Quantcast
Obtaining your class 6 in alberta, insurance, gear and more! - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: Obtaining your class 6 in alberta, insurance, gear and more!

My Ride
    14 ZL1

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    CSC is $80 cheaper and plenty of openings and don't fill up as quickly for when I want to take it.
    Doesn't this already tell you why you should take the Too Cool course? If a place is marginally cheaper and has spots open, it likely isn't very good!

I did Too Cool, and it was awesome. I learned a ton of great tips and tricks that make riding so much better and easier.

Do they not still offer the test at teh end of the class? I did that (in 2006) and never had to go to a registry for a road test.
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by mikestypes

Doesn't this already tell you why you should take the Too Cool course? If a place is marginally cheaper and has spots open, it likely isn't very good!

I did Too Cool, and it was awesome. I learned a ton of great tips and tricks that make riding so much better and easier.

Do they not still offer the test at teh end of the class? I did that (in 2006) and never had to go to a registry for a road test.
    I did mine in 08 and they didn't offer it anymore, I can't remember why, but everyone was pretty pissed about it, since I was told they did, but then they said they stopped doing it.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Alberta eliminated the parking lot tests around that time. I did mine via Too Cool (test on a Sunday). Went down through home road and bowness and such. Passed on my first attempt, as well as the guy before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by ercchry
    both loan you bikes for the road test? i know too cool has something setup with at least the shawnessy registry
    Yup, both provide loaners if you pass the course.

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

Most people one take one course, so it'll be hard to get a comparison of both. Personally, it was the teachers, and the provided gear for me.

I've found/heard that Too Cool is a little more sport bike oriented (they still have JSM/cruisers/Enduros), whereas CSC is more cruiser oriented.
    Yeah, I'm more interested in cruisers. I'm not very interested in sport bikes at all, but I'd still like to try one out.

I see Beats by Dre headphones everywhere. I guess that makes them the best too, eh?

Nope, I called and verified that. Only registries are allowed to give the test now. No schools.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Yup, both provide loaners if you pass the course.

Yeah, I'm more interested in cruisers. I'm not very interested in sport bikes at all, but I'd still like to try one out.

I see Beats by Dre headphones everywhere. I guess that makes them the best too, eh?

Nope, I called and verified that. Only registries are allowed to give the test now. No schools.
    Too Cool has a couple "standard" bikes that are more like a cruiser than a sport bike. Most people in the courses seem to shy away from them and go for the ninjas so they are generally available. There will come a point in the course that they make you switch to a different bike just to try it out so you'll get a good balance.

Too Cool is VERY personalized, they watch you, they remember you and they know what you need help with but they aren't overbearing about it. Seriously, the quality of instruction there is top notch.

Trevor is quite a guy - he really knows his stuff and he tries to make learning entertaining but at times his jokes are just a bit much. When you're sitting there cringing at some of his jokes try to remember that there are people there who don't understand the things that most of us find painfully obvious. When you have to teach grown adults very very basic skills it is easy to become condescending and then the people who need the help don't learn anything at all. Trevor manages to avoid that. When he gets a little cringe-worthy just remember, he probably feels the same way but he is saying something that is teaching somebody in your class.

I got my license last year after taking the course with them and got my first bike on the road this year. More than once I've been doing something with my bike and it has now finally clicked why certain things were said or done in the course. They seemed stupid at the time (perhaps because I was being short sighted) but even the stupid things in the course are very useful.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Update: I just finished my weekend course with Calgary Safety Council today and I thought they were terrific. They were pretty flexible with last minute changes to the schedule too so it was easy to fit me into openings they had. I was even able to mix the classroom session from one course number and the riding hours from another. Also the classroom session wasn't as dry as I expected it to be.

My riding class had 11 people (though it ended with 9 by the end of Sunday) and I'm told the weekday courses are pretty small so there's lots of one-on-one interaction and you don't have to wait long for your turn at the drills. I originally signed up for weekday courses but they were cancelled because only two people had registered, myself included.

They had a mix of cruiser, sport, and dirt bikes for people to try and if a style of bike you wanted was all taken, they said they wouldn't have any problems swapping it out for one you wanted.

I'd have no problem recommending them as another option that's cheaper and doesn't seem to get booked up as quickly and far advanced as Too Cool.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Yeah Trevor is great. He was very informative when I was taking the advanced course when I was 14. He knows his shit .I bailed hardcore since I never downed a bike on the asphalt. Locking up the rear end when going into a hard hairpin at the old go cart track. Yeah that Sucked. I was launched off the bike to the point where I was 30ft off the bike up in the air. The bike was ghost riding, to which I landed hard on the tank. Winded me the hardest I've ever been. I clawed back on the bike after fuck my life. Lol
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 07-06-2015 at 12:35 AM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    I was launched off the bike to the point where I was 30ft off the bike up in the air. The bike was ghost riding, to which I landed hard on the tank.
    Just to be clear, you're saying the bike threw you 2 stories high and you managed to land on the tank?

Originally posted by Mibz
    Just to be clear, you're saying the bike threw you 2 stories high and you managed to land on the tank?
    ...and salvage it without setting the bike down?

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by Mibz
    Curious too. I'm Not great a physics.

Being launched 30 feet in the air means you need speed...Falling from 30 feet and gravity doing its thing might add speed? Coming to a dead stop means quite the amount of force on your body? Even minus shocks, and sounds like bike kept up right. Impact alone doesn't seem favourable to internal organs.

I got bucked with one hand still on bike came back down hit tank regained control and thought my chest was going to implode. I'd give a generous 3 feet. Couldn't imagine 10 times that.
    Last edited by ryder_23; 07-06-2015 at 10:34 PM.

Are these still the recommended/best places for motorcycle lessons or are there some updates places now that are comparable in quality?

1) What do I need to do in order to get a Class 6 license?
    Although not required by law, I strongly recommend taking a riding course through a motorcycle school. This will make sure that you are well informed of how a motorcycle operates. Taking a riding course will not only improve your general riding skills, but will also provide (most of the time) better rates once you shop around for insurance. A lower test permit cost may also apply. I personally recommend Too Cool Motorcycle school. Here are a few motorcycle schools in Calgary. I have gone through Too Cool, and they have been excellent!

a) Too Cool Motorcycle School
    Phone #: 403-202-0099

Gold Daytime Course - Price: $699.00 + GST - 4.5 Hours Classroom & 23 Hours On Bike - 4:1 Student Instructor ratio with a class maximum of 12 students
    Silver Weeknight Course - Price: $599.00 + GST - 4.5 Hours Classroom & 18 Hours On Bike - 4:1 Student Instructor ratio with a class maximum of 12 students
    Silver Weekend Course - Price: $599.00 + GST - 4.5 Hours Classroom & 18 Hours On Bike - 4:1 Student Instructor ratio with a class maximum of 12 students
    Gold Course Retake - Price: $361.00 + GST - Placed as an 12 student - Please call for more information.
    Silver Course Retake - Price: $300.00 + GST - Placed as a 12 student - Please call for more information.
    Refresher Course - Course Price: $239.00 + GST - 4.5 Hours of training - 3:1 Student Instructor Ratio (6:00PM to 10:30PM)
    Emergency Training Course - Course Price: $219.00 + GST - Courses are Friday Nights from 6PM till 10PM - Please call for more information.
    b) Calgary Safety Council
    Phone #: 403-287.2990 Fax. 403-243-8565
    [email protected]

2014 rates (GST Included)
    Week(end) course: $550.00
    Week-long course: $490.00
    Repeat Course: $250.00
    Skills Course: $200.00
    Advance Course: $200.00
    Scooters Training: $250.00
    Practice Course $200.00
    Private Lessons $750.00

This school also offers ladies only courses, for groups of 5 or more, at a cost of $550 (available weekday evenings only).
    They also offer a $50 discount to full time students, with proof of enrollment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I would still recommend Too Cool for sure. I heard that SAIT's course is actually really well done as well.
    My car sounds like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    I would still recommend Too Cool for sure. I heard that SAIT's course is actually really well done as well.
    Great, thanks for the info, wasn't aware SAIT has a program now too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

+1 for Too Cool. Did their course last summer and learnt a lot.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Bumping this again, Too Cool is still the place for classes?

My Ride
    06 S2000

I'd still recommend it.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

I'd still recommend it.
    Agreed with this, Too Cool is great, Thats where I went, at the Silver level. Two of my friends have used the group that takes over the parking lot downtown (775 9th ave SW) Which I think is Quality Driving School. One of them thought it was good, the other thought that they were unprepared for the test and that the course missed a bunch of safety manoeuvres. Milages may Vary obviously.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Too Cool is the benchmark for motorcycle school. 150% recommend.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Thanks guys, I'll put them at the top of my list.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7