Quantcast
Class 6 Road Test - Tomorrow *Friday April 24th* - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Class 6 Road Test - Tomorrow *Friday April 24th*

My Ride
    300 Limited

Default Class 6 Road Test - Tomorrow *Friday April 24th*

Hey guys, I had my class 6 road test scheduled for Wednesday but as we all know, Calgary weather is.. unexpected.
    I got it rescheduled for this Friday *tomorrow* at 4 oclock; only problem is, now I have no way of getting it down to the registry. I was wondering if anyone in the NW (Kincora area) is willing to ride down there (Crowfoot) with me at around 3:15ish tomorrow afternoon?! (need to ride with someone that has a class 6)
    I'm willing to throw some money your way
    Please pm me if you're up for it, I would really appreciate it!

- Alex
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Darn I can't do it. I have a 6 GDL

You must be accompanied by a fully licenced (non-GDL probationary) driver who is 18 years of age or older and is either seated on the motorcycle with you or is following you in close proximity in or on another motor vehicle.
    Last edited by scat19; 04-24-2009 at 10:02 AM.

My Ride
    300 Limited

Thats alright
    I'm still looking, if anyone can do it please send me a PM!

im sorry...i get off at 3:30 i definitely would have

I wish I could help.. Why don't you just drive there alone? Just drive "legally" and you won't have a problem

I would make for good practise heh
    no alarms and no surprises

My Ride
    Ducati 1199, BRZ

Originally posted by scat19
    Darn I can't do it. I have a 6 GDL

But, it's not illegal for you to double him. lol

My Ride
    300 Limited

$120 down the shitter :P

My Ride
    black

so you failed your test and it was 120.00 to take? or you shat out 120.00 . .

which one?

you failed?

My Ride
    300 Limited

I didn't fail, I just couldn't find a way of getting the bike there.

I'm gonna keep looking, hopefully I can find someone for this weekend, otherwise I will just get a truck and haul it down there.

My Ride
    Ducati 1199, BRZ

I don't get it. If you bought the permit, and didn't take the test yet, how did you lose $120?

I know they changed a lot of things this year, but is it not still:

a) buy permit
    b) give permit to tester

??

If they didn't take it, then can't you use it for a future exam?

***Oh yeah, it's BS that they charge you $120 now. For that price, the instructor should come to you since they obviously know that you can't ride your bike by yourself.
    Last edited by japan_us; 04-24-2009 at 05:01 PM.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I'm guessing the OP paid for the test but couldn't get the bike down there for the appointment.

Just so you know, your "companion" with the class six does not have to be on a motorcycle. They can be driving / riding in a car immediately behind / beside / in front of you. I'm 99% sure of this.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    300 Limited

Obtaining your class 6 consists of 2 things,

One, you must obtain your Test Permit (written test) from the registry. That's around 30 questions and costs about $20 .. or at least it did when I got mine. This test permit is valid for 1 year from the date you got it, and is necessary in order for you to be able to take the road test.

In order to take the road test, you must provide a bike to take the test on, at the time of your test. Test costs ~$120 and can only be booked through registries due to a new government requirement. (no more private testing)
    I booked my test for Wednesday, it turned out to be a shitty day due to snow, so they re-scheduled it for this Friday (today). Unfortunately, despite of looking at all alternatives, I could not get the bike to the registry. I don't know anyone with a class 6, and I could not book a truck. (Looked at Rona, Uhaul, Discount, etc, all booked out for the weekend)
    I went down to the registry, and asked the tester if it was possible for her to follow me home so I can pickup the bike.. she said they don't do that. Although I was the last appointment for the day, she wouldn't reschedule me for another day.. without having to pay for another test.
    I know it's pretty much my fault for not being able to produce the bike at the time of the test, I was just sort of pissed off for her ignorance of the situation at hand..
    That being said, as I mentioned before, I'll try and find someone for this weekend. Hopefully it's not a shit show again (as they predict in the forecast).

EDIT:

japan_us: I agree, for $120 they should be knocking at your door at the time of the test. It's ridiculous the order they have it in. I mean, look at the AMA safety driving courses; they come and pick you up, because it makes sense that a new driver may not be able to get around at that stage (usually class 7 driving license).

Masked Bandit: You're right, she actually confirmed this. Class 6 full that is riding with you can be in any motor vehicle, does not have to be motorcycle.
    Last edited by Palmiros; 04-24-2009 at 05:23 PM.

if u still need someone to accompany u, i prolly wont have my bike to ride for the next few days but i can drive a car along side u
    Last edited by turbotrip; 04-25-2009 at 02:54 AM.

Originally posted by Palmiros
    Obtaining your class 6 consists of 2 things,

One, you must obtain your Test Permit (written test) from the registry. That's around 30 questions and costs about $20 .. or at least it did when I got mine. This test permit is valid for 1 year from the date you got it, and is necessary in order for you to be able to take the road test.

In order to take the road test, you must provide a bike to take the test on, at the time of your test. Test costs ~$120 and can only be booked through registries due to a new government requirement. (no more private testing)
    I booked my test for Wednesday, it turned out to be a shitty day due to snow, so they re-scheduled it for this Friday (today). Unfortunately, despite of looking at all alternatives, I could not get the bike to the registry. I don't know anyone with a class 6, and I could not book a truck. (Looked at Rona, Uhaul, Discount, etc, all booked out for the weekend)
    I went down to the registry, and asked the tester if it was possible for her to follow me home so I can pickup the bike.. she said they don't do that. Although I was the last appointment for the day, she wouldn't reschedule me for another day.. without having to pay for another test.
    I know it's pretty much my fault for not being able to produce the bike at the time of the test, I was just sort of pissed off for her ignorance of the situation at hand..
    That being said, as I mentioned before, I'll try and find someone for this weekend. Hopefully it's not a shit show again (as they predict in the forecast).

EDIT:

japan_us: I agree, for $120 they should be knocking at your door at the time of the test. It's ridiculous the order they have it in. I mean, look at the AMA safety driving courses; they come and pick you up, because it makes sense that a new driver may not be able to get around at that stage (usually class 7 driving license).

Masked Bandit: You're right, she actually confirmed this. Class 6 full that is riding with you can be in any motor vehicle, does not have to be motorcycle.
    You have most everything correct in your post, however I think it is necessary to clarify a couple of things for future posters.

You have to pay the fee for the permit and that allows you one test. If you have to cancel the test, you must do it 24hrs in Advance otherwise you lose the right to test using that permit. The reason it is done this way, is because the examiner is paid for the time that they are there. So if there is an exam booked and paid for, and the guy doesnt show up (through no fault of the examiner), they arent penalized.

As far as getting the examiner to come to your home or anyone having an attitude about the amount of money or asking the examiner to bend over backwards; it is NOT, i repeat, NOT up to the examiner to make those decisions.

When the road test model changed on Jan 19, there were many small things that changed with it. For example, a test MUST start and end at a registry. It cannot start across the road, it cannot start at the 7-11 down the street. It has to start and stop there.

There are minor exceptions to that rule for professional class drivers.

Another example is that money can never change hands between the examiner and the client. It must be done at the registry.

There are many little things that have changed that have not been explained to the public. Because the government didnt explain it, there are misconceptions that arise. The examiner however, should have told you why she couldnt go to your home. That would have been the proper thing to do.

Now, that being said; there are a few registries that offer motorcycle rentals for a fee. So, even though it was a shitty situation, there are alternatives.

when is your next exam? maybe i can help

My Ride
    dulls my senses

I might be able to help out if you get another one booked, dont have much going on this week.

My Ride
    public transit

shoot me a pm. i'll go with you

My Ride
    300 Limited

I got it!!!!!!!
    Went into the registry yesterday and they had nothing available until Wednesday. I mentioned I took the course through Too Cool... and was able to book the test the next day! (today)
    Man oh man, just in the nick of time too, I had my test booked for 6oclock and it started givin'er just about then.
    Went on for a while and by the end of the test it was snowing like crazy! I'm so glad I finally got it done though! Would like to send out a BIG thanks to everyone that has helped and/or offered to help.
    I'm actually going to put together a thread with all the information regarding obtaining your class 6 (and related FAQ).
    Hope everyone had a great Sunday, I know I did

Congratulations!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast