Quantcast
dune buggy or atv? which one is better? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: dune buggy or atv? which one is better?

My Ride
    mazdaspeed6/mkIII supra

Default dune buggy or atv? which one is better?

first off im pretty bored right now so i thought i would post this. anyway.....

i am looking to buy a new toy for myself and i really have no experience with either so i guess im looking for people that own either one or the other that might have so input.

like the title says i want to buy one or the other and the buggy i am looking at is this one
    http://gokartsusa.com/gk-31ktr-1000m...dunebuggy.aspx

looks pretty bad ass and its a manual tranny which could be fun but is there any good spots around here that i could take it to. there is also a turbo kit you can buy for it. watched some you tube vids and it looks like so much fun. plus it has 2 seats so i could take my gf with me or a buddy or whatever.

the atv im looking at is a used honda foreman 450 or 500. they are probly more versatile and can go farther into the bush but once again is the terrain around calgary better for a atv or a buggy? plus i could fit a atv in the back of my truck. no trailer needed!

2001 honda foreman 500. the price is $2500
    http://www.atvsource.com/manufacture...x500fa_red.jpg

any other pros/cons anyone can think of that will help make up my mind?

The versatility of an ATV is much better than a dune buggy. It's easier to haul, more maneuverable, and probably more capable than a buggy. Plus, I can't think of very many places you would be able to take a buggy, whereas you can take an ATV almost anywhere (hunting, camping, or just open land).

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

ATV, no question.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I'd go with the ATV. Its not Chinese made knock off crap...

If the Buggy used a decent Japanese made engine, sure, but they're just Chinese knock-offs of designs from other manufacterers.

Thats the deal breaker for me right there. Thats the reason I'd never buy a Hyosung bike, they just copy and paste other engine designs rather then design their own decent products.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    2014 Sierra, 87 cavi vert

Speed Doesn't kill, it's the sudden stop at the end.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I have a yfz450. I've never not had fun on it. Shit we've climbed 4 mountains with them now.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

that quad you posted is a utility machine for hauling, towing, doing work, etc. which is a different type of riding than you would be doing in that go kart, or a sport quad. what are you looking to do? if you just wanna tear shit up, get a smaller sport quad without those huge racks and fenders, etc.

edit: something like would seem to be more similar ride to that dune buggy than a utility quad (kinda ugly IMO, but you get the point):

Honda trx700xx

EDIT: but yea, i'd go for a quad myself. go karts/dune buggys are fun, but are big and heavy, don't handle that well, etc. they are cool if you build them yourself, or buy it for $500, but i would rather have a quad. plus, there is a shitload of aftermarket stuff for the brand name quads so it's simple to fix or improve shit when you get bored haha.
    Last edited by nonlinear; 04-15-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Get a side by side. Best of both worlds you're looking at.

My Ride
    mazdaspeed6/mkIII supra

well that was pretty unanimous! and yes all i really want to do is drive the shit out of it. my gf dad lives in the crows nest pass and her brothers have dirt bikes, so they know of a ton of trails and what not. i just dont want to spend a ton of cash on it.

any recommendations of what kind of quad i should get for under $5000? i need something that will basically go through anything! something designed for mud, trails, water and whatever else i can try and get through/over

thanks

Travis

My Ride
    Ferrari

Your best bet would probably be Kijiji. If your looking for a full size 4x4, probably in that price range maybe a Polaris Sportsman?

People give the Polaris mixed reviews, but its a pretty good machine. I bought a brand new 500cc one when the US dollar was low for $5500.

Otherwise I'd choose a Kawasaki brute force, or fork out the big bux for a Honda.

In 2WD world, theres only two choices as far as Im concerned. A Kawasaki 450 or a Yamaha Banshee. You can pickup a used Banshee (I dont think they accually make them anymore) for $3500. But get em soon before the prices rocket for summer!
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

^^sounds like great advice. i'm not familiar with sportsmans quads, but they kinda look like a nice compromise between sport and utility. they have small racks, and pretty good sized fenders (but not monstrous), but they still look light and agile. might be a nice choice. i haven't looked into the specs, though.

but yea, as to where to find one, check kijiji and is there an auto trader for atvs? maybe just check the autotrader site.
    Last edited by nonlinear; 04-16-2009 at 09:49 PM.

or, if your gf's brothers have dirt bikes, why not just get a dirt bike? can have major fun on those.

this is at repo.com

2007 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 - asking $3960

http://calgary.repo.com/details/34024

My Ride
    mazdaspeed6/mkIII supra

that thing looks bad ass. might go look at it

thanks

My Ride
    mazdaspeed6/mkIII supra

i went to look at it today and it was sold. but the guy said there bring 60 more quads in the next week or 2

My Ride
    Ferrari

Originally posted by nonlinear
    ^^sounds like great advice. i'm not familiar with sportsmans quads, but they kinda look like a nice compromise between sport and utility. they have small racks, and pretty good sized fenders (but not monstrous), but they still look light and agile. might be a nice choice. i haven't looked into the specs, though.

but yea, as to where to find one, check kijiji and is there an auto trader for atvs? maybe just check the autotrader site.

Sportsmans are (were) the most powerful quads on the market. The 800 does 0-60 in under 4 seconds. They are also the only quad where all 4 wheels turn un-aided. Other than that its a pretty basic machine and the dealer warrenties them pretty good too.

Only trouble with them that I found is it torque steers like a bastard in AWD. You have to fight it all the time if your in AWD because its locked in the front, so its constantly trying to straighten itself. Your shoulders throb at the end of the day.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

to the OP: ATV all the way.

you are trying to choose between two different worlds...a dune buggy is for tearing shit up while a Honda foreman is for hauling firewood.

i have a yamaha raptor 700R, which is a two wheel drive 700cc electronic fuel injected monster. there is no motorsport in the world that comes close to the fun you can have on a two wheel drive sport quad. all the fun of shifting and revving of a dirtbike, yet you also get the drifting aspect since you have four wheels.

unfortunately mines for sale because i have to pay for my car but the few times that i did get to ride it, were the funnest times iv had on anything. iv ridden side-by sides, trikes, dirtbikes, home made go karts, and nothing comes close to having a sport quad in a massive gravel pit.

to Alak: a sportsman 800 may have the largest engine, but 0-60 in 4 seconds is slow compared to my rappy

My Ride
    Ferrari

I raced a raptor once on an 800. In 4wd I stayed in front until I ran out of top end, around 50 or so MPH. It was close, but as soon as the transmission started to level out, he was gone.

Good times hahaha. I been lookin at maybe a brute force. Thinkin of getting back into quads.