Quantcast
suggestions for first car for a spoiled kid? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: suggestions for first car for a spoiled kid?

Default suggestions for first car for a spoiled kid?

hi, first post here.
    I am graduating high school this year and will be going to UBC in Vancouver in the fall. I have pretty much zero experience actually working on cars. I am looking for a reliable daily car but with a bit of power and style too.
    I am trying to avoid becoming too much of a ricer LOL.

Any suggestions for models that meet this criteria?

-I am not really into a JDM car unless it's already inspected.

-My dad died and left me a bit of cash so I'm trying to figure out a sensible amount to spend on a car. Part of me wants to like buy a Ferrari flat out of course LOL. I was thinking a sensible budget was $10-15k.

-Yes I can drive manual lol.

-This car will see a lot of rain, etc. being in Vancouver. So not too much snow if any (almost all my driving will be on major roads)

-I will be doing a fair amount of 'highway driving'. I will be driving between Van and Calgary often

-I do not really want a 2-seater (can get inconvenient.)

I like RX7s but heard the rotary can get unreliable.
    From browsing this board I get the impression Supras are fun but finnicky as shit.
    Integras look good.
    Everyone and their dog seems to have a 240, although a lot on this forum look really great!
    No hatchback civics.

So short version : what is a good reliable car for a spoiled ricer-in-training lol.

Get a 4 door civic and blow the rest of your budget on fart cans and JDM radiator caps... overnighted from Japan.

hmm, do you think i'll have money left over for bubbly purple tint and huge stickers?

Well. from your general candor and the feeling I got from your post, I sure hope you arent buying a car to replace who you lost. I am very sorry, and I hope you are healing.

As for what car you want to purchase as a "spoiled ricer in training" this forum is highly geared towards imports and euro's.

What are you tastes like... do you have a certain body style in mind like a sedan? coupe? SUV?

Supras are NOT finicky, they just need to be cared for, as for their motor and tranny. are super built proof. Guys are makign 600HP on stock block daily driven. Again these cars are maintained.

You have to think about insurance, and mod fund (if you want to modify it).

Modifying a car is more then a hobby, it becomes a lifestyle. Waiting on parts, learning to do it, maintainence, driving. It is all encompassing.

If you just want a head turner, go look at some euro's. An entry level bimmer like a 3 series, or a entry level mercedes C class seems to be the cats ass now.

As for an import, if I were to buy a new car to modify it would be a supra. Second choice a lexus is300 and third choice an s14 240. fourth and fifth would be a volkswagen corrado, and a b5 audi a4 2001.5.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Lol at first reply.

If you think Integras look good, you might as well spend your money on one. You can pick up a decent late-model GSR for the price and have a few dollars to spare on suspension/rims, proper tinting, and whatever else to help you get started on your ricing of the vehicle. Try to keep it clean though. Another good option if you're into Euro are GTIs (or GLIs if you don't like hatches). Either can be had for your price range. If you want newer, RSX's or Mazda 3s work well for a newbie as well.

EDIT: In any case, even if you were to choose something else, I would highly recommend a FWD vehicle solely because you're not experienced as a driver yet and going back and forth through the mountains could be treacherous for you in a RWD.
    Last edited by mo_money2supe; 04-25-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

to r154
    nothing like that haha.

Supra is looking so nice but they're really pricy, especially LHD. Insurance, etc is pretty much no issue. But I also have never really worked on a car before...I wouldn't want to learn on a Supra, especially my own LOL. Also it will be kept in a condo parking garage so I won't really be able to just tinker with it on weekends. Also I don't really know anyone into cars in van.
    Last edited by slinkie; 04-25-2009 at 03:22 PM.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

A newer Integra? Id est, an RSX?

RSX is so hotttt . Forgot about that one.

And yeah I have pretty limited driving experience. Everyone thinks they're a great driver but I realize my inexperience. I will keep the FWD suggestion strongly in mind.

Also my gf has an 08 is250 and it is pretty sweet. Aren't those only AWD or RWD though?

My Ride
    STi

get an impreza. AWD is nice

i love the new sti hatchback. I am really trying to curb my spending though. I am bad for not following budgets I set

If you're going back and forth between UBC and Calgary in the winter, the passes through the mountains can get really treacherous at times. Even if it's a "major road" you will see snow, and sometimes lots of it. Just something to keep in mind.

My Ride
    STi

Originally posted by slinkie
    i love the new sti hatchback. I am really trying to curb my spending though. I am bad for not following budgets I set
    I'm not suggesting an STI. Just get a normal impreza. Still fairly quick/ fun to drive.

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Originally posted by jsn
    Werd, I moved from a 240 to a WRX and couldn't be happier. Its powerful enough, super fun to drive, and easy in the winter. Its within your budget and has a large aftermarket following.

My Ride
    Squdixxer 600

Originally posted by R154
    Well. from your general candor and the feeling I got from your post, I sure hope you arent buying a car to replace who you lost. I am very sorry, and I hope you are healing.

As for what car you want to purchase as a "spoiled ricer in training" this forum is highly geared towards imports and euro's.

What are you tastes like... do you have a certain body style in mind like a sedan? coupe? SUV?

Supras are NOT finicky, they just need to be cared for, as for their motor and tranny. are super built proof. Guys are makign 600HP on stock block daily driven. Again these cars are maintained.

You have to think about insurance, and mod fund (if you want to modify it).

Modifying a car is more then a hobby, it becomes a lifestyle. Waiting on parts, learning to do it, maintainence, driving. It is all encompassing.

If you just want a head turner, go look at some euro's. An entry level bimmer like a 3 series, or a entry level mercedes C class seems to be the cats ass now.

As for an import, if I were to buy a new car to modify it would be a supra. Second choice a lexus is300 and third choice an s14 240. fourth and fifth would be a volkswagen corrado, and a b5 audi a4 2001.5.

Just a quick question, Looked at many supra's and all those JDM cars. Many come with turbos already. I have some mechanical experience. Is a car with a turbo a whole new ball game?
    Last edited by Zigo; 04-25-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Originally posted by suen17
    If you're going back and forth between UBC and Calgary in the winter, the passes through the mountains can get really treacherous at times. Even if it's a "major road" you will see snow, and sometimes lots of it. Just something to keep in mind.
    oh yeah.

stupid of me lol.

My Ride
    has lace's

Originally posted by jsn

i just sold my JDM WRX buut i loved it.
    very relible, quick but not crazy fast, AWD handles amazing in all types of weather.
    awesome car to up your drivers skill.
    and with your buget, you can find a very mint jdm.
    or actually even a earlyer 2000's USDM one.
    4 door to.

My Ride
    a fun 4 cylinder

Originally posted by slinkie
    And yeah I have pretty limited driving experience. Everyone thinks they're a great driver but I realize my inexperience. I will keep the FWD suggestion strongly in mind.

Also my gf has an 08 is250 and it is pretty sweet. Aren't those only AWD or RWD though?
    the is250 came is RWD and AWD. all depends on trim level.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Legacy GT

Might be a bit out of your price range by about $5k, but fast, practical, reliable, AWD for winter and driving back and forth, pretty luxurious inside and cheap to mod. $2000 will easily easily net you upwards of 300whp and it'll be reliable enough to be a daily driver. Only con is the price and well... they look like an old man car

Impreza is good too, or WRX.

You can get into a new Genesis coupe too for a bit out of your price range, but they're sweet vehicles.

My Ride
    335i

An RSX is a good, reliable first car.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast