Quantcast
Pyramid Scheme meeting tonight? - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Scheme meeting tonight?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by KRyn
    Gah, one of my old friends has gotten involved with American Communications Network. A MLM system that sells cell phone, home phone, internet and television services. He is under the impression that he will make his first million by the time he is 30. He also went on to tell me he was going to gross over $8,000 in his fist month of selling contracts and recruiting.

He has begun to cold call everyone and anyone he can. Leaving desperate voice mails to meet for 20 minutes to explain a life changing opportunity. I hope he gives up soon. I am sick of hearing about how I am missing out every time I see him.
    Does his name start with a J by any chance?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by GS430
    Kloubek, as a self titled "fairly intelligent guy", did you not see something odd about a random stranger asking you to be his business partner?

Business relationships aren't created in the setting of a clothing store, in a span of a few minutes. If he had anything credible or promising, why would he share his possible wealth with a random?

IMO, if it's too good to be true, it usually is.
    Of course it is unusual - but you need to make contacts somehow. Are you saying that business relationships have never been formed from a random encounter? That's a pretty close-minded perspective if you ask me. I'll be honest and say that while I went into this not expecting anything significant to pan out, the whole MLM pitch didn't at all cross my mind until the meeting.

Given my expertise with a shopping site that makes over 15 million a year and the fact he claimed he was opening an online shopping site, it seemed like a pretty logical connection at the time given the lack of information provided.

Nothing presented was "too good to be true" until the claims were made by his partner... it initially simply appeared like a business start-up. When we set up the meeting, I was going in expecting that they would desire to utilize my online shopping knowledge in some manner in exchange for a piece of their pie.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 06-17-2013 at 10:48 AM.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by LongCity

Does his name start with a J by any chance?

It doesn't, his first name starts with an A and his last name a L. Maybe they are in business together though. My friend has attempted to convert everyone he knows. A few of the early converts have all quit their jobs and are clan members full time now. Scary stuff! He still asks me just to come to a meeting to support him. I will likely go for some giggles.

He is part of a team called Legacy Global.

http://thatphonething.ca/

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by trollolhah
    I've been to one, a meetup for Vemma.

It reached Calgary a couple months ago, a drink that focuses on supplying ample amounts of vitamins and main ingredient is mangosteen.

Two main products are Vemma and Verve, Vemma being the main product and Verve the energy drink version.
    there is a guy over in the wakeboard thread. always inviting people out to ride behind his malibu... who claims verve paid for his boat. i really want to go riding... but not if i have to hear about an MLM scheme the whole time

Originally posted by ndhal417

Pretty much the same stuff just a different business. I think Primerica is more like world financial group where you tell people you can get out of debt and be your own boss but really what you sell them some bogus insurance or something.
    This guy keeps on asking me if he can get vacation time and time off in the evenings to go to these meetings and I always joke around asking him how was the cult meeting. He even paid money to go down to this convention they have in Atlanta last week.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by trollolhah
    I've been to one, a meetup for Vemma.

It reached Calgary a couple months ago, a drink that focuses on supplying ample amounts of vitamins and main ingredient is mangosteen.

Two main products are Vemma and Verve, Vemma being the main product and Verve the energy drink version.
    I thought Youth Juice was supposed to provide all that?

A friend tried to get me on that years ago and more recently another one was involved with Body by Vi (Visalus) lol

I LOL at all of them.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Ya it's the same junk as Mona Vie. Just repack the stuff and MLM it.

I agree, that I can't believe the Mormon connection to all these suppliment, youth juice MLM's.

What about those Jewellery parties, kitchen supply parties that girls always host. It seems so dumb to have the host get a kick back by pony'ing up alll her friends so she can get a discount because she hosts it?!?
    It's not like everyone on here is hosting a Snap On tool party to get a kickback to line his garage with great tools. So why do women go for these?

Originally posted by mr2mike
    So why do women go for these?
    Because they don't figure that out until they've been to one, and as soon as you go to one, everybody there is obligated to go to one that another girl hosts.

Or else she's such a slut.

I worked with this 4th yr mechanic just finishing his j-man ticket.... Had a decent gig at this shop.. He wasnt a hack by any means took his time and was very good with a wrench.... We had lunch together one day and he pulled the "hey you seem like a guy who wants to run his own business?" of course i bit as i thought he was proposing opening up a shop.... but sadly no he tried to sell me the "Amway" dream. He told me he was going to be quiting in about 3 mos to go full time and give up being a J-man mechanic... I was completely flabbergasted..

I literally begged him to reconsider and told him about the countless people that did what hes about to do but he wasnt hearing it. He was soo drunk on the Amway koolaid he couldnt and wouldnt listen to reason. This was 2 Yrs ago now i havent seen or heard from him hopefully he stayed being a mechanic and made an honest real money making job not that garbage

Bumping an old thread but Im sitting in an Amway meeting right now. Like another poster...lured in by Jon and Julie Stockdale. Im usually pretty good at spotting these MLM schemes but I have to admit it was really well done due to the personalized touch from Jon befriending you. Jon approached me randomly and we've met for coffee and lunch. Got an invite to their "Freedom Party" which to be honest sounded legit until 45 mins into the presentation until my spider senses kicked in and the presenter started referencing Amway.

Surprisingly, a Google search only yielded this thread referencing this guy.

Anyone else have stories about this couple?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Jesus christ this thread brings back an awful lot of bad memories. Fuck.

Bit of an update. That Andrew Yip quit quixtar (not surprisingly) and now is back to working one of those typical "burger king" type jobs that he held in so much disdain prior. I think if he keeps at it he will some day be able to afford another base model civic livin' the dream eh? You betcha! That's sure worked out well for you I can see.

You can watch him him on various videos if you check out minor hockey leagues in Calgary.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 06-24-2015 at 10:59 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Toyota’s

First red flag: getting invited to a meeting like that

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Jesus christ this thread brings back an awful lot of bad memories. Fuck.

Bit of an update. That Andrew Yip quit quixtar (not surprisingly) and now is back to working one of those typical "burger king" type jobs that he held in so much disdain prior. I think if he keeps at it he will some day be able to afford another base model civic livin' the dream eh? You betcha! That's sure worked out well for you I can see.

You can watch him him on various videos if you check out minor hockey leagues in Calgary.
    Thats pretty funny .... at one point "Yiptech" was renting various ice surfaces for "beginner" hockey - where he would sometimes take the puck from his own team mates and score a goal.

Originally posted by birdman86
    First red flag: getting invited to a meeting like that
    Haha yea and I feel like a total noob! This guy is good though...befriends you first and only humbly brings up his entrepreneurial side with faint psycological queues hinting about their wealth. We met up a few times for coffee/lunch and I still didnt actually understand the nature of his business in terms of where the cash flow comes from other then it "runs itself". I thought he was just being humble haha!

The "party" I was invited to was worded as more of a retirement celebration rather then a typical get rich quick scheme. The party did start feeling weird because this "mentor" guy kept talking about how they were so successful and free. Didnt actually even mention Amway until sitting through maybe 45 mins into his BS. Only then did I whip out the phone, and Google to find this thread.

Watch out for Jon and Julie Stockdale guys...this is probably the most professional of the MLM guys I have ever encounteted!
    Last edited by nobb; 06-25-2015 at 06:07 AM.

These guys ?

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/jonandjuliestockdalecalgary
    https://twitter.com/jonstockdale
    https://ca.linkedin.com/pub/julie-stockdale/87/51b/443
    https://jonstockdale.wordpress.com/

I haven't had one of these for a while, but last year i was in Yoga.

Guy comes up to me in the locker room, starts shooting the shit. Overall being friendly, strangers always talk to me so I could care less. We start talking he asks what do I do, then asks if it pays well. Usually people will then ask the other party what they do when they get asked that. So I do.

He mentions to me he is a Life Coach and offers mentoring to others. I say awesome, and leave to sit in the front.

He comes back out and he starts chatting up some more, explaining that he owns his own business. His wife comes out, I notice a huge ass rock on her hand. He then asks if i would like to come for coffee blah blah, he asks for my number so I give it to him.

Few days later he rings me up shooting the shit and when I would like to meet. Tells me his Mentor used to work for lululemon and is 30 years old and retiring after opening up her own business.

So i start asking him how they make money, you've given me generic responses.
    - gives me a website (there i knew it was amway)
    Told him i wasn't interested, then he had the audacity to bring up how my girl should have a big ring and a good life, typical bull shit.
    - I asked him how long he's been doing this and he said just over a year. So i asked how much money he has made, replied back ill be honest, we haven't made any money but we will since we are just starting up.

I politely declined and said thank you for your time.
    Last edited by GQBalla; 06-25-2015 at 07:19 AM.

My Ride
    NC1

Reenact the scene from wolf of wall street lol

lol at MLM's
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-14-2019 at 12:39 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Oh dammit... I clicked on this link and I was still logged in. Now it is going to show up on their feed as "SP viewed your profile" and they will probably start harassing me.

Also, they only have 275 connections... that is pretty shitty for people who are supposed to be networking superstars. I have like 150+ and I decline anybody I don't know.
    fuuuuuuuuck, i did that too! i hate linkedin... its so god damn pointless. but truth be told i've never been approached by these type of people and was a little upset about the fun im missing out on

My Ride
    93 integra

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
    Its not the quickstar thing is it? By the guys who go around Haskane asking for directions and following up with "Wow, you seem like a outgoing go-getter, ever thought about being your own boss?"

Someone attempted to get me to go to one of these a couple years ago in the Chapters magazine section, he claimed he was a leader of a "big sports nutrition e-commerce" (What?) company. He continued saying that he was looking for a new car.. a Mercedes AMG, When I asked him which one, he looked perplexed.
    ahhh viaslus...this is literally just one of three money making schemes my ex-best friend got herself into. I swear she did visalus and two other lame ass ones...surprised she didn't join amway.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast