Quantcast
The Return to Fitness... (without a gym) - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Return to Fitness... (without a gym)

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Keep at it bud! The transition from walking to running is definitely a painful one, but it's also rewarding when you really start to see the fat trim down. Plus, it's kind of cool to be able to physically go where you want to a little bit quicker...

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by A790
    Keep at it bud! The transition from walking to running is definitely a painful one, but it's also rewarding when you really start to see the fat trim down. Plus, it's kind of cool to be able to physically go where you want to a little bit quicker...
    I'm wondering if light jogs EVERY day, or moderate jogs every OTHER day, will contribute more to my stamina and fat loss.
    Geek

My Ride

Originally posted by Vagabond142

I'm wondering if light jogs EVERY day, or moderate jogs every OTHER day, will contribute more to my stamina and fat loss.
    One thing that worked out really well for me is to avoid a set routine when it comes to cardio. I did light intensity after my weight days, and high intensity twice a week. Other weeks I'd skip light intensity and really ramp up my high intensity workouts.

I mixed it around a lot and found that my body was better able to approach whatever situation I put it in.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Well, I kinda took that advice and skewed it slightly sideways... I got my bike out, dusted it off (and took a couple years off my life with all that dust *cough*), oiled it up, serviced the brakes, gears, etc... and then rode for an hour...

OW... it's been years since I last cycled about, and wow... my legs are rediscovering the meaning of pain these days. But, it's a good burn, I'm getting some good exercise and cardio in, sweating me testicles off... d(^^ d) feels good.
    Geek

My Ride

Well, I kinda took that advice and skewed it slightly sideways... I got my bike out, dusted it off (and took a couple years off my life with all that dust *cough*), oiled it up, serviced the brakes, gears, etc... and then rode for an hour...

OW... it's been years since I last cycled about, and wow... my legs are rediscovering the meaning of pain these days. But, it's a good burn, I'm getting some good exercise and cardio in, sweating me testicles off... d(^^ d) feels good.
    Yea I remember when I got back on a bike and realized that I wasn't the 150lb kid I was the last time I rode one...

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by A790

Yea I remember when I got back on a bike and realized that I wasn't the 150lb kid I was the last time I rode one...
    I'm a 233 lbs adult riding a bike I had when I was 17 >.< (10 years ago). I'm surprised it still works as well as it does, but MAN my wrists are taking a beating because I haven't ridden in so long and there are no shocks on the bike.

On the other hand, I did about 3.5 hours worth of biking today while dropping off resumes, so I got a fuckton of KM's in. Downside: my legs are jelly. I can barely stand up straight. But my lungs are starting to cooperate, so one outta two ain't bad XD
    Geek

I commend you bud. Good for you, getting out there and working your ass off! You'll be thanking yourself when your gains become noticeable.

slight topic veer...A790, I am back in the gym now, working the weights back up after the rotator cuff BS...doing more cardio, tennis and yoga...I have NOT forgotten to keep at this...I want my effing six pack!! Oh and PM sent...

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Odd... I seem to be getting fitter, stronger, faster, etc... but mah belleh is still there, exact same measurements as before o_O

And I am portioning like a motherfucker, so I know my calories are in the "cutting zone" as talked about earlier in the thread o_O

Ah well. I've also changed my application to the CF... had a sitdown and chat with a PO2 at CFRC Calgary and decided to apply as an NCM NESOp (Naval Electronic Sensor Operator, the guys that run radar, sonar, and fire control systems (meaning I get to run the weapons, if I'm lucky ). Upside: much shorter wait. Downside: .... much shorter wait XD Gotta really get in gear now to get fit, could be going to BMQ in as little as 8 weeks if all goes well
    Geek

Belly will be the hardest and last to go....don't worry, stick with it. Get stronger, faster, fitter...healthier.

No where does it say you need a 6 pack to do what you want.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    Belly will be the hardest and last to go....don't worry, stick with it. Get stronger, faster, fitter...healthier.

No where does it say you need a 6 pack to do what you want.
    No, but having a 6 pack would be a point of pride... it'd also help getting some of those lovely Vancouver ladies :P (I am HOPING to get a West Coast posting (CFB Esquimalt)).
    Geek

6 pack is the hardest thing to get so don't gauge your progress solely on that...

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    6 pack is the hardest thing to get so don't gauge your progress solely on that...
    I know :P I already have a 6 pack, I just keep it warm under a quilt :P

Right now, as I keep saying, my focus is to beat the minimum standards for CF entry (19+ pushups without stopping, no time limit; 19+ situps in 60 seconds; stage 6.0 on a 20 meter shuttle run beep test, which approximates to 2.4km in 12 or less minutes)

Once in the forces, I want to work on further cutting and trimming as well as focused PT, because the field I'm going for has a LOT of sitting around watching screens
    Geek

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

I know :P I already have a 6 pack, I just keep it warm under a quilt :P

Right now, as I keep saying, my focus is to beat the minimum standards for CF entry (19+ pushups without stopping, no time limit; 19+ situps in 60 seconds; stage 6.0 on a 20 meter shuttle run beep test, which approximates to 2.4km in 12 or less minutes)

Once in the forces, I want to work on further cutting and trimming as well as focused PT, because the field I'm going for has a LOT of sitting around watching screens
    I'm not trying to troll your thread AT all, but do the Canadian Forces really only require 19 consecutive push ups in a row to qualify??? I would've thought it would be around a hundred!
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Canadian Army physical evaluation guideline;

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/LF/ENGLISH/1_3_1_5.asp

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by zipdoa

I'm not trying to troll your thread AT all, but do the Canadian Forces really only require 19 consecutive push ups in a row to qualify??? I would've thought it would be around a hundred!
    Zip... that's the MINIMUM. They do say that you should expect to do anywhere from 50-200 pushups or PT punishment stuff per day, not including the confidence course
    Geek

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

For those watching this thread, I've found a superb, military oriented workout routine that I think will be of great benefit. It's the development PT course for the toughest sons of bitches on the planet, the Royal Marines Commando. You do have to register to see it, at:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/royalmar...ning-tool.html

In "Weekly schedule," I'm looking at working up to the standards that they have outlined for the weekly regimen over the next 4 to 6 weeks. I'm continuing with the 100 pushups challenge in place of their pushups (pressups), but otherwise it's a much more comprehensive total body workout without the need for a gym. They also have good diet tips and great motivation stuff in the "State of mind" section.

They also, in the weekly schedule, have a "typical circuit" outline, and EACH EXERCISE is shown in a video (very helpful). Also, watch the pressups video, that guy does the best pushups (and the style that Canadian soldiers need to do) I have ever seen, bar none.
    Geek

okay. so I'll aim for 2.5k cal per day
    Depending on how much fat you need to lose, I would go with 2000 cals/day for 30 days, then when you want to gain mass, go up to 2500 cals for 30 days then to 3000 cals.

Those calorie intakes you read are usually for maintaining size and what not. Most importantly, I would do ratio (30% carbs, 20% fat, 50% protein) which would give you the best results in a short time frame as long as you are eating clean and working out.
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Dealer: Maybe that is what is going on. I can feel myself getting fitter and stronger, yet my stomach is still sitting there. I've cut out entirely anything high sodium, as well as killing off unnatural sugars (preserves, jams, etc). I'm almost entirely on eggs, bread, lean meats, green veggies and oats (in a variety of forms, but mostly just boiled and then eaten, sometimes in 1% milk if I want to give myself a little treat), as well as natural fruits (grapes and grapefruits being two majors).

cutting to 2k cals is going to take some adjustment, but starting next week I'll give it a shot. I'm regularly hitting 2.4-2.7 kcals a day with portioning, however I don't know exact exact amounts, because with cooking, everything changes size. But lots small portions of beef (ground beef, well drained of fat and then patted dry before being put into the foods that they go in (like pasta sauces made with fresh tomatoes and herbs, none of the canned or jar shit)), whole wheat pasta, etc. All in moderation. I also try to have a can of tuna, drained and then washed to get the sodium off, every week. Fish is good and has lots of protein, they just pack it in so much sodium o_O

Another thing I've found out is that sometimes, when my body tells me I'm hungry, I have a glass of water or milk and I'm no longer hungry. Odd o_O

EDIT: another thing... I think I've had a real mental shift, because I used to LOVE hamburgers, pizza, proper chips (french fries to you western language types), battered fish. Now, even the smell of a fast food place makes my stomach feel ill, and I can't stand crisps (potato chips) anymore. I can't even put one in my mouth, I actually tried and my brain just said "FUCK THAT!" It's a bit of a shock, but I know it's for the better.

Also, went to the fire station and had the blood pressure/cholesterol check. BP is 130/80, cholesterol is a little on the low unhealthy range but well within "worry limits," and my overall body health is "very good" as the fire paramedic told me that did the checks.
    Last edited by Vagabond142; 05-08-2009 at 09:06 PM.
    Geek

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Well, I just got back from measuring out a 13 km course (well, roughly, using my car's trip odo)... gonna start doing that every sunday. Canadian Forces recruits need to do 13km in full combat kit (I'll simulate as much as I can with increasing loads in a hiking bag) in less than 2h25m. First run through will be unloaded, and then every weekend, adding 10 lbs to the bag until it's at combat weight (39kg, approx 80 lbs)

So there's my goal. Starting next next weekend, 8 weeks to get to the forced march standard.

I'm starting to push a bit more because I got called by CFRC Calgary today saying that for the trade I applied for, dependant on when my file clears, and I do my final interview, CFAT and meds, I could be off to BMQ in as little as 12 weeks. The alternate is also true, it could be upwards of 8 months before BMQ. But I want to meet the standards that I have for myself this summer.
    Geek

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Okay, since I know some nutri-nuts (sorry for the terminology, but it fits) are watching this thread, and I'm not shy about asking even the weirdest questions. Over the past few days I've increased my consumption of potatoes. I used to do a couple of slices with my eggs in the morning, but as I'm starting to workout more, I looked up some healthy veggies and potatoes (boiled, and not covered in any topping) came out as a very good source of recovery protein and carbs. Now, the weird question: ever since I started doing half a potato every other day, my ass has been flapping like a flag in a strong wind. I don't think it's worth a trip to the dr's office yet, was just wondering if excessive flatulation comes from increased fiber, carbs and protein. Until now, most of my protein has been meat based, but Im trying to even that out against good veggies.
    Geek

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast