Quantcast
Thinking of moving to the darkside. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thinking of moving to the darkside.

I've owned my car for nearly 2 1/2 years before thinking about selling.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

Originally posted by you&me
    I didn't think you were making a direct comparison, but I am still surprised you were at all impressed. I have never gotten the impression of speed from an S2000...

I know it's all relative, but on a scale of 1-10, the S2000 feels like a 3, maybe 4. It just doesn't give any kick in the pants. Now, if you're used to something that is a 1 or 2 out of 10, then it will feel fast, but your M5 is much higher on the scale, so I'm just surprised you could even feel it.
    Well you're sitting a lot lower, and the suspension is far more firm. The car is much lighter as well. It's the sensation of going fast.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

My Ride
    Pos

Thanks Guys,

Let's Not turn this into another Honda Vs Another Car Market Fight.

i just want your over all review of the S2000. Well the whole power thingy is kindda ok with me. i am Used to slow car, so this doesn't really bother me.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Originally posted by Dope7
    Thanks Guys,

Let's Not turn this into another Honda Vs Another Car Market Fight.

i just want your over all review of the S2000. Well the whole power thingy is kindda ok with me. i am Used to slow car, so this doesn't really bother me.
    My over all review of S2000: I have driven way faster cars, but I still think it is one of the funnest cars you can own. By far one of my favorite cars! Which is why I've owned three of them

I say go buy one!

My Ride
    S13, AP2, Escape Hybrid

Don't know why there is so much hate for the S2000. Also driven faster, more powerful cars but I don't think this car was built for that. I have a pretty stock AP2 and love it. Its pretty much tops for what its built for and in its class.

I was steered by a fellow S2k owner into an AP2 for its daily drivability. The power is adequate and pretty zippy when reved up. For the 2.2L anyway. Can't speak for the 2L. Suspension is pretty harsh and find myself cringing when accidently hitting potholes and so on. Ok for practicality. I daily drive mine in summer and take it golfing, shopping, whatever. My only problem with the S2k is the softop. Poorly designed imo. I'd watch out for wear and tear leading to an eventual rip. I found this out a bit too late.

Everything about the car resembles a go-kart, including the engine. If the power doesn't bother you, then go for it. I traded cars with a friend with a S2000 for a week, and I found it to be so gutless, but still fun. But the things that bothered me were 1) lack of power 2) road noise 3) bland interior 4) horrible blind spots with the top up 5) uncomfortable. That's not to say I hated the car though.

My Ride
    NC1

Always thought the dark side means going to FI? lol

Anyway, I've said it before, the S2K is like a hot chick that you want to bang occasionally and live with for a short duration but after awhile you just to move on. That's why everyone keeps buying, selling and re-buying them *ahem, 4doorj*
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    is in storage, due to the recession!!!

Come over to the darkside, we have cookies... hahahaha
    Welcome brother...

Originally posted by max_boost
    Always thought the dark side means going to FI? lol

Anyway, I've said it before, the S2K is like a hot chick that you want to bang occasionally and live with for a short duration but after awhile you just to move on. That's why everyone keeps buying, selling and re-buying them *ahem, 4doorj*
    my question is... why would you want to live with a chick you want to bang occasionally?

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by buh_buh
    my question is... why would you want to live with a chick you want to bang occasionally?
    I asked that question a million times mate...A MILLION TIMES!!!!

I've only owned mine since October and right from the test drive, I knew that the power would not do so that's why I started slowly buying parts for my turbo kit. The kit is done mind you I need to get it tuned so we'll see if the turbo kit will alleviate the paucity of ponies under the hood!!

As for the car itself, love the look, love the handling and I love the essence of it; however, it's as buh_buh said, the blind spots are horrible (but with a nice rear view, they're tolerable), the seats are very uncomfortable for long durations of driving, there is a lack of luxuries in the car, namely: no tilt, no heated seats, no heated mirrors and no rear speakers (I added some to mine though).

Overall, I love the car and can't wait to actually get my boost gauge into the positive numbers but will have to wait about another week!!

When it was NA, revving it that high always got me on edge and I'm not used to it and always felt like I was running out of room; however, I do love the feeling of the top down and just cruising!!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Pos

damn i just test drove one last week, let's just say my 7's feels faster than the S2k off the line, and my car is well over 4000lbs dunno about that right now, i am more into the E46 M3 right now.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Boost or bust in an S2K.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

I've enjoyed the S2000 very much, and have owned one for about 7 months (most of those parked, however). It is a 2004 (AP2) S2000.

1) You will absolutely need a winter/daily-driver car if you get this car. If you get a daily driver that seems more like a compromise than a solution, you better make sure you like the s2000! Otherwise you might be stuck with 2 cars you don't like. Going from a performance BMW to a revvy 4-banger...make sure you do your research. Completely different cars built for completel different purposes!

2) I drive a Honda Fit, which suits my lifestyle perfectly. I don't see it as a compromise as it is amazing on gas and hauling around cargo (and people). In fact, owning an s2000 has made me appreciate the Fit more. If you get an s2000, make sure you get a car that is the direct opposite of it as a daily driver - something that holds cargo, is good on gas and is super reliable (not to say the s2000 isn't).

3) Now, I'm not going to call the s2000 a torque monster but it definetely has plenty of pick-up if you're talking about driving on the street. Now, it's not because I drive a Fit that it makes me believe that the s2000 has tonnes of power. Perhaps it's the modifications done from AP1 to AP2 to give the s2000 better low-end acceleration. Many cars in it's class have the s2000 beat in 0-60 times. To some people, 0-60 times are be-all, end-all...heck I like powerful cars too. However, the s2000 is not a slow car as you can't just judge speed by how fast you go in a straight line. There's plenty of power for your spirited commute to work or your exhilarating trip on the open roads in the mountains. Many of the guys who have posted have driven or own 500 whp cars and I can understand their feelings as its all about perspective. I personally have not owned a car that powerful yet, and don't really care to so much.

4) Yes, other cars have more power...even more doors and a nicer interior at the same time. But the s2000 is a great track car too - it's probably a great track car above anything else, as it relatively more purpose-built for this than some of the other cars mentioned in this thread. You will have the most fun around bends, corners, meanders and so on. Not many people in this thread have praised the handling of the car - which is arguably the best feature of the car and blows other cars in it's class (and well above it) out of the water in this category. Many famous tuning companies have the s2000 as their choice-car for competitions, and it's not because it comes with air-conditioning (which it doesn't, in the CR haha). Most of these tuners have opted for weight reduction instead of FI, as the stock engine unit is so well engineered. I can't wait to take my car to the track, it's one of the things I look forward to most.

5) All in all, the s2000 is an amazing car but you will need to take steps or make some changes to enjoy owning one. You will have to deal with having 2 cars. The s2000 has a very basic (but extremely well designed) interior, with the AP2 upping the ante in this category. Road feel and ride stiffness will increase significantly (with the usual pros and cons). I'm a little bit biased, I love the car and I hope you get one. If you are at peace with the points I mentioned earlier, I can't see why you won't like an s2000. Oh, and the ladies love it! But only get one if this is the right car for you (and not just for the ladies)!

I hope my post, from the perspective of an AP2 owner, has helped.
    Last edited by Skyline_Addict; 04-27-2009 at 01:44 AM.

My Ride
    is Turbocharged.

^ Great review.

Anyways my bro had a s2k and I have driven faster cars then the s2k but the fun factor on the s2k is way to sweet. Its a nice and raw car and thats what made my pants drop everytime I drove it.. GET IT!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2