Quantcast
Smartphone speed trap locator - EVERYONE USE THIS ONE! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Smartphone speed trap locator - EVERYONE USE THIS ONE!

Default Smartphone speed trap locator - EVERYONE USE THIS ONE!

I was thinking, everyone on here is complaining about the new speed on green cameras. So instead of complaining, we should all (somewhat) agree on a smartphone program that alerts us all of the speed traps ahead.

I know most use GPS units with way points programmed in, etc. But this is a way for those with a smartphone to work the technology in our favour.

The best software that I have seen for this is called trapster. It is available on the iphone and blackberries with GPS.

On itunes, search trapster and you can get it. With a blackberry, not too sure how you get it, I'm sure the website will tell you.

www.trapster.com

The best features of this system are:

1) It's FREE!! Totally free even when you get your account.
    2) Real time data that is votes on by accuracy over time, the bad data uploaders are eliminated.
    3) Trapster® continuously communicates with your mobile phone. Data is never stale.

Why am I saying that we all should utilize this program? This system relies totally on the # of users in the given area to send in the most accurate, up to date information on manned speed traps as well as multi-nova.

I'm sure the red light cameras are all uploaded in the system but this goes one step further and will help guard against picking up a "real" speeding ticket.

With the number of people on beyond who are driving around, the Calgary and area database should get to be pretty damn good.

There's absolutely no downside except that your battery life might be lessened on your phone.

I've looked at lots of other versions of red light camera notifiers, etc and this one by far has the most features. Save yourself the time and just go with this one.

hey ya i use this on my bold its actually really helpful it even points out major "hot spots" where cops like to set up and bone you

My Ride
    VAG products

I use it sometimes too, but it drains my battery quickly

My Ride
    SR20 240sx / 2002 Jeep

seen this on app world. was thinking of getting it but questioned its accuracy. maybe ill try it out.

My Ride
    VAG products

Originally posted by S13_Ryan
    seen this on app world. was thinking of getting it but questioned its accuracy. maybe ill try it out.
    It is pretty accurate, alot of people in Calgary are using it and marking known spots and light.

My Ride
    coupé

Thanks for the tip.

i used to use it when it first came out, however I find it really hard to hear the warnings. Is it any better now?
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

My Ride
    VAG products

Originally posted by signature7
    i used to use it when it first came out, however I find it really hard to hear the warnings. Is it any better now?
    pretty loud for my phone. Usually if she starts talking, I just get the hint something is coming up

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I Love this thing whenever I'm going to be traveling on a route I'm not familiar with I check it on my iPhone to check for common spots were they hide

ive been using it since app world came out - great program, i have audio off and just watch the map. the redlights are all there, sometime question some of the trap locations tho - my daily routes had them everywhere, and I think I would have seen one by now!

Originally posted by signature7
    There's vibration mode for iphone. Haven't tried it but I suppose if it's in your pocket, it would be less accurate but would warn you.

As for the locations all along your commute, why not try to cancel them out by giving the location a bad rating?

I see people seem to put the "police often hide here" badge on their reports. If the system gets used enough and properly, we can properly label that there's a speed trap up and it would be current and more accurate.

I know, I'm not going to slow down all the time to every reported area where cops hide. But if it's labelled speed trap and is reported, I know that it will be there as such since the speed trap marker disappears 1 hour after last reporting.
    Last edited by mr2mike; 04-29-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Taken from http://www.trapster.com/help.php

Understanding types of traps, and confidence ratings

Trapster® data is entered by users, for the benefit of other users. For this reason it is important that you be as accurate as possible when entering new traps, and rating traps other users have entered. Confidence level is denoted by the trap color. Green is the lowest confidence, red the highest (meaning more users agree there is a trap of that type at that location). Gray means other users 'buried' or voted the trap out. Traps that are buried (gray) never alert you on your mobile phone. The type of trap is denoted by the picture in the icon.

Live Police Trap
    Actual (current) sighting of a police speed or other trap. Please do not enter a trap every time you see a police car driving around, or parked along the road while the officer eats a doughnut. Examples of good trap reports are police with radar or laser trap set up, motorcycle police hiding in bushes along a freeway on-ramp, a cruiser hiding near stop sign to catch "California Stops". (Traps of type "Live Police" automatically expire after 1 hour from the last corroboration).

Usual Hiding Place or Enforcement Point
    Live Police Trap entries only live in the system temporarily. This type of entry is permanent. Do you know of a place where police often set up radar, laser, visual observation, or other types of enforcement? Please share it! (Traps of type "Usual Police Hiding Place" live in the system permanently, unless voted out by other users).

Red Light Camera
    Most stop lights have small traffic surveillance cameras that do not actually issue tickets. They are simply for monitoring traffic. Photoenforcement cameras are usually large boxes with flasher units. Here are examples of cameras you may see on stoplights. The first is not a valid photoenforcement trap, the second is:

Please try to determine if the camera you are reporting is actually a trap. (Traps of type "Red Light Camera" live in the system permanently, unless voted out by other users).

Fixed Speed Camera
    Fixed photoenforcement speed cameras are mounted on poles, look similar in size and shape to red light cameras, are usually found on freeways, and are very common in Europe. Only a few US states (notably Arizona) have fixed speed cameras. Please don't confuse the stationary or portable radar trailer units (the ones that display your current speed) with units that actually issue citations. There are also mobile photoenforcement speed cameras that get moved around frequently, or mounted to the back of a police vehicle while the officer waits alongside. Please use the trap of type "Mobile Speed Camera" for mobile units. (Traps of type "Fixed Speed Camera" live in the system permanently, unless voted out by other users).

Mobile Speed Camera
    This type of speed camera is typically mounted on a van or other type of vehicle. (Traps of type "Mobile Speed Camera" automatically expire after 2 hours from the last corroboration).

Combo Camera
    Combined red light and speed photoenforcement cameras are becoming more common. (Traps of type "Combo Camera" live in the system permanently, unless voted out by other users).

Checkpoint
    Live police checkpoint or roadblock. Such checkpoints are typically posted in local newspapers 24 hours in advance. (Traps of type "Checkpoint" automatically expire after 6 hours from the last corroboration).

My Ride
    Bicycle

Looks of bogus data in the NW and missing quite a few points

But I guess it will get better over time with more people subscribe to the service.

I find these warnings annoying while I drive tho. Definitely check it out if I travel outside of city.

My Ride
    See sig

Originally posted by pf0sh0
    I use it sometimes too, but it drains my battery quickly
    Get a cigarette lighter -> USB adapter. Will allow you to charge ANYTHING (iPod, iPhone, Blackberry, Digicam) with the one adapter, and they are typically cheaper than a branded/single purpose adapter. MemX carries them fosho.

I use Trapster, and on the iphone it's really easy to confirm or report bogus traps.
    I haven't seen a radar trap since I started using this app, but I'm eager to report a 'live' trap.
    I think everyone on beyond with an iPhone or BB should start using this.
    Last edited by bituerbo; 04-30-2009 at 09:43 AM.
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

When using the GPS on BB ... as this application is using, are there are no data charges?

Don't want to end up with a big bill at the end of the month.

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

I played with it today on my drive into work. Not a bad toy. My only complaint is that the proximity circle is a bit large.

I don't need to know about the potential speed trap on Blackfoot Trail when I'm driving south on Deerfoot.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

My Ride
    has three pedals.

^ You can change it.

I use it, but not on my normal commutes to work where I drive the road so frequently it's useless.

If you're using an iPhone, you need a car charger - the active aGPS and 3G kills your phone!

Look around the settings, you can set it up to your liking. I'm sure it will have more and more settings as the versions improve.

As for checking how much data is used, I will see if I can get the map of calgary to save with my Wifi at home. Then drive around with no data activated. Then I will see if it trys to download the maps or it caches the maps.

If it caches the maps, I doubt the data rate would be too high. I mean it's just getting new points of interest for traps, which shouldn't be too bad. Maybe more of a computer guy could verify my logic is correct?

As well, if you have no data plan, you can't report a trap until you get back into Wifi and then you can report it by setting where the location of the trap was.

I would hope in future versions that they don't allow a marking of "cops commonly hide here". It would do it automatically once, say 10 seperate days of cops being in a location are recorded.

My Ride
    kryptonian meteorite

i just downloaded this, lets see how it works!

My Ride
    Cayman

Originally posted by w_man
    When using the GPS on BB ... as this application is using, are there are no data charges?

Don't want to end up with a big bill at the end of the month.
    Thats what I was wondering as well, I dont need to get fired for cell phone "abuse" lol

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast