Quantcast
The Return to Fitness... (without a gym) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The Return to Fitness... (without a gym)

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Default The Return to Fitness... (without a gym)

I know I have created a few of these threads in the past, and something has always happened, either good or bad, that drags me off the straight n narrow. Most recently, it has been a year and a half of pain and agony from surgery and complications (nerve entrapment syndrome).

Because of this, I have, sadly, fallen prey to the vices of bad health, namely a general laziness about doing things and some improper eating habits.

Well, after a very heart to heart with a close friend of mine who did a 5 month gymless challenge and saw positive results, I am going to give it one more good ol college try, except this time I think I have the motivation to succeed.

My questions to the Beyond population are threefold. I have already asked about nutrition, diet, motivation, etc. My questions are:

1) For gymless training, that being no access to a gym or gym equipment, what forms of in-house exercise are available? I've been reading a lot about the amazing things you can do with a length of rope tied to the ceiling with a foot loop at the other end, just wanted to get the most comprehensive set of exercises possible.

2) My goal is not specifically weight loss. My goal is FAT loss. I know I have a strong frame and well developed musculature from years of martial arts, sports and activities in my teens and early twenties. However, I am still very clueless on the ideals of TARGETTED fat loss. My main areas of concern are my abdomen and chest, where I have accumulated a not-so-healthy amount of excess fat. So, what pointers, that DO NOT USE supplements, chemicals, or surgeries, do you all have to help me take down the fat and bring out the definition and tone I know is hiding under there?

3) The biggie: rotation and schedule. Every time I launch into this, I ask about it and get 15 different answers. Well, I want to consolidate, get those 15 answers again, and figure out what specifically works for me. So, for someone that has access to parks, bikeways, easy access to local swimming pools, and a large area for ground based exercises (pushups, situps, etc), what is a good way to find a schedule and exercise rotation that fits me?

I have decided to cut out, entirely, sodas. I fell off that wagon before, but this time it's for sure. If I need caffeine, it will come from natural sources such as mild teas and the like. I am not adverse to holistic approaches as well, via herbs and such that activate natural body chemicals to help with fat burning. I just don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars on supplements. I want to do it naturally, as the body intended.

Pursuant to this, I have started on a much more vegetarian based diet. I've cut rice down by almost three quarters of my regular intake (about 2.5 cups a week) to keep starches low. I am doing much more with green beans, kidney beans, black beans, all boiled or steamed naturally. Salts have been reduce by a drastic level. Meats, when consumed, are trimmed of fats and cooked with the fats that are locked into the meat itself drained as much as possible. My fiber intake is up, as is my water consumption (I'm at about 4-6 L per day now, up from about 2-2.5 L. I measure by keeping my water in 2L pop bottles).

I know that it's not the focused diet I need, but it's a general start.

And lastly, the motivation behind all this. At one point, I was keen on the military. I was all set and ready and then medical circumstances knocked me off that path. Well, now that I've struggled through it all, I'm 27, overweight, lazy and with a dim outlook for a career in my field unless a miracle decides to land itself squarely between my eyes. And so... I am looking at Signals and Intelligence in the military. It deals with computers, is a technical job, and can lead back to civilian careers if/when I leave the military.

Thing is... you need to be fit and healthy to join the Forces, and I am neither. However, I also cannot afford gym fees AT ALL, so all my exercise has to come from natural sources, be it my own body weight, natural resistances (gravity, wind, etc) and commonly available weighty objects around the house (I've heard 4 L milk jugs are great adjustable weights).
    Geek

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Basically you can't spot fat reduce without supplementation.

Accumulated fat deposits in certain areas in most cases are due to hormonal imbalances.

Work on getting lean first <10% BF, then if the problem persists a more aggressive approach can be taken.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

You cannot 'target' fat loss. Your body metabolizes it from wherever it thinks is easiest - which means your gut is last.

This is the best program I have seen in about 10 years....
    http://www.goltv.ca/video/?video=109

My Ride

Originally posted by alloroc
    You cannot 'target' fat loss. Your body metabolizes it from wherever it thinks is easiest - which means your gut is last.

This is the best program I have seen in about 10 years....
    http://www.goltv.ca/video/?video=109
    That used to be the case. Some trainers are making it pretty good right now because of Hormonal Analysis.

This man in Particular is dominating:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/poliquin.php

Check out his Biosigniture Hormonal Analysis work. I'm on it right now, although a 'lite' version.

I'm getting tested again April 17th. I will compare my previous readings to the new ones and I will know exactly how much MORE fat was being lost from my target areas.

Just visually I can tell it's working so far.

Here's some more info on Biosig:

http://www.upfitness.co.uk/articles/...-poliquin.html
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    2003 MB E320

I had a similar problem and I saw the best results by doing intervals (running) and doing kettlebell workouts (24 kgs). Took a few months of a lot of sweating.

No more WoW or videogames.

That's my honest answer. Doing that alone will result in better sleep patterns, motivation, energy, mobility and an overall increase in your quality of life. No supplements or Gym membership required!
    Last edited by Wildcat; 04-09-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

My Ride

Originally posted by Wildcat

Actually that was probably the best thing I could have done for my Body composition. Dropped WoW and all other games.

Don't miss them at all anymore. Mind you that was 3.5 years ago.

People still play WoW?

-H.P. Lovecraft

It ironic cause i just got a PS3 yesterday for the sole purpose of playing street fighter and blu-rays lol

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

My Ride

Originally posted by Wildcat

That's my honest answer. Doing that alone will result in better sleep patterns, motivation, energy, mobility and an overall increase in the quality of life. No supplements or Gym membership required!
    Not trying to be mean but

You keep failing on attempts at a healthy life, because you have to change your entire lifestyle, not just work out for 15 mins doing pushups and lifting milk jugs.

Ditch video games. Its easy to tell WoW rules your life. There is a reason almost everyone that lives in front of a computer for a living has a gut or is out of shape. Get away from the computer and get outside. I dont eat healthy all the time. I drink, smoke, do a lot of unhealthy stuff. Yet I'm at least apperence wise, despite lazing up and not hitting the gym regularily, in great shape because I'm out daily, whether its running my dog, deciding to walk to school instead of driving, etc.

Clean up your diet a bit, but if you just ditch the comp and take up a daily outdoor activity you will notice a significant change in months.

Set your goal for the first month at just eating clean for every meal, cutting out soda completely, going out for a 20 minute walk every day, and doing 25 pushups (whether you can do em all at once or in chunks here and there). If you actually commit to this and dont see significant results I will buy you a years suscription to WoW, because there is no way you wont get results.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The OP mentioned going to the military. I looked at The Marines workout book, and its pretty intense. Almost all the exercises are bodyweight derived. You just need a bar or something to do pull/chin-ups on. Matt Furey also has an intense body-weight workout book.

I ditched the gym membership years ago and now follow this route. I can even do this on the road when I am staying in hotel rooms - I just use the bathroom door (as long as its strong enough) to do pull-ups.

My Ride

the op is clearly far away from doing pullups or a workout even close to what the marines do

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

3500 calories = 1 lb of fat

Figure out how many calories you need a day to maintain your weight (there are many online calculators).

Lower that by 250 - 500 calories / day.

Get at least 500 calories of exercise 3 times a week.

You can lose 1-2 lbs of fat per week that way. It is a lifestyle change.

Stop eating out.

Not convinced, watch this marketplace episode about how many calories there are in foods when you eat out.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/calorie_confidential/

Cancel your WoW account and you're halfway to a gym membership. Plus you'll have a lot more free time to go.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by 5hift
    the op is clearly far away from doing pullups or a workout even close to what the marines do
    It wont start out as a full on workout.

The level of progression for pushups for eg. is as follows:

1 standing against a wall pushing off (lean as much as you can)
    2 on your knees
    3 on your toes
    4 on your toes, with your feet elevated on a chair....

My Ride
    NC1

Get P90X and stick to it.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by benyl
    3500 calories = 1 lb of fat

Figure out how many calories you need a day to maintain your weight (there are many online calculators).

Lower that by 250 - 500 calories / day.

Get at least 500 calories of exercise 3 times a week.

You can lose 1-2 lbs of fat per week that way. It is a lifestyle change.

Stop eating out.

Not convinced, watch this marketplace episode about how many calories there are in foods when you eat out.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/calorie_confidential/
    haha yeah that's why I'm hitting weights 3X a week and cardio and badminton because I was just getting fucking fat. Being short is bad enough but short and fat = soooo.....by exercising, it offsets all the high calorie stuff I eat. I won't get ripped because the diet isn't there but at least it keeps the fat in check! lol

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by 5hift
    Its easy to tell WoW rules your life.
    So, because I know a lot about the game from being a former hardcore raider, and because I only play in the evenings, my life is ruled by WoW? Because I spend my saturdays walking down the park at the end of the road (Confederation Park) and generally trying to rebuild my stamina after a year off my feet due to medical circumstances, WoW rules my life?

Yeah...

I'm not trying to come off as condescending, just saying that you are judging this particular book by it's slightly colorful cover :P I will admit, having the signature that I do doesn't help matters, but I am strictly and only casual in WoW now.

I will admit, in the past it may have come off that I was a hardcore gamer, and I was. If you want the brutal honest truth, all I had was gaming for a while. Got me through a tough time, weird kinda crutch I know, but it did. It's a hell of a lot healthier than if I had taken up drinking, gambling, smoking, or any other vice that people have. But, now that I'm healed and healthy and no longer in agony every waking moment, I can be mobile again, and I am. I walk, I look forward to the snow melting away completely so I can bike again without getting mud all over me XD, and I do stretch daily in hopes of regaining my mobility and freedom of movement that has atrophied over a year of being able to do little to nothing at all regarding physical exercise.

Now that that is out of the way and over and done with, let's move on to the other items in the thread.

Set your goal for the first month at just eating clean for every meal, cutting out soda completely, going out for a 20 minute walk every day, and doing 25 pushups (whether you can do em all at once or in chunks here and there). If you actually commit to this and dont see significant results I will buy you a years suscription to WoW, because there is no way you wont get results.
    I accept your challenge. I am already walking 30-40 minutes a day, and I can do 15 flat palm pushups, with the hands under the shoulders, so I raise your challenge to 2x15 (30 total) per day. Sodas are already gone, I'm 95% water now, with a cup of tea with no sugar and a small dash of milk every evening, so consider that flavored hot water. As of Monday this past week, junk foods (even the "healthy" junk foods (like sunchips), which are the only types I've been having) are replaced with plain rice cakes. I have cut down my portions of each meal, and I am trying to adjust to having two small lunches instead of one to help my body adjust to smaller portioning.

To track the challenge, I will weigh every morning, as soon as I get out of bed, to get the best "empty weight." My subscription runs out May 15, so we'll set the end date at May 10 so that the results can be analyzed.

Matt Furey also has an intense body-weight workout book.
    Will look for it, I plan to lose the fat first, then work on cutting and trimming using body weight and natural resistances.
    Last edited by Vagabond142; 04-09-2009 at 04:54 PM.
    Geek

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by max_boost
    Get P90X and stick to it.
    Will look into it. No clue what P90X *IS*, but will look into it.
    Geek

My Ride
    NC1

With the weather warming up, no excuses, go out side and run. Lots and lots of cardio if you want to shed the weight!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Vagabond142

Will look into it. No clue what P90X *IS*, but will look into it.
    Get shredded in 3 months. If you have as much dedication to this like you do in WOW, you'll be seeing crazy results.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast