Quantcast
Roofing costs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Roofing costs

Default Roofing costs

For 4000sqft, is $19,000 installed for an average (i.e., not top of the line shingles, but not craptacular either, something with 30yr warranty) product line in the ballpark for cost if you're doing the whole roof, or on the higher end of things?

I had to take a double take at the price when the Sears contractor told me that. Any chance Sears is known to realllllllllllllllllly highball?

I'm almost tempted to do it myself....almost..........

btw, how hard is it to re-roof your own house? I realize it's obviously a very physical job, but if you read up on how to do it and take 2-3weeks off, can you do it yourself with some friends? I asked my dad about this and he was telling me when he did it with his father (back in 1940ish) they were hauling tar up on the roof and all sorts of weird shit. Of course he also refuses to ever drive a bmw because back in 197X somebody told him that in order to change the oil in a bmw you have to remove the engine from the car, lol.
    Last edited by 2EFNFAST; 05-17-2009 at 01:06 AM.

My Ride
    Lease

Call some professional roofing company directly

http://www.bricorroofing.com/store/

Yea, I think on the high side

The problem is I don't really know any good roofing companies - my parents used Sears and were always happy with them. 9 out of 10 peopl eI've asked about roofing have absolutely hated the company they used (poor installation job, took too long, leaks, etc...)

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

I'd definately shop around a bit. $19,000 seems high, but you may be surprised that it's probably in the ball park if you're talking a 4000 sq.ft. house (with a Vette and replica Cobra in the garage ). Builder pricing on a new roof of a 1500sq.ft. house is in the ball park of $4-5000. Your place is a lot larger than that, not to mention that they'll need to rip off the old roofing and haul it away, plus you're going to pay "retail" as opposed to builder pricing.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    preowned

the price also depends on the pitch of your roof and the number of pitches... but that figure seems high.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

yeah i would look at somebody other than sears. But I would say 19g, is in the ballpark for a large house like that with an upper quality roofing product. you could do the roof yourself, perhaps just get someone in to do the flashing work.

My Ride
    PL24T

Default Re: Roofing costs

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
    For 4000sqft, is $19,000 installed for an average (i.e., not top of the line shingles, but not craptacular either, something with 30yr warranty) product line in the ballpark for cost if you're doing the whole roof, or on the higher end of things?

I had to take a double take at the price when the Sears contractor told me that. Any chance Sears is known to realllllllllllllllllly highball?

I'm almost tempted to do it myself....almost..........

btw, how hard is it to re-roof your own house? I realize it's obviously a very physical job, but if you read up on how to do it and take 2-3weeks off, can you do it yourself with some friends? I asked my dad about this and he was telling me when he did it with his father (back in 1940ish) they were hauling tar up on the roof and all sorts of weird shit. Of course he also refuses to ever drive a bmw because back in 197X somebody told him that in order to change the oil in a bmw you have to remove the engine from the car, lol.
    Probably not a good idea to take 2-3 weeks to do it. If it rains while the shingles off you're fucked.

Default Re: Re: Roofing costs

Originally posted by drew_goring

Probably not a good idea to take 2-3 weeks to do it. If it rains while the shingles off you're fucked.
    Do you have to strip the whole house first? I thought you would strip a small area, underlay and shingle, then move onto the next, just incase the weather turns inclement so you arn't that exposed?

My Ride
    PL24T

Default Re: Re: Re: Roofing costs

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Do you have to strip the whole house first? I thought you would strip a small area, underlay and shingle, then move onto the next, just incase the weather turns inclement so you arn't that exposed?
    Not sure how that would work. You need to start at the top removing them, then start at the bottom when you are putting them on.

My Ride
    1992 Nissan 240sx

Can tell you now.

Call Cooper roofing in red deer, that is a rediculous price. they will still come anywhere in Alberta. Garenteed it will be around 11,000 not 19,000.

Thats very high
    *!*superfast!*!

My Ride
    1992 Nissan 240sx

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Roofing costs

Originally posted by drew_goring

Not sure how that would work. You need to start at the top removing them, then start at the bottom when you are putting them on.

I did roofing, for six years,
    you start stripping the roof from the middle, although all people have different ways of doing it, and yes you start from the bottom of the roof, work your way up, Of from the top, if you are doing Cambridge shingles, and work your way down, And for the 2-3 week thing, Dont do that, Makes wood rot alot faster, and it also leaks into your adic
    *!*superfast!*!

My Ride
    PL24T

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Roofing costs

Originally posted by super240

I did roofing, for six years,
    you start stripping the roof from the middle, although all people have different ways of doing it, and yes you start from the bottom of the roof, work your way up, Of from the top, if you are doing Cambridge shingles, and work your way down, And for the 2-3 week thing, Dont do that, Makes wood rot alot faster, and it also leaks into your adic
    Yeah, I definitely have no experience...just how I thought about it in my head.

You know, it's one of those things.... simple enough, in theory, to replace on your own.

However, little insignificant mistakes might result in small, unnoticeable leaks that do a hell of a lot of damage over time, resulting in very invasive corrections and major headaches... the chunk of money you saved will seem like nothing should you have a mold problem inside of your walls.

Find a reputable roofer, you have to search around to find them, but they are worth every penny. You get a warranty and peace of mind.

The one thing water always does to a home is damage it...

Like someone said it all depends on the pitch of your roof. Also depends how cut up your roof is. If there are a lot of angles and pitch changes there will be more waste.

Right now we are paying $304 per square (square ~ 100 sq ft.) for 50 year composite shingles.

You should be good with a 30 year cambridge, or BP Harmoney which would run you around $227 / 100 square feet., price goes up if you have a 2 storey, and anything over an 8/12 pitch.

Edit: As a side note Cooper Roofing out of red deer is great, but their travel time will add to your bottom line.

I would suggest Epic Roofing, we have used them on multiple occasions (insurance hail claims) and so far have had good luck.
    Last edited by Ruggzy_McTuggz; 05-19-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Don't use Sears. Ever.

All they do is hire a random roofing contractor and mark up their price accordinly.

Deal with a roofer directly.

Call Rush Roofing, 403-995-2199, I worked for them estimating for 3 years and they seem to do the best job and have the best waranties in the buisness.

There are a lot of factors in roofing price above material costs but $19 000 sounds like alot, I would expect under $15 000 for sure but I have been out of it for a few years.

Like mentioned before, doing it yourself isn't that tough but if you mess something up and end up with a leak it is really nice to have a warrenty that solves the problem instead of paying for it out of your pocket.

Rush will probably try to sell you on GAF timberline, it's pretty much the same as cambridge but comes with a better warrenty.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I had an 800 square foot roof redone in the fall and it was around $4000.
    I absolutely cannot recommend the jackasses that did mine. The good thing is that reputable roofing companies give free estimates. Grab the yellow pages or Google and start calling around.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?