Quantcast
Deadlift 101 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift 101

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by Oz-
    To get the deadlift talk out of the thread on squatting, here is another great article on deadlifting.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles-pdf/deadlift101.pdf

Originally posted by max_boost
    That's a wide stance!

I love doing squats. It's my favorite workout by far. Deads are tough on my lower back but it's expected since you are working it right? But man, squats are the best. I have a lot my strength in my lower body. Squatting 3X/week is no problems for me.
    Deads shouldn't really hurt your low back. At least not till after a day or two. If it hurts 'while' you're pulling the weight, your form might be off.

Try getting your ass lower to activate more hip. And pull the bar straight, almost towards you. You don't want to go up and around the knees. Scrape your shins on the way up if you have too.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    E46

Originally posted by Darkane
    Scrape your shins on the way up if you have too.
    Hate that part about deads.
    Anyway around this?
    Gets annoying when it starts to hurt and rip other wounds open. No one likes a bloody barbell!!

My Ride
    impreza

knee high socks!

My Ride
    TL

I have used soccer shin guards from time to time.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Darkane

Deads shouldn't really hurt your low back. At least not till after a day or two. If it hurts 'while' you're pulling the weight, your form might be off.

Try getting your ass lower to activate more hip. And pull the bar straight, almost towards you. You don't want to go up and around the knees. Scrape your shins on the way up if you have too.
    Hmmm....

It doesn't hurt when I'm pulling it up. More so on the motion going back down I feel like my back is being tested. It's not the hurting type of pain but more so minor discomfort as if that area is being tested. I hope that makes sense. I'll meet up with master 'lint' to make sure my form is good. After a day it is sore though.

My Ride

Originally posted by Little Dragon

Hate that part about deads.
    Anyway around this?
    Gets annoying when it starts to hurt and rip other wounds open. No one likes a bloody barbell!!
    Yeah. Not sure but I used to dead with my stance a bit wider.

Now recently I dead narrow enough where my legs are in line with the smooth part of the bar. Close stance just feels better on my back and I get right down and drive with my hips, hams, ass and it doesn't load my back to much.

I got a herniated disc so I gotta be ultra careful. First time in over 2 years I pulled 3 plates a side a week ago. Form was 100% - No pain
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Kane's 100% right on his tips ... as always. I'd add that the bar should remain in contact with your legs the whole way including past the knee and on to the thigh both up and down. Practice with a broom stick or empty bar if you need too.

I also recommend working with full size rubber plates to ensure consistent depth if you can't pull a plate a side.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    TL

If you are pulling conventional, you can determine your stance two ways.

1) hang from a bar and drop. The way your feet natually land should be pretty close to your stance.

2) prepare to do a vertical jump off two feet. That is pretty close to your stance.

If you guys can pull enough weight to flex the bar, you have to break the weight with the bar actually flexed. Otherwise you are leaving 50 lbs of flex on the ground. It is tough to explain until you get some real bend in the bar, think of it as a see-saw when you are deadlifting.

If you are deadlifting and its a sharp pain, stop lifting. If its a minor discomfort...I dunno what to tell you, but it might be more in your head. I lift with an Inzer belt when I get to my worksets...but I warmup sushi.
    Last edited by Oz-; 04-28-2009 at 09:49 PM.

My Ride
    TL

Default Deadlift 101

To get the deadlift talk out of the thread on squatting, here is another great article on deadlifting.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles-pdf/deadlift101.pdf

My Ride

Sorry, my bad lol.

-H.P. Lovecraft

that split/merge didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, but its pretty much all I can do

My Ride
    Giant Rainier

I would recommend watching Coach Rippetoe's videos for tips on form and method. They're short vids if you don't feeling like reading the tutorial. Check out the vids under the "Power Lifts" section in the following link:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

And I noticed that in the Diesel Crew guide to deadlift and squat, there are parts where he advises to "hold your breath." I don't know if this is a powerlifting technique, but I for one never hold my breath for anything.
    Last edited by no_joke; 04-29-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Originally posted by no_joke
    I would recommend watching Coach Rippetoe's videos for tips on form and method. They're short vids if you don't feeling like reading the tutorial. Check out the vids under the "Power Lifts" section in the following link:

And I noticed that in the Diesel Crew guide to deadlift and squat, there are parts where he advises to "hold your breath." I don't know if this is a powerlifting technique, but I for one never hold my breath for anything.
    You refer to Rippetoe and don't know of the Valsalva maneuver?
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    TL

Holding your breath is for staying tight through the lift. Not a powerlifting technique that I know of...we had a strength and conditioning coach back in high school (I think he was just a bodybuilder from Samsons) that taught me about holding my breath.

Originally posted by lint

You refer to Rippetoe and don't know of the Valsalva maneuver?
    valsalva technique isn't exactly promoted by him, lol
    valsalva is mainly for football or basketball players.

Originally posted by hattonlynch

valsalva technique isn't exactly promoted by him, lol
    valsalva is mainly for football or basketball players.
    Gee, it sure sounds like he promotes it

from Starting Strength 2nd Ed, page 52

Furthermore, no one gets under 405 lbs. and squats it without having trained enough to be able to do so. The cardiovascular system adapts to resistance training just like all of the other tissues and systems in the body, and this adaptation occurs as strength increases. Anyone who is capable of squatting extremely heavy weights is adapted for it in all the necessary ways. And no lifter has ever pulled 800 lbs. off the floor while exhaling. For the athlete using more than 5 lb. chrome dumbbells, it is far, far more likely that following the advice to "inhale on the way down and exhale on the way u p " will actually cause an orthopedic injury than prevent a stroke.

In fact, it is a good practice to take and hold the biggest breath you can before each rep of your heaviest sets. Get in the habit of breathing correctly during your lighter sets, so that when the weight gets heavy the pattern will be established. The Valsalva maneuver will prevent far more problems that it has the potential to cause. It is a necessary and important technique for safety in the weight room.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Giant Rainier

Found on the net
    Here is an example of proper breathing during a bench press. During the down phase of the bench press the individual should inhale. As the individual pushes the weight back up to the starting position, the individual should exhale. The individual should not hold his or her breath during the up phase. This is where the Valsalva maneuver would occur. All in all, the next time you go to the weight room remember not to take breathing for granted. Focus on proper breathing. Remember holding your breath during a strenuous exercise is not only an improper lifting technique, but most of all it can be dangerous to your health.
    I am not in the class of weightlifters as described by Rippetoe in the above quote but here's another perspective on the Valsalva maneuver. I'm not for or against it but I don't think I would need to or want to use it.

Link: http://rehabworks.ksc.nasa.gov/educa...s/valsalva.php

I am not in the class of weightlifters as described by Rippetoe in the above quote but here's another perspective on the Valsalva maneuver. I'm not for or against it but I don't think I would need to or want to use it.

Link: http://rehabworks.ksc.nasa.gov/educa...s/valsalva.php
    Proper breathing as defined by whom? As Oz already mentioned, holding your breath/Valsalva as a means to create/maintain tightness has been promoted and practiced by many a strength coach.

If as you say, you've never held your breath for anything, so be it.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    bmw m3

Whats the proper way of bring the weight back down.
    I scrape my shins goin up but should i be scrapin them going back down?

My Ride
    bmw m3

Oh and what kind of hand grip do you usually do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast