Thread: NBA playoffs?

My Ride
    the ladies crazy!

Whoever thinks nba is rigged is a total douche
    Life is a Gamble.

My Ride
    95 Stealth RT/TT, '72 Duster

Originally posted by 5hift
    I also never said the playoffs are outright rigged, Im guessing there is a lot of pressure put on the refs to make sure the big market teams (Lakers) are in the finals.
    Does Stern want L.A. in the finals? Damn straight he does. Does he want a Kobe/Lebron finals? Damn straight he does.
    Do the stars get the calls? I remember the calls during the Phoenix/Chicago finals, I remember Jordan literally slapping Kevin Johnson's arm to steal the ball, and I remember Charles Barkley making a 'gun' with his finger and blowing away the referees during one of the games (an awesome moment, which would now get you a lifetime ban undoubtedly). I've seen the calls Kobe and Lebron get. Damn straight the stars get the calls.
    Do they try to affect the games to get the matchup they want? No. No, they don't. They can't risk coming up with a 'plan' to get certain teams through and have it made public (the same argument I use whenever someone says that 9/11 was planned by the U.S. government, but that's for a different thread lol).

My Ride
    Civic

Originally posted by bubbley
    You should take a quick look back at the finals. Cavs vs Spurs, when the refs who reffed that series were part of a betting scandal. NBA like everything is run by politics, how to make the most money. If its the NBA or if its the big time loan sharks that threaten lives, one way or another people try their best to get the outcome they want.

I would like to believe they arent rigged, but its a business just as much as entertainment.

EDIT*

Im not trying to say the NBA itself rigs the Playoffs, but there are alot of other factors that can affect the outcome.
    Last edited by jumperman8; 05-28-2009 at 02:48 PM.
    C-23-H

My Ride

Tinfoil hat is back on so I thought I'd add to the convo:

I dont recall ever saying there is a huge conspiracy theory by David Stern and the NBA to ensure specfic teams make the finals. I was saying it is clearly in the NBA's best interest that certain markets are consistently in the finals, and that appears to show in officiating, as it appears that refs look the other way certain times, while make other calls every time.

I like how no one actually addressed my arguement, but just attacked the poster and quoted up stuff that doesnt really apply to what I'm saying. Did anyone actually watch the Sac/LA series or the Portland/LA series back a few years. Anyone who actually watched the series will acknowledge the one side officating. The head ref for those series was caught for fixing games. He admitted to attempting to control the outcome of those games. How do you deny after knowing this, that the integrity of the NBA officiating will always be fair? Are you that really naive to believe that an point fixing scheme was entirely hatched and run by one NBA ref individually?

My Ride
    charger R/T w R&T, soon 2010 camaro

mike brown should just bench lebron for the rest of the game lol

my friend from Denver played golf this afternoon... guess who was in the group behind him... JR Smith... haha, lol

My Ride

Originally posted by holden
    my friend from Denver played golf this afternoon... guess who was in the group behind him... JR Smith... haha, lol

My friend from LA was standing in the lineup at McDonalds today, guess who was behind him ... Jessica Alba ... haha, lol. He asked her for her number but she was like I would but my man's right there so it'd look bad.

Nuggets played late last night in LA, meaning they flew to Denver this morning most likely. They have a game tommorow as well, meaning he doesnt even have a full day to recover between games. I seriously doubt during a western conference final, with his body beat up from a long season and playoffs, he'd be out on the links on some public golf course.

My Ride

is it ok to ram into a guy get him fouled?

My Ride
    Civic

Originally posted by banned3x
    is it ok to ram into a guy get him fouled?
    huh?

Cavs continued to play well. The role players are playing their rolls. This is the cavs team we saw all season and first two rounds. Next game will be very interesting
    C-23-H

My friend from LA was standing in the lineup at McDonalds today, guess who was behind him ... Jessica Alba ... haha, lol. He asked her for her number but she was like I would but my man's right there so it'd look bad.

Nuggets played late last night in LA, meaning they flew to Denver this morning most likely. They have a game tommorow as well, meaning he doesnt even have a full day to recover between games. I seriously doubt during a western conference final, with his body beat up from a long season and playoffs, he'd be out on the links on some public golf course.
    Dude, it's JR Smith. I don't really doubt it... lol. If it was Kobe or someone else that mattered, I'd have my doubts.

haha, i can't guarantee the validity of his facebook status updates, but my friend was on the course from 6-8 pm.... plus, the nuggets would have flown out last night... the game ended at like 8:45 PM local time, which means they could have left LA in their chartered jet before midnight... practices usually run in the late morning or early afternoon... i don't expect JR Smith to be the kind of guy to stick around in the gym... plus at 25 minutes per game, i think his body can handle it...

I forgot why I lost interest in the NBA, but now I remember, it’s because of how the league tries to get LA in the finals as much as possible for the ratings boost, and how the Lakers 3 peat was a fixed bunch of B.S. Timothy Donaghy admitted to fixing the 02 Western Conference finals, saying he was forced to from higher up. Sacramento was robbed in a 7 game series as well as Portland for two consecutive series. NBA is reaching WWE levels of quality – all about the hype and big names. It couldn’t be more obvious that the NBA wanted a Lakers/Cavs final if David Stern leaked a internal memo warning the refs which teams should win.

Now back to tonight

Once again, the NBA’s integrity problem came up. Nuggets were they robbed by referees who gave favorable calls to a marquee franchise that pumps up national television ratings. Its so obvious the league wants to see Kobe in the NBA Finals rather than the tattooed 'thugs' of Denver.

This was the first playoffs in a long time that I actually watched the majority of the games during every round and there were some great series and games. But, the refs were so pro Lakers in game 5 it was ridiculous. Billups getting a offensive push off on a clear layup and foul. No calls on Laker hacks under the Denver basket all game. Phil Jackson complaining about the calls in game 4 and getting all of them in game 5. The NBA wanted Lakers and Cavs final, it looks like they're not getting the Cavs, so they're going to make damn sure they get the Lakers for TV ratings. If the Cavs win 3 straight to face the Lake Show in the finals, the NBA is more fixed than a Vince McMahan fight.
    To be honest I don't really remember those series as that was quite awhile ago. But in all seriousness you are going to believe a guy who was going to be indicated on felony charges trying to get a lesser sentence. How do you give the guy any credibility, come on he was on his last legs to get a better plea bargain.

Obviously the layoff of watching games has caused you to completely forget the rules. If you think that the Lakers have been given an advantage in this series you clearly do not know basketball. First of all I don't know how many of Andersen's so called "blocks" in this series have involved him clearly hitting body and forearm. How many foul shots has Melo got this series off the weakest fouls ever? There were so many times where he obviously initiated contact leaning his shoulder into a man with his arms straight up and got the basket and the foul call. In Game 5 how many times did Kobe drive clearly get hit on the forearm loose the ball and no call. Did you not watch game 4, the reffing was so bias to the Denver side. How many times has there been obvious flagrant fouls committed by the Nuggets that have been missed but somehow Bynum got one (that was rescinded) for going for the ball. The Billiups play was the wrong call but honestly that play happened so quickly how can you fault the refs those kind of calls happen all the the time. Sure you can complain and moan about it but come on you are watching it in slow motion. In my opinion basketball is one of the hardest games to officiate. The quickness of the plays and the fact that even the smallest contact on the forearm can alter a shot dramatically. Also a refs angle on the play affect his ability to see the fouls; its tough to see a lot of fouls in the paint just because of all the bodies you have to see through.

What I think you should be looking at is how the Nuggets undisciplined and stupid play has cost them this series. How many stupid fouls have they taken in key points in the game (K-Mart, Nene, Kleiza etc.)? How many times have they screwed up INBOUND plays down the stretch? Even more so what the hell have they been doing in the 4th quarter, Chauncey Billiups and J.R. Smith have been putting some of the stupid shots ever. Early in the clock, the defender coming over top of the screen and they still decide to throw up a 3. You have to be kidding me, the only people who helped the Lakers win this series is the Nuggets.

My Ride
    Civic

All i can really say on this other then my first post is this, You can only rig a sporting event so much. There are to many uncontrollable factors involved. David Stern has 0 control over how well a team can play. They could call everything against a team, but if that night they shoot the lights out, its not going to make a difference.

So you could say teams and organizations could all be apart of the big picture. Anyone who is a athlete loves to compete, and if they were told to throw a game or something similar, no matter how much money they offered you, as a athlete you would be completely torn and i could near guarantee they wouldnt do it.

So Franchises could be involved telling their coachs to play so and so at certain times or something. No, this would be rediculous to believe. How could you think this when there are franchises losing money and other making money. No owner wants to lose money by being apart of some big NBA Scam, that in itself is not smart business.

I think we all should just get back on topic, the Playoffs, talk about games, shots etc etc

Watch Basketball for what it is there for, entertainment, all you do by trying to dig up some dirt is ruin the game for yourself and others. You wont be able to enjoy anything because all you will be thinking is "o the nba is fixed"

If cleveland wins their series its because they played better at the right time. Likewise for the other series. Its completely on the players and coachs.

Not to mention, Orlando vs Denver would still get a hell of alot of press and make a hell of alot of money for the NBA. Orlando has not made it to the finals in 10 years or more. Both teams are very exciting to watch and both teams have more then marketable players. Ya sure, Lebron vs Kobe would be the top match up, MVP vs MVP, who is the best blah blah blah, at the end of the day teams win championships and people who love the NBA will watch the finals either way.

And as far as missed calls or calls not being made or being made. If you play sports, you know, that if you rag the refs enough they will make your life a living hell. You dont get to hear everything said on the floor, so never really know what is causing plays to be missed or what not. its the nba, the players are not the only guys to have massive EGOS!
    C-23-H

My Ride

are lakers going to finish it tonight? hope so

My Ride

Originally posted by malcolmk14

Dude, it's JR Smith. I don't really doubt it... lol. If it was Kobe or someone else that mattered, I'd have my doubts.

Originally posted by holden

haha, i can't guarantee the validity of his facebook status updates, but my friend was on the course from 6-8 pm.... plus, the nuggets would have flown out last night... the game ended at like 8:45 PM local time, which means they could have left LA in their chartered jet before midnight... practices usually run in the late morning or early afternoon... i don't expect JR Smith to be the kind of guy to stick around in the gym... plus at 25 minutes per game, i think his body can handle it...

I realize its just JR Smith, but from what I've seen most players, even bench warmers, commit a ton of time to the game especially in the west finals. I was watching a behind the scenes thing following the Lakers this year and they were showing some of the players who never see the court, spending 3 hour practicing shooting, and 2 hours of viewing gametape. They have curfews, required meal times etc.

That said, I take it back, as I'm probably wrong and dont doubt your friend's statement now as I looked into it. I dont know how he has the time for it, but it seems to be true:

"DENVER -- A photo in the Denver Post Monday sparked my curiosity. It showed the Nuggets' J.R. Smith waiting out a rain delay on a golf course Sunday, the off-day between Games 3 and 4 of the Western Conference finals.

This was hardly news, as NBA players are spotted on golf courses all over the Western Hemisphere this time of year. But they're usually NBA players whose teams are getting ready to exercise a lottery pick, not compete in the conference finals.

Smith, one of the stars of Denver's Game 4 victory with 24 points off the bench -- including 4-of-9 shooting from 3-point range -- walked down the hallway toward the arena exit after the game cradling his infant daughter in one hand and a sleeve of golf balls in the other. He'd just met with a few military service men and women outside the Nuggets' locker room, a nod to the Memorial Day holiday. They'd given him the golf balls, which were inscribed with the U.S. Army logo.

"I play golf before every game," Smith said. "You get out there and focus on something else for a second, relax, and then come in here at night and go to work. I think it helps me focus more because I'm not really thinking about it throughout the whole day and then by the time I’m here, I’m well rested and the game is the only thing that’s on my mind."

Wait a minute, I said. You played golf yesterday and today?

"Yup," Smith said. "I got rained out on the second hole yesterday. I played 15 today."

Michael Jordan was perhaps the most avid NBA golfer of his generation, but to my knowledge, he never played on a game day -- especially during the playoffs. Blackjack the night before, perhaps, but not even M.J. could squeeze a round of golf in between shootaround and Game 4 of the conference finals. I don't know what this means, except that J.R. Smith is A) A better golfer than I am (his handicap is 10); and B) Makes much better use of his time.

"

Thats why I was doubtful, even Jordan didnt play golf during playoffs as he couldnt squeeze in time btw games.

Originally posted by bubbley
    are you kidding me? have you been following basketball at all the last couple of seasons? it's pretty to clear to me (and i'm a HUGE lebron fan) that david stern is doing everything in his power not only to hype lebron, but to make the officiating work in the cavs' favor.
    There have been so many disgusting calls as of late in games that are clearly lopsided that no real basketball fan would argue against as absolutely retarded calls. People are finally starting to catch on to the horrible officiating too. It's almost gotten disgusting to the point where many of my friends refer to the NBA as the WWE...

I have a feeling that david stern is going to do everything in his power to get the cavs to beat the orlando. I mean the reffing against orlando and dwight howard specifically has already been terrible, so many phantom calls.

It's just sad to see because I'd like to believe that the cavs COULD beat orlando without help from the refs, but their sloppy play at times along with their undersized matchup problems have cost them games

My Ride

wow first celtics now this damn! well good luck for them im done with the nba till next year. i dont care about lakers and orlando.

^^ You are a great fan.

Very happy the Magic won, I don't think LeBron is going to stay in Cleveland. He will go wherever he thinks he can win a championship. I predict Lakers will beat the Magic in 5, going to be fun to watch Superman against Gasol.

My Ride
    Acura TL, 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

Originally posted by beecue
    ^^ You are a great fan.

Very happy the Magic won, I don't think LeBron is going to stay in Cleveland. He will go wherever he thinks he can win a championship. I predict Lakers will beat the Magic in 5, going to be fun to watch Superman against Gasol.
    Gasol got nothing on Superman. I'd say Magic in 6 on this one. There is no way Lakers can win.

Originally posted by beecue
    ^^ You are a great fan.

oh and superman is gonna dominate the spaniard

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast