Quantcast
How Long to find another job after getting laid off? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: How Long to find another job after getting laid off?

Default How Long?

Just wondering who was recently laid off and how long did it take for you to get another job. How many resume did you hand out etc...

I've been off work for 3 weeks now and submitted 5 resumes and no call backs yet (although most were pretty brand new so they'll probably waiting until the end of the posting)

Just carious.

What field are you in?

Default Re: How Long?

Originally posted by cotang
    Just wondering who was recently laid off and how long did it take for you to get another job. How many resume did you hand out etc...

I've been off work for 3 weeks now and submitted 5 resumes and no call backs yet (although most were pretty brand new so they'll probably waiting until the end of the posting)

Just carious.
    *curious

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

I've found in the past that I would get about 1-2 interviews for every 10 or so resumes handed out. Out of those interviews, I would say it's safe to say that you can land one job offer for every 5 interviews.

So judging by my completely random calculations... I would say you are sure to land a job once you get about 50 resumes with cover letters out there.

Good luck with your job hunt.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

*on a somewhat related note....anyone get laid off and applied for EI? Just wondering what your wait times on the final decision was...i'm close to 6weeks with no decision yet....running out of places to apply haha.

Originally posted by Jim Rome99
    What field are you in?
    Electronics Engineering Technologist with recent acquired Siemens PLC Programming.

Originally posted by slick2404
    *on a somewhat related note....anyone get laid off and applied for EI? Just wondering what your wait times on the final decision was...i'm close to 6weeks with no decision yet....running out of places to apply haha.
    I'm still waiting for my work to give me my ROE so that I can apply. It suppose to be 5 days after layoff but its been 2 1/2 weeks with nothing. Going to call everyday until I find out when.

Unless you haven't worked 52 weeks straight then its pretty hard to get EI, but it you did then it shouldn't be a problem.

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

Originally posted by cotang

I'm still waiting for my work to give me my ROE so that I can apply. It suppose to be 5 days after layoff but its been 2 1/2 weeks with nothing. Going to call everyday until I find out when.

Unless you haven't worked 52 weeks straight then its pretty hard to get EI, but it you did then it shouldn't be a problem.
    Really? I thought it was based on the amount of hours.... minimum was something that amounts to ~950hrs or at least 6months.

My Ride
    Nothing exciting

Originally posted by slick2404

Really? I thought it was based on the amount of hours.... minimum was something that amounts to ~950hrs or at least 6months.
    Should be 700 hours in Alberta.

http://srv129.services.gc.ca/eiregio...x?eiecon_nu=46

Cotang,

Regarding you not receiving your ROE - visit My Service Canada Account on the Service Canada website: www.servicecanada.gc.ca. You should be able to view and print your ROE there. Your employer might not send you a hard copy of your ROE because of the change in EI Regulation 19(3) effective March 15, 2009 that exempts them from this (this is to reduce paper burden of printing and mailing paper copies).
    Last edited by Tripz; 04-28-2009 at 04:39 PM.

It's about 6 weeks for me too since I got laid off.. about 4 weeks since I submitted my EI application. Nothing yet. A friend of mine just got his EI approved recently and just got a big deposit.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

co its ken from cal frac, shitty news, chat with me on xbox later.

Originally posted by Tripz

Should be 700 hours in Alberta.

http://srv129.services.gc.ca/eiregio...x?eiecon_nu=46

Cotang,

Regarding you not receiving your ROE - visit My Service Canada Account on the Service Canada website: www.servicecanada.gc.ca. You should be able to view and print your ROE there. Your employer might not send you a hard copy of your ROE because of the change in EI Regulation 19(3) effective March 15, 2009 that exempts them from this (this is to reduce paper burden of printing and mailing paper copies).
    Thanks, I just found out and I went online and applied. I guess on the news is that Ei went up 19% and yet only a couple precentage got approved. Which is so gay.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

It took me three weeks. I applied at 10 different places, had two interviews and was offered the job by both. I took the better one of the two. Mind you I used to work in oilfield manufacterering so I had to find a job in a totally different area of work, since my old sector is more dead then Elvis currently.

Yeah I'd go nuts on applying, and take what you can get for now... better then letting things slide until you're desperate and then have to find anything to pay the bills at the last minute.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    08 GSR

When I got laid off last summer, at around late July, didn't get my current job until last October, so around 2 and a half months. I didn't get any interviews for all the resumes I submitted until September. I got like 4 of them in like two weeks. And within the time span that I got laid off up until I got my job, I think I applied to like over 30 companies.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

wowjobs.ca

My Ride
    CRF 250L

TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    It took me three weeks. I applied at 10 different places, had two interviews and was offered the job by both. I took the better one of the two. Mind you I used to work in oilfield manufacterering so I had to find a job in a totally different area of work, since my old sector is more dead then Elvis currently.

Yeah I'd go nuts on applying, and take what you can get for now... better then letting things slide until you're desperate and then have to find anything to pay the bills at the last minute.
    So what do you do now?