Quantcast
Impark attempting to charge for Motorcycle Parking? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Impark attempting to charge for Motorcycle Parking?

Originally posted by HHURICANE1
    ^ Because city council/Calgary Parking Authority are a bunch of money grubbing bastards out to grab any penny they can from the general public. If they can charge 3-4 bikes in the same space as a car/truck, so much the better.

I really don't like Impark either...

Originally posted by Thaco
    ok, so if i get a smart car, then i should only pay for half a parking spot on the street or in a lot because my car only takes half a spot...
    I find it hilarious that you think you're being funny/sarcastic, yet many progressive cities such as Victoria and San Fransisco have specific parking spots for smart cars that cost half as much as regular vehicles.

But of course something this brilliant would be lost on Calgary, the city of SUV drivers who get angered at the sight of smaller cars and motorbikes.

Originally posted by maZda3
    so ima stop talkin cuz its not me thats emberasing myself but you...so yea pce

My Ride
    WRX

haha yea good burn there thaco.

Do people even pay impark tickets anyway?

OP, by the way, this site is attempting to track all the ticket-free downtown motorbike parking spots.

http://www.albertamoto.com/index.php?topic=99.0

So if you see any more, post them up there.
    Originally posted by maZda3
    so ima stop talkin cuz its not me thats emberasing myself but you...so yea pce

The key to free motorcycle parking downtown is on private property - that way the city doesn't ticket you unless the owner specifically calls and complains. This doesn't work so well in Impark lots, obviously. This is why so many people park at the Spaghetti Factory - it's private property alongside the building, so the parking patrol can't do anything about it unless the Spaghetti factory complains. He hasn't complained yet, likely because it makes him look busy all the time, and there really isn't any other use for the stretch of pavement that the bikes all park on. Everyone knows about it though, so it fills up fast.

Update: Spaghetti factory posted notices on the side of the building (and left them on bikes parked there yesterday) that there was a complaint to the city and that the COC parking enforcement will be ticketing that space as early as this week. I'll provide a copy of the notice if I get another one today. If I have time after work I'll stop my the spaghetti factory and ask if the space is actually private properly. The City won't be able to ticket if the bikes aren't on the sidewalk.

And in the link to albertamoto someone mentioned that a bike specific happy hour was a good idea - I don't think I could disagree more - theres no need to endorse having a few beers and then hopping onto your bike for the commute home. If the bikes are making the place look busier, then set us up with a 10% off something on the menu and I'd be there in a heartbeat. TOSF has a great menu.
    Great scotch is great precisely because you drink it with great friends.

My Ride
    13 Cayenne Turbo

There are tons of spots where 1 bike can park safely, out of the way and not get tickets. The problem is there is generally only room for 1 bike, so defeats the purpose of me posting where so that my spot is taken :P

hint: Look beside impark lots on sidewalks out of the way, or in small spots in private lots that a car can't fit in.

I believe there are some spots under the stairs on 4th street between 4th and 5th ave. Saw some bikes parked there.

Another spot is just off of center st and the 2nd ave on the corner of the impark lot.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-13-2019 at 04:17 PM.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Thread summary:

Person A: "Bikes aren't classified differently from cars, so pay up."
    Person B: "The rules are stupid, I shouldn't have to follow them".
    lather, rinse, repeat

Whatever.

Do I think bikes should have to pay less? Probably.
    Do I think that it is possible to work out a fair deal? Probably.
    Is that the rule now? At Impark, no.

My point is this: Like it or not, we have to follow the rules. If you don't like the rules, then try and get them changed, but "not liking" a rule doesn't make you exempt. Changing that rule does.

Unfortunately, as everyone knows, getting Impark to change anything is damn near impossible.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by SportTwin
    Update: Spaghetti factory posted notices on the side of the building (and left them on bikes parked there yesterday) that there was a complaint to the city and that the COC parking enforcement will be ticketing that space as early as this week. I'll provide a copy of the notice if I get another one today. If I have time after work I'll stop my the spaghetti factory and ask if the space is actually private properly. The City won't be able to ticket if the bikes aren't on the sidewalk.
    I went by there today, and impark has posted that they're charging for parking alongside The Spagetti Factory where all the bikes used to park. Fucking assholes.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride

So, I called the Old Spagetti Factory and asked them about it, and apparently there was some complaints from the odd person about the bikes blocking the sidewalk. The manager told me that OSF didn't mind having the bikes there at all, but it's not up to them as it's not actually their property. He also tells me that currently it's all up in the air in discussions about who's land it actually is, CoC, Caddilac Fairview, or Imparks. Meanwhile, Impark has put up signs and it's current park at your own risk.

OSF unoffically would like to encourage the parking there, as they thought it was a nice feature as all the bikes there generally dressed up what was otherwise dumpy sidewalk.

So, in short, we should probably contact Alderman Farrell about this further.

Thanks.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

OP, you will find that whether you call the City or not, you will end up paying for it. There is no free ride in this world, and if you had it free all this time, count your blessings and prep the credit card. When you call the city and if/when it realizes that the spot is city property, you will see city signs come up as soon as you hang up the phone.

As for motorcycles paying 1/2 or whatnot, pay half if you are willing to share a car parking stall with another motorbike. You are paying for the parking spot, not being compensated for driving something that burns less gas. Do you pay less on your mortgage because you are not overweight or use less power? I don't think so. If you want to park parallel, all power to you - you get what you paid for.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by codetrap
    So, I called the Old Spagetti Factory and asked them about it, and apparently there was some complaints from the odd person about the bikes blocking the sidewalk. The manager told me that OSF didn't mind having the bikes there at all, but it's not up to them as it's not actually their property. He also tells me that currently it's all up in the air in discussions about who's land it actually is, CoC, Caddilac Fairview, or Imparks. Meanwhile, Impark has put up signs and it's current park at your own risk.

OSF unoffically would like to encourage the parking there, as they thought it was a nice feature as all the bikes there generally dressed up what was otherwise dumpy sidewalk.

So, in short, we should probably contact Alderman Farrell about this further.

Thanks.
    I agree with OSF, it give the building some character.

But it's likely that a few bad apples ruin it for everyone. Too many times bikes spill over to the sidewalk.

And I'm sure Impark wanting to charge for a long time now.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Noticed yesterday and today the new "Spaghetti Factory" spot is where the old Office Depot used to be, on 4th ave between 5th and 6th street. You're welcome
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Model S

I wonder why people care that other people can park for free. Do you have impark shares? Why on earth do you give a shit? Thumbs up if they manage to park without paying.

Originally posted by ee2k
    Do you pay less on your mortgage because you are not overweight or use less power? I don't think so. If you want to park parallel, all power to you - you get what you paid for.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Sign taken down at the Spaghetti Factory and a lot of bikes parked outside...I guess they told Impark to fuck off?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

I'll find out next week when I'm working DT again.. unless someone else stops at OSF for lunch this week and finds out.

I personally hope that OSF gave impark a lesson on sex and travel.

so there was free parking near the Five hotel beside the old office depot..

there is a sign there that says aug 1st.. they will start charging $10 bucks a day, or you will be towed.

Originally posted by msommers
    Sign taken down at the Spaghetti Factory and a lot of bikes parked outside...I guess they told Impark to fuck off?
    the bikers should keep taking down any signs that get put up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast