Quantcast
Internet Car For Sale Scam!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Internet Car For Sale Scam!!

My Ride
    89 Fairlady TT, 01 MDX, 02 CBR F4i

Default Internet Car For Sale Scam!!

For those of you who post your cars on the net for sale, beware of the scams that are rampant. Here's what happened to me about a year ago when I was trying to sell my 4Runner. I had posted it on the Calgary Sun's website.

I had a gentleman interested in the truck and he had emailed me. He said was on business in Africa. He asked me the condition of the vehicle and I told him. I listed to the truck more than what it was worth so I could have some room for negotiation. But this guy never bargained with me at all. After finalizing the deal, he told me he had an associate in the US who owes him money. This person was to send me the money, and I was too call his contact here to pick up the truck. But the funds coming, would be worth more than the truck. He had asked to be honest with him and send him the remaining amount. Soon I received a Royal Bank money order in the mail by FEDEX. It had come from Africa and not the USA. I opened it and sure enough it was for $25,000 USD. My asking price on the truck was only $9000 CAD. I was thinking to myself, why the hell would this guy trust me with this much money? I was very suspicious. I went to my home branch at the Royal, and most of the tellers know me there. I got my usual teller and chit chatted with her for a bit. I asked to check this money order to make sure it was real. She went to the back of the bank and called the money order in. Then she came back to me 3 mins later with a disturbed look on her face. She told me they had to call her back, because systems where down, and they have to contact the issuer. Then she started asking me a whole bunch of questions like where I got it, and what is was for. Stuff like that is none of her business and she never asks me. I waitied and waited.. by now I had a bad feeling. I looked at the door and I saw 3 uniformed officers and 1 plain clothes detective come in the bank. They looked right at me, and I knew they were there for me. They grabbed and led me out of the bank. I was told I was being arrested for attempt to cash a fraudulent check. In the cop car I told them the story and they let me go. I was very embarrased. But I was also glad, I did what I did. I could have just deposited that check, get a money order for $19,000 USD and send the f**ker a real money order. Then 30 days later, I would have the bank on my ass for the missing money. Anyways, this is a wicked scam. I bet many people have been taken. And those money order look soooo real!! Be careful guys, if it's too good to be true, then it is. I also know Marlon from Silent Rage also received one of these money orders. Before he went to the bank, I told my story, and it was exactly the same.

Here's another guy with the same story: http://ef-1.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=650
    Last edited by Johnny@CustomAuto; 10-22-2003 at 12:44 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Wow.....
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Hybrid

I've heard of this scam somewhere before, but haven't heard a first hand account of it.
    That's crazy
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    89 Fairlady TT, 01 MDX, 02 CBR F4i

Default Re: Internet Car For Sale Scam!!

yeah.. it sucked. I had to deny about 5 serious inquiries for my truck cause I figured it was sold.

My Ride
    4Runner Trail Edition

Didnt you say the teller knew you frequently? and she called the popo's on you. I wouldnt go to that branch anymore hahaha.

Crazy. Makes it really hard to trust anyone out there. I guess when things look fishy, it good to back away or steer it away from it and more into a more legitimate way to do busniess. ( 1-1 transfer and no middleman stuff).

Glad to see you didn't lose any money out of the scam.

Default Re: Re: Internet Car For Sale Scam!!

Originally posted by Neeper
    yeah.. it sucked. I had to deny about 5 serious inquiries for my truck cause I figured it was sold.
    I'll never tell someone that something is sold, till I have the cash.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Yes, this scam has been making the rounds and a bunch of people have been taken.

But I'm sorry, giving change from a foreign business deal - wtf were you thinking? If it had been ME coming to your house with a cheque for 25K for a 9K truck you'd tell me to go to hell and get the right amount. What I want to know is how someone could send change in the form of a cheque for such vast ammounts of money before verifying that the original cheque did in fact pass? (Not your case but several others).

It's like the people that sent the money to get 5 million from prince Mujibars wife in Africa. Such a stupid scam but it has to catch someone sooner or later.

Moral: If it's too good to be true, or it doesn't seem right get the hell out.

Khyron

My Ride
    02 Accord

Thats seriously fucked up scam... People actually getting away with it is even more fucked up...

My Ride
    Talon

Default hmm

never surpirses me how stupid people are and low they are willing to go just to get a few unearned bucks....

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

damn! that's crazy...
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Jesus! WTF is wrong with people!!!!!! :O

Originally posted by Khyron
    Moral: If it's too good to be true, or it doesn't seem right get the hell out.

My Ride
    MK7 Golf

I was just sent this by a friend.

I'm thinking that I should reconsider my overseas buyer for my car.... it's the exact same story! WOW! Icould end up fucked!
    MK7 Golf SportWagen 4Motion

Should write to the papers.

My Ride
    335i

I've heard of a similar scam. Check this one out:

There are three parties involved. You, an interested buyer (the scammer) and another person who knows nothing.

The scammer mails the third person and strikes a deal with them concerning something. Then he asks them to mail you the payment. You think the payment is from the scammer, but it's really from someone totally uninformed.

You see payment in your hands, so you send the item to the scammer. The scammer then disappears, and you have the cops on your ass for the third party who thinks you got scammed. Usually, the guy is out of the country and cannot be touched, so you have the cops on your ass for the stolen money and you are out a product.

Very sneaky, but it's worked sooo many times.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride

Originally posted by redbaron303
    I was just sent this by a friend.

I'm thinking that I should reconsider my overseas buyer for my car.... it's the exact same story! WOW! Icould end up fucked!
    If he's saying you need to send him change, yes - it is the exact same scam. Agree to it, take his cheque but don't send the vehicle, then take the cheque to the cops.

ANY online trading, if you don't use an escrow service you are taking a risk. If you don't and you buy something like a car, and you never actually meet up with the person then I'm sorry but you're going to get screwed.

Khyron

My Ride

Originally posted by szw
    Should write to the papers.
    It's been in the papers many times. I read about it about 6 months ago and it's definately older than that. Dudes selling Porsches and stuff sending the cars AND paying change!

Khyron

My Ride
    92 VW Fox

so wait, what happened to you after that? once you told them the story what did they say and all?
    Having a fast Honda is like winning the special olympics, in the end your still retarded

My Ride
    a wrx.

anything involving large sums of money and africa is BAD NEWS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast