Quantcast
Comparison Test: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs. 2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comparison Test: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 vs. 2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by hampstor

The G37 vs 335i compete in the same market space. They will definately be cross shopped (even though the 335i for the most part is a better vehicle).

The g37 vs genesis coupe comparisons serve to highlight how far Hyundai has come. No one looking to buy an Infiniti will cross shop the g37 against a genesis. I fully expect people who are looking at Mustang and Camaro V6's to look at the Genesis Coupe though!
    Same can be said about Genesis Sedan but it doesn't stop them comparing it to 5 series or TL.

Those are the vehicles Genesis is going after.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

What about Genesis Coupe Vs. Altima Coupe Vs. Accord Coupe? I think that would be fair to look into.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Tomaz
    What about Genesis Coupe Vs. Altima Coupe Vs. Accord Coupe? I think that would be fair to look into.
    RWD VS FWD?

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by Xtrema

RWD VS FWD?
    Vehicle comparisons should be done based on price category. The customer is able to afford X amount of dollars and will look at cars within his or her budget. These $35K vs $45K comparisons make no sense.

We've already seen the Genesis go agaisnt the Camaro V6 and if I'm not mistaken the Camaro came out on top. Put the Genesis against other 25-35K dollar sports cars regardless of their layout. If the Genesis fairs better than the GTI because it's rwd then thats great.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Apex Predator

This comparison was stupid and a total waste of time. Other than showing 2 fine examples of great styling.

The best comparo I've seen to to date was Genesis 3.8 vs. 370Z vs. Mustang GT. Maybe I'm biased because I love seeing a Mustang fair well in more than just 1/4 mile times. But all 3 have similar base price, RWD, 2 Door, similar horsepower, similar curb weight, average but nothing special interiors, all look fast (subjective I guess).

Motortrend
    Last edited by NickGT; 04-30-2009 at 08:42 PM.

"She takes premium dude! PREMIUM!!! DUDE!!!!"

luxor Guest

Hyundai > Ford

Edmunds also retested the Genesis Coupe with some issues fixed and got times more in line with other publications:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...hotopanel..1.*

Still slightly off the G37's pace but not bad at all! Only 0.2 seconds.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by luxor
    Hyundai > Ford
    If > means slower and uglier than yes quite...

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by luxor
    Hyundai > Ford
    Nissan > Ford > Hyundai if we're talking about numbers.

Nissan V6 outperforms Ford's V8. Ford needs to boost their efficiency.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Vehicle comparisons should be done based on price category. The customer is able to afford X amount of dollars and will look at cars within his or her budget. These $35K vs $45K comparisons make no sense.
    I don't agree with the argument at all. The Genesis is so close to the Infiniti in specs that it even looks like the Infiniti.. Except on one point, the Genesis actually looks better. These cars are perfect competitors - one is priced significantly lower.

If your point were true, all Hyundai has to do is add a bit more options (basically only NAV and dual zone climate) and bump up the MSRP to G37 levels and then they'd be direct competitors?

I would totally consider a Genesis Coupe. But if I were to comparison shop, what car would I test... A G37! And if you wanted to only compare price range, then fine, compare a brand new Genesis Coupe, full warranty, to a used G35/G37. There you go. Now prices are even.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by yes.supra
    *sigh* hyundai is like a fat chick who lost a ton of weight but.....
    lol, are you trying to promote said product to the african american community ?

Jokes aside, due to the Genesis line, sales at Hyundai dealerships in North America have been decent and raised the profitability for the company. Good for them, I love their sedan and am looking forward to seeing other competitive products to our shores.
    Last edited by B4tMan; 06-14-2009 at 09:13 PM.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

We've already seen the Genesis go agaisnt the Camaro V6 and if I'm not mistaken the Camaro came out on top. Put the Genesis against other 25-35K dollar sports cars regardless of their layout. If the Genesis fairs better than the GTI because it's rwd then thats great.
    Like Clem above, I disagree with this too. You say that comparing cars with a 10K difference in price (35 to 45) makes no sense, yet say that the Genesis should be compared to other cars with the same price gap of 10K (25-35K).

I think that when most people are buying cars, there are a numbe of factors all with equal importance to that particular buyer. The point being that every buyer wants to think they got good value for the dollar. To some that means more power, more trunk room, more efficiency, etc. I think you need to compare what the car offers, with price being only one consideration.

For example, I test drove the Acura TL before I bought my Alty. Is the TL a better car? Definitely. Is it worth the extra money? It wasn't for me....

I think the Genesis fits that description perfectly, and is definitely going to be eating away sales from "more expensive" cars, because it does nearly what they do at a significantly better price.

You have to understand, he caters specifically to the luxury segment.

Comparisons such as these negatively impact / diminish the apparent value of the higher end product.

Red will still be ok in his current role in the finance department?, as not many owners of his current Lexus product will look at said comparisons and drop his service for the lesser, cheaper product; even if, in comparison, Genesis is "more than 2/3rds good".

with that last 1/3 price u can use it to mod it and its like a g37 LOL
    Originally posted by R!zz0
    I would have helped you out but i am 5'6 160 pounds. I have a hard time turning my steering wheel in my car. So I'll shit myself if i carry a 65" plasma.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by xxviet
    with that last 1/3 price u can use it to mod it and its like a g37 LOL
    Umm... Not really. Much of the differences are intangible - refinement, quality of components, attention and detail. With $10g's, yes the Genesis Coupe will be made quicker, but the point is, it just won't exude class like the G37. But much like how the G37 won't exude the same amount of class and prestige as it's BMW competitor....

Also, the market for the upgraded V6 models won't be young punks. That's what the base model is for.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

I saw a white one on Deerfoot the other day. Looks quite nice.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by Doozer
    Like Clem above, I disagree with this too. You say that comparing cars with a 10K difference in price (35 to 45) makes no sense, yet say that the Genesis should be compared to other cars with the same price gap of 10K (25-35K).

I think that when most people are buying cars, there are a numbe of factors all with equal importance to that particular buyer. The point being that every buyer wants to think they got good value for the dollar. To some that means more power, more trunk room, more efficiency, etc. I think you need to compare what the car offers, with price being only one consideration.

For example, I test drove the Acura TL before I bought my Alty. Is the TL a better car? Definitely. Is it worth the extra money? It wasn't for me....

I think the Genesis fits that description perfectly, and is definitely going to be eating away sales from "more expensive" cars, because it does nearly what they do at a significantly better price.
    I totally get where you and Clem are coming from, it make sense however vehicle comparisons have almost always been done with same in class vehicles. The G and the Genesis are in totally different vehicle classes even though they have so many similarities. It's sort of like comparing a Lexus RX to a Toyota Venza, many similarities but still enough differences to separate them into 2 different classes. I think what these comparisons show is that Hyundai has built a hell of a car for 35K but still isn't quite as good as the Infiniti.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    W204

I totally get where you and Clem are coming from, it make sense however vehicle comparisons have almost always been done with same in class vehicles. The G and the Genesis are in totally different vehicle classes even though they have so many similarities. It's sort of like comparing a Lexus RX to a Toyota Venza, many similarities but still enough differences to separate them into 2 different classes. I think what these comparisons show is that Hyundai has built a hell of a car for 35K but still isn't quite as good as the Infiniti.
    I think what you're thinking of is the same thing I was trying to point out: you're thinking intangibles. Hyundai is not in the same "league" (or brand or however you want to define it) as Infiniti, just like how Infiniti is not is the same league as BMW. Sort of like how someone shopping around for a Lexus is buying a Lexus for it's prestige and nameplate, not necessarily for the car itself. They would never in their wildest dreams go to Hyundai and try the Genesis Sedan. But at the same time, there are buyers that want a luxury car, and see value instead of having to define themselves with a particular brand.

But class of car? I would say they are totally comparable - 3.7/3.8 V6 FR coupe. Doesn't get anymore comparable than that.

Originally posted by clem24
    just like how Infiniti is not is the same league as BMW.
    Is that the overpriced spartan interior reminiscent of the 90s ?

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by B4tMan

Is that the overpriced spartan interior reminiscent of the 90s ?
    Yes but it's also the driving dynamics that Nissan can't quite match yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast