, and Harry Rosen. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some shops or even someone private, whether it be a very well known place, or someone that does decent quality work, that I could contact and have a suit or even just suit jacket done within the next month? As well, budget is somewhat of a concern so if anyone could suggest someone or some place that wouldn't be too over priced, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

There is "The place for men" which is a consignment boutique for Mens suits and very sharp casual clothing. They're very close to Mount Royal, on 14th street SW.

They have great suits for a wicked cost most times. For my high school grad I bought a $2200 Hugo Boss suit for $600, it was used perhaps twice.

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Albert...&le=c465b70c6c

For Alterations I used to go to Wai's alterations. here they are.
    http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Albert...&origWhat=true

Good luck!
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride

I have an amazing DG suit that i don't think can even be altered to fit me now. I was 6'3 and 230 lbs when i bought it, and since then i've dropped like 6 inches off my waist and 40 lbs from my frame. The jacket is still un-tailored, if you think it would fit you, let me know.

I have the opposite problem as you; I'm tall and thin (6' / 165lbs). For me, made to measure is the way to go. At Harry Rosen they offer MTM on a variety of brands but in the 'reasonable' end the price spectrum there is there house brand JP Tillford (which is made by Samuelsson) and Copley.

The Samuelsson suits are the higher quality of the two, they have full canvas construction and you can chose from a wide array of styles/fabrics/buttons… The drawback is that they do take probably 6-8 weeks. If I remember correctly, they run about $1,200 (depending on fabric). Mostly because I find the sales guys at HR to be clowns, there is another place downtown that sells Samuelsson MTM suits that I have never been to but will next time. It’s right off the C-Train tracks just south of the new courthouse building.

Copley on the other hand (which I have never bought), are of slightly lesser quality but I think the turnaround is as quick as two weeks. Also they are a little cheaper.

I have some other quality ‘designer name’ off the rack suits, but I wouldn’t buy another off the rack suit again. Having said that, I'm not sure what you need the suit for, for me I wear them 12hrs/d 5-days a week, so the cost per use is fairly reasonable.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    For my high school grad I bought a $2200 Hugo Boss suit for $600, it was used perhaps twice.
    Are you the guy that didn't know if the suit would fit, so you tried it on, ran around the block twice, then came back to return it two weeks later because you said it was stained?

Graham_A_M - Thanks for the feedback, however I am not looking to spend too much on a suit, and due to the fact that most suits from retailers will not fit even with alternations. I am looking for more of a place that does made-to-measure suits. But I do know others who are looking for suits too so thank you for the recommendation, as I will let others know.

Crymson - Hey thanks for the offer, but like I mentioned I highly doubt it would fit as you are quite the bigger guy and even the smallest sized suit in stores would be a tad big. So I would need more of a made-to-measure. But I will let others know, maybe I'll shoot you a PM sometime if anyone is interested, thanks once again.

Celica TVS3 - Thanks for the feedback. I need a suit for grad. which is coming up in the end of may, as well for me it wont exactly be a one time use kinda thing. As there are a few banquets and weddings I will be attending this summer, as well as potential job interviews which would require a suit. I was wondering if you knew the price range of the Copley suits? As I am still in high school, and parents are unwilling to help me financially as they would like me to be more independent. I do have some what of a budget, but if I do not have a choice, I guess maybe I'll spend the extra dollars to get a MTM.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Greatly appreciate all the help!
    Last edited by nykz; 04-08-2009 at 08:50 AM.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

For service O'Connors. They have some decently priced stuff too.

My Ride
    Toyota Tercel

Try Ed William's Mens Wear in Crowfoot.

Ask for Thomas Farkas and tell him Will Cao sent you.

They did my suit for my wedding last year. I'm 5'7", 155 lbs.

I was originally going to with a tailored suit from Harry Rosen but it was going to cost me $2k plus.

Thomas got me into a tailored suit for under $1k.

If you want tailor made then be prepared to spend at least $600 and up.

Plus you have to get a nice shirt and tie...

Good luck.

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

My Ride
    R6

My store does mtm suits if you want to PM me i can give you more details

My Ride
    BMW

My opinion, "the place for men" sells a lot of fakes for real prices... I went in there once, and was shocked at the stuff they were selling as real... some of their stuff is real consignment, but alot is fake.

I saw prada shoes there, if you compare them to real prada shoes you would immediately know they are fake. Belts, shirts, purses in my opinon fake. I have been to hong kong many times and seen stores that sell the fake stuff, they look exactly like this store and their products.

Stay away from this place. Not trying to bad mouth this place, but it really pisses me off when people try and rip others off, I don't care if they are selling fakes for fake prices, but when you sell fakes for real prices, that pisses me off.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^Thanks for the heads up, I haven't been to that store since that grad.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Thanks for the heads up bg_27, now I know where not to venture into! As well, thanks everyone for the help and input, I really appreciate it. I gave some places a call, and I am still undecided about where maybe I should give it a go. If anyone still has any shops or places they would like to recommend, I would really appreciate it, you guys have been a lot of help so far so thanks again everyone!

http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

These guys were mentioned in a thread about suits from a long time ago...

If anyone has personal experiences can you post them? Something beyond they sucked ass or they were amazing...

Pricing (for what you bought), service, the process (for newbs like myself), quality, time, etc...
    J

My Ride
    '21 BMW X5 X40i mSport

Originally posted by Mys73ri0
    http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

These guys were mentioned in a thread about suits from a long time ago...
    I bought a suit from Maxwell a couple years ago, and I love the way it fits. I got a suit and 3 shirts made for around $500. They have hundreds, if not thousands, of swatches to choose from, ranging from their standard 'house' material (that's what I got) to designer materials. They even keep your measurements on file so you can just go back and pick a color, then get the shirt/suit made without getting measured again. Plus they can monogram it all, which is pretty sweet. I think he's in town near the end of May this year and I'm planning on going down to get more stuff made.

James & Dickson in Kensington, Market Mall (& somewhere in the south too?) does really nice custom stuff for a pretty fair price.

I heard good reviews about maxwell clothiers as well. However I will be needing my suit for my grad which is going to be near the end of may. So unfortunately that is not a possibility for me, but for those who are interested. I heard from other peoples past experiences with them that they were very pleased with their MTM suits.