Quantcast
Cardio and Bulking - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cardio and Bulking

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,337
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Cardio and Bulking

    For May/June I'm going to bulk, so I'm on a pretty calorie laden diet at the moment. However, I'm concerned about putting on more body fat than I'd like while I'm doing this.

    Will doing HIIT cardio effectively negate my bulking efforts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tdot n CT
    My Ride
    15,000 red line
    Posts
    358
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Hey man,
    I haven't read any articles or anything else on this topic but from personal experience I didn't see any significant results. Either I would not gain any muscle or I would still put on undesirable amount of fat if I did put on some muscle, I maintained 800 calories over my regular maintenance. BUT I've heard a couple of guys bulking with some cardio while staying lean and I would say its either due to their marvelous genes or their calorie intake was perfect..

    What usually works the best for me is simple bulking with +800 calories or cut with a lot of cardio.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    To me, you can really only do either effectively... lean or gain

    I prefer to gain first to establish a mass, specifically targeting your desired area

    Then lean through means of calorie reduction, cardio and circuit training

    However as of late, I want to increase my overall stamina, v02 max, and recovery. I do this by eating more carbs, all complex, and pushing my cardio to intervals of aerobic to anerobic and back. I have succesfully maintained my body weight, slowly reducing my bf% and increasing my V02 max

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I do HIIT personally, seems to work pretty well for me. I don't put on a lot of fat with it while bulking but still gain muscle as long as i keep the times the same with my workout and just throw HIIT at the end.

    I do cycles of full out sprints to almost walking pace.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Cardio and Bulking

    Originally posted by A790
    For May/June I'm going to bulk, so I'm on a pretty calorie laden diet at the moment. However, I'm concerned about putting on more body fat than I'd like while I'm doing this.

    Will doing HIIT cardio effectively negate my bulking efforts?
    More info...
    Why do you want to do HITT? It burns calories, which will make you eat more or not gain effectively.

    You do not need 2k extra calories to 'bulk'. Start with 500cal and check your weight and keep and eye on BF if the scale aint moving add another 250.. find that right spot and your golden. 500/day=3500/week which equals 1pd.. and it will not all be muscle that I can promise.

    I know the guys at IA are very against running when trying to build mass so I would avoid it with the elliptical or cycling to keep the conditioning up if that is your goal.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6
    Posts
    2,697
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    This is a tricky scenario, I'll explain.

    HIIT is probably the best form of Cardio. It's short, intense, and most importantly burns much more fat than standard steady pace cardio.

    Kutt3R hit it dead on when he said the Cardio will burn calories. Here's the thing though, during bulking we want to recover as quick as possible for more frequency or volume, thus increasing muscle gains.

    Having a greater work capacity through cardiovascular work like HIIT or just High Intensity is good for recovery. So it becomes a double edged sword. Eat more to gain, but burn more doing cardio to get more recovery ability.

    Iron Addict likes having his clients doing x2/wk High Intensity cardio for recovery and fat loss. I agree and worked for me too. Twice a week elliptical (80% heartrate) for 20 minutes. Working up from 10 minutes adding 1 minute a session.

    A790, You ever heard of carb cycling? That can get you lean gains while cutting fat at the same time. The only draw back is you won't gain as much muscle as a traditional bulk, but in lieu of that fat will ALSO come off, not just stay put.

    So to wrap it up, do some form of high intensity cardio be it elliptical, HIIT, sprinting etc.

    I also appoligize for not having the routine/diet plan made that I was going too, I didn't abondon it - It's just that my cut didn't go quite to plan. My body shut off again lol. Re-working some things and gonna make it to 10% if I have to set fire to a daycare.



    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

    -H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,337
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Originally posted by Darkane
    My body shut off again lol. Re-working some things and gonna make it to 10% if I have to set fire to a daycare.



    You're my hero, man

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    bmw m3
    Posts
    883
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    bullk during the winter
    cut in the summer

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Darkane
    This is a tricky scenario, I'll explain.

    HIIT is probably the best form of Cardio. It's short, intense, and most importantly burns much more fat than standard steady pace cardio.

    Kutt3R hit it dead on when he said the Cardio will burn calories. Here's the thing though, during bulking we want to recover as quick as possible for more frequency or volume, thus increasing muscle gains.

    Having a greater work capacity through cardiovascular work like HIIT or just High Intensity is good for recovery. So it becomes a double edged sword. Eat more to gain, but burn more doing cardio to get more recovery ability.

    Iron Addict likes having his clients doing x2/wk High Intensity cardio for recovery and fat loss. I agree and worked for me too. Twice a week elliptical (80% heartrate) for 20 minutes. Working up from 10 minutes adding 1 minute a session.

    A790, You ever heard of carb cycling? That can get you lean gains while cutting fat at the same time. The only draw back is you won't gain as much muscle as a traditional bulk, but in lieu of that fat will ALSO come off, not just stay put.

    So to wrap it up, do some form of high intensity cardio be it elliptical, HIIT, sprinting etc.

    I also appoligize for not having the routine/diet plan made that I was going too, I didn't abondon it - It's just that my cut didn't go quite to plan. My body shut off again lol. Re-working some things and gonna make it to 10% if I have to set fire to a daycare.



    You can still get HITT in, but with kettlebells or lighter weight high rep full body exercises, lots of LISS as well.

    I prefer that over running etc.. although I enjoy rowing

    Dark you will get there... especially if you are working with Andrew. I am tempted to book a session or two with him to work on weaknesses.

  10. #10
    ecstasy_civic's Avatar
    ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    08 Si
    Posts
    2,410
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally posted by civic_rida
    bullk during the winter
    cut in the summer


    2 months is no nearly enough time for your body to put on any decent size and then cut up.

    To cut up and maintain your mass takes time and proper diet/cardio.

Similar Threads

  1. 10 Tips for Bulking

    By Gorilla in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 10-14-2006, 03:07 PM
  2. Bulking up for RCMP career

    By Alex_FORD in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 18
    Latest Threads: 06-23-2006, 12:27 AM
  3. fasted cardio / cardio on empty stomach

    By gggunit in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 02-18-2006, 02:53 AM
  4. Bulking Miracle Food for Cheap too

    By gggunit in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 29
    Latest Threads: 01-07-2006, 02:13 AM
  5. Bulking and Cardio

    By gggunit in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 15
    Latest Threads: 01-22-2005, 07:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •