Quantcast
Cop Dragged During Traffic Stop - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cop Dragged During Traffic Stop

My Ride
    02 RSX Type-s

Default Cop Dragged During Traffic Stop

Wow thought I would only see this on Disorderly Conduct lol.....

Cop Dragged DuringTraffic Stop
    Originally posted by DeeK
    Fat girls need love too, they just have to pay for it.

My Ride
    NOYB.

Not the first time it's happened in Calgary - in fact, a Beyond member who is a cop made reference to being involved in a similar situation a while back.

Probably lucky the cop didn't ventilate him in order to get him to stop.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Definitely justifiable lethal force here, good on the cop (traffic asshole or not) for not poking some holes in him.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    You Crazy

You can get arrested for 'acting suspiciously'?

Did the guy have a record?

My Ride
    07 Ruckus, 05 Echo

When the driver tries to defend himself it's considered criminal, when the cop defends himself it's considered heroic, brave and justified. The story sounds fishy. The door shuts, the officer is dragged 200m, but then the officer was able to reach the brake pedal. I'm not sure how you can be dragged with the door shut and still have access to the brake pedal. It sounds like the officer attached himself to the vehicle, which isn't the same as being dragged.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by Toma
    You can get arrested for 'acting suspiciously'?
    That's exactly what I thought...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

You can get arrested for anything that the police can articulate a reason for.

Many cases an "arrest" is really a detention in the back seat of a squad car while the member checks out your story, history and preceding events, and then lets you out.
    Last edited by revelations; 04-10-2009 at 11:29 PM.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

^^ I think that's more along the lines of being "held" or "detained." Not actually arrested.

My Ride

I think there was a miscommunication somewhere with the media release.

You cant "arrest" someone for acting suspiciously, but you can detain them for a moment. The media has a hard time differentiating between the two.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by mx73someday
    When the driver tries to defend himself it's considered criminal
    Defend himself from what, exactly? Sounds like the officer was detaining the individual when he decided to make a break for it.

My Ride
    Exploded.

The story sounds fishy. The door shuts, the officer is dragged 200m, but then the officer was able to reach the brake pedal. I'm not sure how you can be dragged with the door shut and still have access to the brake pedal. It sounds like the officer attached himself to the vehicle, which isn't the same as being dragged.
    Thinking the same thing... How can he slap the brakes on when the door is closed as he was being 'dragged.'

My Ride
    You Crazy

I dunno... I mean, I have thought about this because it happened to me once... bear with me....

I got pulled over for supposedly running a stop sign, then as the cop is standing there watching, I open my glove box to get registration and insurance, cop freaks, thinking he saw something suspicious in the glove box, and yells at me to get out of my truck...

Now, I did , they pushed me against the truck, and then searched me and my glove box, of course finding nothing.

I was plenty pissed afterward, and thought to myself that next time I would NOT get out of my truck. I mean its a traffic stop for fuck sakes, you would think they would have to reasonable PROVE they had reason to be 'suspicious'.

So which makes you think... if you are a perfectly good, law abiding citizen, some cop pulls you over and starts harassing you, you refuse to be harassed, and he physically attacks you.... I mean... I think I would drive away if it happened to me again.

I dunno

luxor Guest

When the driver tries to defend himself it's considered criminal
    Umm defend himself?

NO, this is more like RESISTING ARREST, which is a criminal charge by the way.

What else?
    -Obstruction of justice
    -Aggravated assault
    -Assault with a weapon
    -Assault causing bodily harm
    -Assaulting a peace officer
    -Wreckless driving
    -Hit and run
    -Failure to remain at the scene of an accident
    -Ohh and SPEEDING

And whatever the fuck else he was trying to hide from the Police.

I wouldn't call that self defense, get your head out of your ass.

My Ride

Sounds like a panicked officer.

They certainly are well within their right to ask you to step out of the vehicle and search the area they thought they saw something, but its usually done in a calm manner - UNLESS you have been involved in other CPS dealings in the past.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I dunno... I mean, I have thought about this because it happened to me once... bear with me....

I got pulled over for supposedly running a stop sign, then as the cop is standing there watching, I open my glove box to get registration and insurance, cop freaks, thinking he saw something suspicious in the glove box, and yells at me to get out of my truck...

Now, I did , they pushed me against the truck, and then searched me and my glove box, of course finding nothing.

I was plenty pissed afterward, and thought to myself that next time I would NOT get out of my truck. I mean its a traffic stop for fuck sakes, you would think they would have to reasonable PROVE they had reason to be 'suspicious'.

So which makes you think... if you are a perfectly good, law abiding citizen, some cop pulls you over and starts harassing you, you refuse to be harassed, and he physically attacks you.... I mean... I think I would drive away if it happened to me again.

I dunno
    I understand your position but in the eyes of the law, that would be seen as 'resisting arrest'

At least I believe so. Or at least being uncooperative.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by flipstah

I understand your position but in the eyes of the law, that would be seen as 'resisting arrest'

At least I believe so. Or at least being uncooperative.
    This isn't a police state. Do citizens HAVE to tolerate being harassed for no reason? Don't cops have some sort of accountability, or are we at their whim?

Random searches?

Fuck that noise. And I was not being arrested of course, as far as I was concerned, I was being illegally searched.

My Ride
    Exploded.

This isn't a police state. Do citizens HAVE to tolerate being harassed for no reason? Don't cops have some sort of accountability, or are we at their whim?

Random searches?

Fuck that noise. And I was not being arrested of course, as far as I was concerned, I was being illegally searched.
    True and from further reading, the officer seemed nervous because paperwork is mostly placed in the glovebox.

Searches are only justifiable under certain grounds. What grounds, I dunno.

I'd follow the cops reasonable demands because they have a gun. And I don't.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Just reading the Canadian Charter of Right and Freedoms.....

10. Everyone has the right to on arrest or detention

a) to be informed promptly of the reasons therefor;
    b) to retain and instruct counsel without delay and to be informed of that right; and
    c) to have the validity of the detention determined by way of habeas corpus and to be released if the detention is not lawful.

and from Wiki....The right to consult a lawyer is considered to be important, and the courts have been understanding if, even in cases in which the person arrested or detained preferred not to see any lawyer, it is later argued section 10 is violated because the arrested or detained person did not know any better. This applies, for example, to cases in which the arrested or detained person has a low IQ.[1]

Section 10 has also been held not only to guarantee the right to see a lawyer, but also a right to be told that one may see a lawyer, a right to legal aid, and a right to be told that one may seek legal aid.[1] Although the right to counsel itself could be found in the 1960 Canadian Bill of Rights, the right to be told that one may see counsel is new to Canadian bills of rights. Indeed, in the Bill of Rights case Hogan v. The Queen (1978), the Supreme Court found the right to be told that one may see a lawyer did not exist even in a penumbra of the Bill of Rights. "In effect," Professors F.L. Morton and Rainer Knopff write, "section 10(b) of the Charter overrules Hogan."[2]

In R. v. Bartle (1994) the Supreme Court ruled that rights to be informed that one may seek counsel included rights to be told of duty counsel and how to obtain it (e.g., through a free telephone call).

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by flipstah
    I'd follow the cops reasonable demands because they have a gun. And I don't.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by badatusrnames

My joke not funny?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast